SNES shaky/jittery video.

Started by SuperDerpBro, May 28, 2016, 04:46:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDerpBro

I got an SNES mini here. When i boot up any game the picture kind of shimmys left to right slightly. Mostly at the top of the screen. This is on a CRT and  with an official PSU. Everybody i have asked says to buy another power supply. Thing is they are like $40 CAD on eBay.ca. I don't really want to spend $40 on something that might not even fix the problem. So I am wondering if there are any cheaper option that don't include one of those cheap ones from China. Or if anyone has any other ideas of what it could be.

If i find an AC adaptor that is 9 or 10v and higher than 850mA can i just cut the plugs off both and solder the wires together? Are the wires color coded under the sheilding?

I just tried letting it run for a few hours to see if it was the caps (they all look perfect) from a suggestion somebody gave me. No change.

Thanks

P

They may not have the same colours so if you cut them you must know which is negative and which is positive. Then you'll have to solder the negative to the center pin in the case for SNES.

SuperDerpBro

Yea, that's what i am worried about :/

Pikkon

If you use a multi-meter you can easily find where the positive and negative go.

I use for the most modern switching psu's with my old gaming systems,way better than using a old ass one.

SuperDerpBro

Quote from: Pikkon on May 28, 2016, 08:02:17 pm
If you use a multi-meter you can easily find where the positive and negative go.

Can you explain how?

I use for the most modern switching psu's with my old gaming systems,way better than using a old ass one.

Care to recomend one? Or show your setup?

P

Quote from: SuperDerpBro on May 28, 2016, 09:08:38 pm

Can you explain how?

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Voltmeter
But instead of probing the wall outlet you probe the wires of the AC/DC-adapter, so set the multimeter knob to the smallest DC voltage setting that is a higher voltage then the adapter (probably 20 V DC). If you set the probes the "wrong" way (black probe on positive lead), you just get a negative voltage value, and then you know the polarity.

SuperDerpBro

Yea that's what i thought. Im not messing around with bare wires plugged into the wall. :/

P

Yeah well better be safe than sorry.
I use test wires with insulated crocodile clips in both ends, together with my multimeter to test things like this. If the adapter is working it should only be 10 V DC in the end you are testing.