Atari 2600 Jr. first player problem! Please HELP!

Started by FAMICOM_87, August 03, 2016, 06:42:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FAMICOM_87

Hi I noticed today that my Atari 2600 Jr. last edition around 1991 (128 on-board games) have a strange problem with the first player (left port) the second player (right port) is absolutely OK
In many games when I press LEFT or RIGHT  it aways goes to the RIGHT , in other games it is the opposite, but UP and DOWN are ok , the button is ok too.
In  "Strategy X " only button works and the TANK do not move at all .
in "Thunderground" UP and DOWN and button are working left and right do not.
in "Berzerk " the same as above game .

Any ideas? that could be wrong ? :question:
The last time I played it everything was OK  :gamer:

Please HELP!  :help:

famifan

afair, the schematic for atari's conroller is way too low-tech. it's just a bunch of wires and switches with no additional logic involved.

just find the schematic and check the pins on your port. every pin one by one. then check the controller.

it's very easy to repair. i think it's just broken wires or connection issues. a multimeter is your friend  :)

FAMICOM_87

August 03, 2016, 07:52:57 am #2 Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:12:26 am by FAMICOM_87
thanks to fast replay a found the schematic
http://www.vintagegamingandmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Atari2600A.jpg
http://www.computernerdkev.heliohost.org/vec2600/img/2600joy.gif
So the directions goes directly to the 6532 IC I hope that there is no issue with that chip ,
I change many working controllers they work on the second port ok.
So there is not problem by controller side

Post Merge: August 03, 2016, 08:12:26 am

I followed your advise and checked with multimeter.
Pins 3 and 4 on joystick port are in short circuit , hmm vary strange there is no visual sings.
thanks for the advise  :-[  :D

famifan

August 03, 2016, 08:23:56 am #3 Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:32:42 am by famifan
Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on August 03, 2016, 07:52:57 am
Pins 3 and 4 on joystick port are in short circuit , hmm vary strange there is no visual sings.

oh dear, that doesn't sound neat :o :-X :-\

in the past i've dealt with few consoles [not Atari 2600, but sega mega drive SoC clones, the root cause is the same, i'd guess] with damaged I/O pins on controller ports.

no idea how they got damaged. in fact, they've just suddenly malfunctioned with no visible signs. i dunno, it seems it's unrecoverable internal damage, probably caused by static discharge. the only way to overcome the issues with I/O pins - is to perform chip replacement.

FAMICOM_87

famifan

Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on August 03, 2016, 08:31:30 am
So you think that the IC 6532 is become bad :( 

if all PCB traces from the connector and up to the IC and the port's connector itself are fine, then i'm quite convinced that this 6532 is faulty. sorry :(

FAMICOM_87

August 03, 2016, 09:11:36 am #6 Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 03:21:12 pm by FAMICOM_87
:( I will desolater one ot the 2 pins of IC to see is there still short circuit

Post Merge: August 03, 2016, 09:34:09 am

good news :) I cut the trace near port ant the port is causing  the problem
IC is good ! :) So I will replace that connector :)  :D
Thanks!

Post Merge: August 03, 2016, 03:21:12 pm

you will not believe what happed!
When I desoldered the connector the short circuit stops. on the 2 pins of the IC  and on the 2 pins of the actual connector . so I decide to solder it back  :fire:
when it was done I played for a minute or less,  everything was ok, but suddenly  the problem appeared in the middle of the game!  :o
WTF then I turn off the console measured again those 2 pins on the controller port and they again where short circuited!!!
So I desolder one of them and turn on the console  , and what expected one ot the direction did not work.
So I resoldered it again and again all is OK for now :P
I hope that will not happen again ! Now I am playing about 30 minutes and all seem to be ok  :gamer: