Sega Saturn protection gets cracked

Started by famifan, July 17, 2016, 05:59:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

famifan

it may sound so last week

but, recently there's a news about a man who's claimed to bypass disk drive protection and is being able to load the games somehow through some sort of usb flash drive. (you can find a lot of links to that news and video in search systems)

::)

it's still WIP and not yet available, but it's just question of time. i'm so sure that in foreseeable future, almost everyone with moderate soldering skills will be able to install the <mod kit> and play.

isn't it the right time to grab the system? unless the price goes very high due to this news widespreading.
has anyone noticed any spikes in SS system selling?

JessicaWolf

I actually bought a Saturn like 3 days before the video of his work was released. My hope is that it will spur on a lot more translation and such, because there are so many good games that never got translated or fully translated for the Saturn. I am also hoping the add on card wont be like $300.
Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

HokusaiXL

The idea was to use the multimedia expansion port in the rear of the machine to put the USB backup device into thus requiring zero soldering skills.  But I hope this spurs on another Everdrive style device for the Saturn, as it definitely needs it.
I don't know how to fox. D:

JessicaWolf

Quote from: HokusaiXL on July 17, 2016, 04:25:59 pm
The idea was to use the multimedia expansion port in the rear of the machine to put the USB backup device into thus requiring zero soldering skills.  But I hope this spurs on another Everdrive style device for the Saturn, as it definitely needs it.

Mhmm! It should be extremely easy to use and I think it is a very interesting hack. Again, I just hope the price isn't insane. I love the EverDrive stuff but very few people can justify spending $200 on a little piece of hardware to play games.

L___E___T

I was going to get a RHEA / PHOEBE but think I'll hold off for now and wait for this.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

I remember using burned Saturn discs in college.  We taped the "door is closed" sensor so that it always thinks it's closed, then we would do a disc swap.  The timing was a little tricky and it is apparently bad for the drive motor, but it worked almost every time ;D

This sounds a whole lot easier, though.  I especially like that it bypasses the disc drive, since a lot of the drives have gone bad.

JessicaWolf

Well the cool thing you can do now is burn a little program called Pseudo Saturn to an Action Replay cartridge and that will allow you to play burned and imported games without having to abuse the system and CD drive each time. I actually plan on doing this tomorrow so I can play burned games on my Japanese Saturn v2.

jpx72

Well I have a modchip that cost me around 30usd and it's doing the hard work by itself. Minimum skill needed to install. Works on my EU and also JAP console.

L___E___T

I heard that modchips can cause a lot of wear - is that nonsense then?  

I don't have a Saturn yet (getting a V-Saturn later this year), but incredibly somebody GAVE me one of these very elusive official boot discs!

More info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdOdhjv1FNY (no this is not me, not my video or anything) ;)
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

jpx72

I don't see a reason why should a mod chip cause extra wear, it's a piece of software on a chip that causes the console to "think" that you have an original disc. Maybe I don't see something, but never have I heard about that "wear" problem. My consoles work like a charm.

L___E___T

That's what I mean - hardware makers used to tout that as a warning but it always came off as scaremongering.  I also heard that swapping discs using the timing method would cause problems too, wear down the laser but I never knew where those fell between legit truth and old wives tale.

On a similar topic, did the MegaCD ever get a modchip?
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

jpx72

No, there is this software tool that can change region on any iso image, so you can burn and play it. So I guess the MegaCD modchip would be only an expensive solution.

P

Perhaps the CD-R discs could cause more laser wear but not the modchip.