Writing Disk Images to Famicom Disk? Stickers?

Started by shoggoth80, May 18, 2016, 02:26:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

shoggoth80

Ok. I am going to go out on a limb here. This is really 2 separate searches.

A good while ago, I had a member make me a disk of a couple games that I was really after. I'm very happy that he did. I cannot remember who it was though, as my messages don't go that far back anymore. I have some fan translated stuff that I wouldn't mind getting written to disk. Doesn't have to be official disks or anything. Bonus points for blue disks, because they look neat? Does anyone have the ability to do this?

Second... does anyone know of, or have a template for making stickers? Or a good source of scans? Perhaps even manuals/case picture? I know that I can't read Japanese, but it would be kinda neat to round out the package. I have a SMB2, and All Night Nippon SMB written to yellow Nintendo disk, and it would be neat to do it up Disk Writer style (used black and red right?).

I'll have to hunt around to see what else is out there in terms of translation patches. FDS ROM set not the hardest thing to come by, but getting it to something other than an emulator is a little tricky (aside from FDStick, which is a very tempting option). But being that I do not have a RAM adapter at this time, and a Sharp Twin Famicom is the only piece i have currently that has the disk drive(I am getting an A/V unit in the very near future), it would be neat to essentially do the repro thing with some disks.

aitsu124

You can write any FDS games to disks here: http://www.famicomdisksystem.com/disk-writing-dumping/

I've been thinking about doing the label thing, too. There are many packaging images out there, especially for the games you're talking about. You could start there. I have no idea how you would get the labels onto the disks, though.

Also, blue disks have more than just a special color, they also have shutters, which help keep out debris and dirt. Therefore, these are somewhat less likely to stop working in a short amount of time.
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

shoggoth80

Cool site. Thanks for the link. If I had the hardware, I'd be doing it myself. Lol.
I'd probably have to find some kind of larger sticker sheet, and work from there. Either that, paper, laminate, and glue...but that wouldn't look the same.
It's not so much that I want to make my unofficial disks look real as much as I hate writing on them with sharpie marker. Writing translations to blue disks would be kind of fun aside form the dust shutter. From what I read the blue ones were early run/promo stuff? It looks better than yellow for starters. Lol. But the idea of an English version of a FDS game strikes me as "if it existed as a one off, it would have been a promo thing." Just a goofy idea.
At this point, I wouldn't mind disk stickers being black and white... just anything other than handwritten. I have a very small FDS library (5 games, on 4 disks)... 1 official disk, one set of games written on official disk, and 2 pirate disks (these are black).  The FDS is the least used piece of my gaming hardware, and that seems a shame.

aitsu124

May 23, 2016, 11:29:41 am #3 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:53:03 am by aitsu124
The blue disks were sort of promo - they were used in Disk Fax competitions. The prime examples (actually, only examples) of this are the Golf games and the Famicom Grand Prix games.

No English version of an FDS game exists, but of course people are making translations. I wish there were translations of FDS Zelda 1 and 2, though.

The easiest thing I can think of for your situation is you could type up small labels, and stick them on some way or another. I don't know if that would be any better than writing.
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

shoggoth80

Maybe if I could find a way to artsy it up a bit. Glossy sticker in black and red or something. Written in English would be a good way to show "not original" without ruining the aesthetics of a clean label. Like taking a SMB2 Famicom label, shrinking it a little, and changing the color around or something.