PAL in NTSC

Started by shoggoth80, May 20, 2016, 03:59:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

shoggoth80

May 20, 2016, 03:59:39 am Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:40:03 pm by shoggoth80
Ok, so this question isn't directly related to the Famicom, but it does have a tie in to NES.

I'll start with it primarily concerns Playstation. I have a pretty neat game that I would like to play on my actual console. It's Hellnight. I believe it is PAL. I have swap discs for my PSX/PS2. It'll play. There is a black bar across the top of the screen, and the bottom part of the screen is cut off. Playable, but possible that I could miss something. I tried patching the image, several different ways. The only thing I get is a disc that does not boot after that. The image is made from my disc that does boot. It runs on ePSXe fine. Properly centered screen and all.

Is this a region issue? It does the same thing whether I use the stock A/V cables, or if I use composites.Could this be solved with running it through a PAL to NTSC box? Also, would the same box allow me to run PAL exclusives on NES into an American TV? It has been a VERY long time since I have had to worry about converting video signals. Some of my PSX games have a PAL/NTSC menu built into the front end, which is nice. This one does not, and go figure, it's one that seems extra cool. Lol.
It would be rad to play this one on real hardware.

Post Merge: May 22, 2016, 01:40:03 pm

So for anyone who cares. A)I applied various patches to the binary file using a tutorial found online. These steps didn't work on an ISO for me.
B)The screen is still a little off center no matter what Y axis values I use in the Y axis patching program. The upside: My import swap disc allows me to manually adjust the screen by holding the four shoulder buttons, and holding a direction on the D-Pad. So, all is well. I get a slight letter boxing effect, but that is a known issue when dealing with PAL to NTSC. When set evenly, it doesn't distract from game-play.
I'm pleased with the results in this regard.

Anyone with insight into how a PAL game in an NTSC (with 10NES clipped) behaves?

P

Quote from: shoggoth80 on May 20, 2016, 03:59:39 am
a PAL to NTSC box, would the same box allow me to run PAL exclusives on NES into an American TV?
Anyone with insight into how a PAL game in an NTSC (with 10NES clipped) behaves?

Oh you are talking about NES now? You'd need a PAL NES to play PAL NES games correctly. Some PAL games may be identical to their NTSC version though (meaning they technically behaves incorrectly on their native system).

And yes a PAL<->NTSC converter should be enough to make a PAL NES system run on an NTSC TV (and the other way around too). Some converter boxes are bad quality though, so check reviews and such first.

shoggoth80

Lol. I was talking about both PlayStation, and NES...both involving PAL signals in slightly different manners.

P

Yeah anyway the PAL NES is a bit different on the inside from the NTSC NES (which is pretty much identical with the Famicom), so that's why it's not just a manner of disabling the region lockout chip, or using a signal converter like for the Playstation.