Famicom Disk System is noisy (and not working)

Started by VegaVegas, June 21, 2016, 10:56:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaVegas

Hi, I just bought a white label Famicom Disk System that was not working from the purchase and as always, it needed the belt replacement of course. After I replaced the belt, unfortunately it doesn't read any disk. All it does is try to read the disk but it loops forever and can't do nothing, the screen is only saying "loading" and nothing else.... I also noticed it is very noisy while reading, there are some strange grinding sounds.... After I disassembled it again, I could see that when I turn the spindle hub, it grinds at around 1/4 of a turn on a specific position every time. I know that FDS shouldn't be that loud anyway. Anyone know what problem that could be?? Should I adjust the spindle hub screw or just leave it?? If it's not the spindle hub height problem then what can this be?? I know that the belt has been replaced successfully and works well. I could hear that some metal things are grinding against each other but.... what can that be?? Please for reply and any kind of advices or help will be strongly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!!

Arkanix38

I would check to make sure the gears are positioned correctly, a misaligned gear could potentially cause the grinding noise you heard.

zmaster18

First of all, did you clean the old grease off and put new oil on all moving parts?

When an FDS tries to load and loops forever, it means that there is a switch that the head assembly isn't hitting. The FDS doesn't know that reading has completed because the switch doesn't get pressed fully. This problem usually has to do with the moving parts not being oiled enough.

Pro tip: Always completely lubricate the FDS when repairing it - you will eliminate many problems!

famifan

white plastic gears are worn-out pretty bad on my copy of FDS.
actually, several teeth in a series are partly half broken on driven sprocket. but it's still working. no idea how long it will last.

perhaps, your FDS got the same damage, i don't know.

VegaVegas

What should I oil it with?? Is bicycle chain oil capable for this purpose??

famifan

Quote from: MaarioS on June 22, 2016, 08:06:33 am
What should I oil it with?? Is bicycle chain oil capable for this purpose??

please, no oil. oil tends to leak everywhere and couldn't provide long lasting coverage.

i think it's better to use some sort of consistent lithium based general purpose/universal grease. perhaps NGLI 2 or similar grade.

choose of proper grease depends only on friction pair anyway. for metal to metal friction it's better to use lithium based grease. for plastic/rubber - silicone based is preferred.

don't forget to remove excessive grease :)

80sFREAK

Quote from: MaarioS on June 21, 2016, 10:56:15 amAll it does is try to read the disk but it loops forever and can't do nothing, the screen is only saying "loading" and nothing else....
Check switch, toggled by head unit.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

VegaVegas

Yeah I just noticed that. I watched all the switches on the circuit board and they are fine:

Well... except for this one located at the end of the head. It's missing some spring thing:

Dang it.... where can I obtain it?? Is there anyone that can sell just a bare FDS PCB?? Even a not working one??