April 20, 2024, 05:40:23 am

Mini NES

Started by Raverrevolution, July 14, 2016, 05:51:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghegs

Quote from: FamicomRetroGamer on July 16, 2016, 08:36:47 am
Anyway, modders will find a way to add in more NES roms so that's not really a huge issue.

Possibly, but if somebody's hoping and waiting for that, consider that it will no longer be a legal, simple plug 'n play, 100% official Nintendo thing anymore, which is what the product is all about. At that point you really might as well pick up a Raspberry Pi and hook that up instead.

L___E___T

I think people will find a way eventually to put other things on there, but don't expect that overnight by any means.

I don't understand the whole 'just get a Raspberry Pi' though - half the appeal is that it's a cute little official NES...

But then again there are models like this available for the able:

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

zmaster18

I have a good feeling that this console is going to be an extremely compact Wii board that only plays these 30 NES games in the Virtual Console format. However, the Wii/Wii U Virtual Console NES game emulation is notorious for being darker in color, like this:

I hope the emulation is better!

L___E___T

I don't mind that so much - it's obviously not a serious little retro gaming machine and I think it'll feel quite cheap when it arrives.

I pre-ordered one for Christmas to play with the family at the time and then I might keep it in the office for kicks or just keep it in another room.

really tempted to turn it into a Famicom Mini version though...
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

NintendoKing

Should be cool to see mini Famicom's, it's definitely a possible mod. 3D Printing!

L___E___T

I think there are already case options with the like of BanPresto goodies like the memo pad and MD storage case, but they don't look as small or cute ~

Or you could make a little mini Disk Kun case!

http://androidarts.com/palette/Famicube.htm
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

famifan

Quote from: Shumi Nagaremono on July 16, 2016, 04:14:44 am
As for the "why not just emulate" comments, I'd point out that, yeah, stealing *is* usually cheaper than paying for stuff, but it's not something to brag about in polite company.

???
i can't tell for all countries, but...  for example, in russia you're allowed to use ROM image if you have the original cartridge. so, there're no stealing or any other copyright infringement unless you're emulating the games from cartridges you actually don't have. it's called as 'fair use'

i do personally own more than 300pcs of good games on legit cartridges. it's pretty enough for playing without any stealing in mind.

L___E___T

I just had a little bit of a panic.  being a UK customer - do you think the games will be 50hz nonsense?  I have a feeling the Virtual Console games are...

If so I need to cancel my pre-order and get a US version on import! 
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Ghegs

A local (Finnish) store just opened up pre-orders for this. Costs 80 EUR for the system and 20 EUR for an additional controller. :(

On the plus side, they specifically mention that it will have the original US NTSC/60 Hz -versions of the games. Out on November 11th.

They even had the European box to show:

L___E___T

Thanks Ghegs, you can grab it on Amazon if you prefer.  I pre-ordered it from GAME in the UK as I know their store manager and trust them to send out on time with care.

I definitely prefer the US version's packaging with those red stripes, but heck I will happily get one to actually play and another to 'store'.  I'll make that the US version.

Here's to hoping they make a Japanese Famicom version.  For me it's a question of when, rather than if.  It's too good not to.  They have a bit longer to get the titles right.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Ghegs

Quote from: L___E___T on July 22, 2016, 11:51:13 am
Here's to hoping they make a Japanese Famicom version.  For me it's a question of when, rather than if.  It's too good not to.  They have a bit longer to get the titles right.

If they make it an AV Famicom then I might be interested. ;)

GreenKoopa

Quote from: Ghegs on July 22, 2016, 12:13:52 pm
Quote from: L___E___T on July 22, 2016, 11:51:13 am

If they make it an AV Famicom then I might be interested. ;)

Yeah, that would be great. However, i would hope they have a minimal double up with the mini nes selection of games.

Also, English language option for any of the included games. Im sure they would include a final fantasy and dragon's quest on there, along side the zeldas.   But, i guess their target market is Japan so we could be out of luck  >:(
Or, to include other parts of Asia, they could add the English option  8)

Great Hierophant

July 23, 2016, 06:23:08 pm #42 Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 06:30:29 pm by Great Hierophant
Suppose Nintendo makes a Famicom version with the same number of games, which games will be on it?  In my interpretation, Nintendo would like to mirror a Famicom Mini similar to a NES Mini, but with a game selection more targeted towards Japanese tastes.

To help gauge the tastes of the Japanese, I used this list : http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2012/02/top-100-famicom-games-as-voted-by.html

I tried to ensure that no more licensees would need to be added  I also wanted to keep a good mix of game genres, 1st vs 3rd party, etc.

Here would be my educated guess of what a Famicom Mini would contain :

Akumajou Dracula
Akumajou Densetsu (because no one really liked the FDS version of CV2)
Balloon Fight
Devil World (its a Miyamoto game and fills the Pac-Man hole)
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Downtown Special - Kunio Kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou! (Technos' beat-em-up entry, one of the Kunio games has to be on there)
Dragon Quest 3 (there is no reality where this is left out)
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy (It's already on there, 3 isn't and 2 is meh)
Famicom Wars
Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi  (no room for Gaiden)
Ghosts 'n' Goblins (Makimura)
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros
Metroid
Mother
Rockman 2
Pro Yakkyu Family Stadium (The obligatory sports/baseball entry)
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2 (Can't leave a hole here)
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario USA (We are a bit short in the platformer department)
The Legend of Zelda
Tower of Druaga (I fail to see the appeal, but the Japanese love this)
Xevious (Ditto)
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (Essential even if not the most regarded)
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Ghegs

It occurred to me that the NES Classic is lacking Tetris. It's the fifth best selling game on the system according to Wikipedia, you'd think it to be a shoo-in. Then again, it's not on any Virtual Console either and the GB Tetris was actually removed from 3DS' VC last year without any explanation. I'm just going to assume The Tetris Company is power tripping again.

@Great Hierophant

Sounds like a realistic list. Maybe replace Donkey Kong Jr. with Spelunker?

GreenKoopa

Quote from: Great Hierophant on July 23, 2016, 06:23:08 pm
Suppose Nintendo makes a Famicom version with the same number of games, which games will be on it?  In my interpretation, Nintendo would like to mirror a Famicom Mini similar to a NES Mini, but with a game selection more targeted towards Japanese tastes.

To help gauge the tastes of the Japanese, I used this list : http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2012/02/top-100-famicom-games-as-voted-by.html

I tried to ensure that no more licensees would need to be added  I also wanted to keep a good mix of game genres, 1st vs 3rd party, etc.

Here would be my educated guess of what a Famicom Mini would contain :

Akumajou Dracula
Akumajou Densetsu (because no one really liked the FDS version of CV2)
Balloon Fight
Devil World (its a Miyamoto game and fills the Pac-Man hole)
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Downtown Special - Kunio Kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou! (Technos' beat-em-up entry, one of the Kunio games has to be on there)
Dragon Quest 3 (there is no reality where this is left out)
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy (It's already on there, 3 isn't and 2 is meh)
Famicom Wars
Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi  (no room for Gaiden)
Ghosts 'n' Goblins (Makimura)
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros
Metroid
Mother
Rockman 2
Pro Yakkyu Family Stadium (The obligatory sports/baseball entry)
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2 (Can't leave a hole here)
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario USA (We are a bit short in the platformer department)
The Legend of Zelda
Tower of Druaga (I fail to see the appeal, but the Japanese love this)
Xevious (Ditto)
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (Essential even if not the most regarded)

That's a great list.  I would suggest removing dk jr, akumajo x 2 and replace with three shooters.