i can't hear some sound on zelda sword and metroid doors, why?

Started by Arnold101, August 22, 2016, 10:00:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold101

i can't hear some sound on zelda sword "launch" and metroid doors, why? i have a faulty ram adapter? i use a famicom with fdsstick. on the everdrive i hear them :(

satoshi_matrix

It could be two things:

The Famicom has four sound channels and FDS adds another. Two of the channels are the main square waves where the sound effects come from. But those same channels are where the music comes from.

Sometimes, when there are multiple sound effects and music, some sounds don't get played because there aren't enough sound channels available.

It's also a glitch that can happen depending on the game. Metroid does this even in FCEUX which is as perfect an emulator as you can get. It's the game code itself, nothing you're doing.

L___E___T

I've experienced this too - but I grew up with MegaDrive which exhibited that a lot so I never thought much of it, in fact I find it a little endearing.  

I feel like you've been away for a while Satoshi Matrix - great to see you back again! :D
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Arnold101

no guys is a hardware problem of ram adapter. like i said i can hear all the correct sound when i use the everdrive.

my ram adapter have the 4069 broken so i replaced it with an audio amplifier wich worked but i can't ear all the exp sounds. rupies, sword, game over sounds in zelda and doors in metroid.

if you look at ram adapter schematic i get sound input from pin 5 of 4069 and then amplify it to pin 6. works for the volume that is correct now, but i can' have any exp sound.

today i'll change the 4069, it can get back to working fine then? or is the 2c33 broken??

L___E___T

Hmm, that does sound unusual - alas I'm not technically knowledgeable but someone will be - so I'm moving this to the technical forum in hope you get an answer.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

Yeah rupees and the air-lock doors in Metroid are all FDS sound channel sound effects. The music in both Zelda and Metroid are also using the channel a lot so they should also sound totally wrong if the channel isn't working.

I think the sound engine in those two games is designed so that sound effects have priority if they are using the same channel as the music at the same time.

Yeah I guess you could see what happens if you put the 4069 back. Or maybe you made a mistake with the pins.

Arnold101

thanks LET, i let you know P after change it

Post Merge: August 23, 2016, 11:37:47 am

changed the 4069 do the same as before :((((((((((  :'( i have a faulty 2C33?

Post Merge: August 23, 2016, 01:51:23 pm

now it is finally working  ;D

fixed a bad trace  ;D

Arkanix38

bad traces are the bane of my existence. Good to hear you got it working!

Great Hierophant

The FDS has one sound channel, generated by the 2C33 chip in the RAM Adapter and mixed with the internal Famicom audio (5 channels) in the RAM adapter.  The 4069 acts as an amplifier for both the FDS and internal audio. 

Because there is only one FDS sound channel, the sound is generally used either for music or for sound effects, seldom both at the same time.  If you can't hear the door opening in Metroid, the sword throw in Zelda or the injured sound in Palutena no Kagami, then there is something wrong with your FDS adapter.  It could be as simple as a 4069 replacement or a bad trace. 
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

P

You are right, I listened at the NSFs for Zelda and Metroid and both games only use the FDS channel for the title screen, ending and jingles, but not in the normal BGMs.