Kira Kira Star Night DX First PV released. (EDIT: New 8 bit music power boards!)

Started by ImATrackMan, May 24, 2016, 12:39:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ImATrackMan

If this has the same compatibility issues as 8 BIT MUSIC POWER, I am throwing the biggest shit fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMB5FK2YMVA

EDIT:
Got too excited too soon.

【ご注意】
*純正FC及びFC互換機のすべてに対応するものではありません。製造時期等により動作しない場合があります。

Looks like I'm making dedicated MMC3 boards to give to people who get this, because this is the exact same issue as 8BMP. Won't work in any NESes at all, if 8BMP did not work in your FC, then this won't either, and may even fry it. Expect the same shoddy cart manufacturing and factory bodges.

jensma

Compatibility issues? Do you have a link at hand? I can't seem to find any about this.

Ghegs

Quote from: jensma on May 24, 2016, 03:02:07 am
Compatibility issues? Do you have a link at hand? I can't seem to find any about this.

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=12633.0

Many people here reported problems.

jensma

Damn, what a bummer. I hope the build quality is better for the next game.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9195 mit Tapatalk

mfm

So they learned absolutely nothing from the last time?  ???

UglyJoe

I'm a sucker for moe stuff a lot of the time, but I don't think I'm going to buy another Famicom cart that doesn't work on my Famicom :P

ImATrackMan

As I said, I'm probably gonna buy it only because I've been waiting three years for the final release, and so I can make dedicated MMC3 boards for owners of the cartridge (assuming the shells are the same internally).

If anything, the two may use the exact same board just with a different ROM. Kira Kira is also an MMC3 game that (as far as I know) requires no WRAM or battery backup. if this is the case, I could start work now, but it would be kind of disappoonting to make the boards and have the carts use a different configuration.

fcgamer

I want this!  When will it be available for order?!?!?
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

ImATrackMan

May 24, 2016, 04:44:08 am #8 Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:58:51 am by ImATrackMan
Right now. If you live in Japan, Amazon preorders are already open. No overseas shipping is available.
Quote from: mfm on May 24, 2016, 04:03:42 am
So they learned absolutely nothing from the last time?  ???
Quote from: jensma on May 24, 2016, 03:27:16 am
Damn, what a bummer. I hope the build quality is better for the next game.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9195 mit Tapatalk

I just think 8BMP was them testing the waters for a large scale release. It didn't really have any buildup or development log or really any announcement before it showed up, unlike KKSN which has had nearly 5 years of announcements and development. this is especially disappointing for somebody like me who is been closely following the development for much of that time especially considering that the "official" cartridges for v1 and all demo/event/prototype carts of v2 use a proper board with proper DIP ROMs and a CPLD MMC3. it would make sense that they use the Music Power boards, because it's in very much the same configuration as KKSN and they very likely have multiple thousand boards already produced.

EDIT: Also, I'm very serious about making dedicated TK/TLROM boards for this and 8BMP (I might just go full TKROM since there's no harm in doing it besides individual board cost.) I just have to learn how to create/edit components in KiCAD. I'm not waiting three years for a game release only to see it and not buy it. Excuse my Canadian, but that's horseshit.

jensma

Quote from: ImATrackMan on May 24, 2016, 04:44:08 am
EDIT: Also, I'm very serious about making dedicated TK/TLROM boards for this and 8BMP (I might just go full TKROM since there's no harm in doing it besides individual board cost.) I just have to learn how to create/edit components in KiCAD. I'm not waiting three years for a game release only to see it and not buy it. Excuse my Canadian, but that's horseshit.

I made a TKROM-Board just for fun some time ago. It's routed to accept 27C0X0-eeproms without rewiring and it's design is somewhat oriented on the original pcb.

Maybe we can work together on this?

ImATrackMan

Wow, you pretty much have this done. All you need are the measurements for the CC cartridge mounting holes. if you can fit those in, your board can be used in the CC cart and Nintendo cart shells. They're actually in a pretty terrible spot because they're right where the bottoms of the EPROMs would be.

jensma

What the.. that looks like a $3 pirate cart.

Exact measurements would be nice. My design requires a salvaged MMC3 though. Is the game already dumped? Is it based on a mmc3 mapper?
I can do both versions, suitable for a famicom- and for a cc-cart.

xIceMan

For MMC3 just use AX5202P. Works with all MMC3 games from what I know and can be bought from Aliexpress. ;)

But yeah, I plan to get the game too if it wasn't the same crap like 8BMP.

Ghegs

Despite my AV Famicom running 8-Bit Music Power without problems, I don't want this. The gameplay looks utterly boring. And I don't want to support a homebrew that doesn't 100% work on the original hardware it's designed for. That's just horrible and mindbogglingly stupid.

ImATrackMan

May 25, 2016, 09:33:16 am #14 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:44:07 am by ImATrackMan
Quote from: jensma on May 25, 2016, 02:39:22 am
What the.. that looks like a $3 pirate cart.

Exact measurements would be nice. My design requires a salvaged MMC3 though. Is the game already dumped? Is it based on a mmc3 mapper?
I can do both versions, suitable for a famicom- and for a cc-cart.
Quote from: xIceMan on May 25, 2016, 06:51:40 am
For MMC3 just use AX5202P. Works with all MMC3 games from what I know and can be bought from Aliexpress. ;)
But yeah, I plan to get the game too if it wasn't the same crap like 8BMP.

The blob is just the "MMC3", with the SMT ROMs on the other side. I wouldn't go the AX5202 route. Space is an issue and notice the heavy parallax scroll in the KKSN stages. There's quite a high chance that's done with IRQs and IIRC, IRQs are one of the things missing from the 5202, so salvaged MMC3s are the way to go. The game's not dumped yet as it's not released, but yes, it is an MMC3 game.
Quote from: Ghegs on May 25, 2016, 07:36:07 am
Despite my AV Famicom running 8-Bit Music Power without problems, I don't want this. The gameplay looks utterly boring. And I don't want to support a homebrew that doesn't 100% work on the original hardware it's designed for. That's just horrible and mindbogglingly stupid.
The game will work on every Famicom, the issue is that the cartridges don't boot in certain circumstances because they use 3v ROM chips on a 5v circuit. It's also a pretty addictive game coming from someone who has v1.