Why is Rare's nes games (Snake Rattle N Roll,R.C. Pro-AM) not released in Japan?

Started by siyah beyaz, August 25, 2016, 02:52:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

siyah beyaz

Hello!

i am bahadir, sometimes it: the british video game developer and programmer company rare's NES games (R.C. Pro-Am,Snake Rattle N' Roll) and port-programmed NES games (Arch Rivals,NARC) why is not released and never released in Japan? ??? :-[ :o :gamer: :star: WHYWHYWHY??????  ??? :fire: :octorok: :pow:  :bub:

Thanks! !
Soccer League Winners Cup - The Babies

crystal

The Japanese are mostly into RPG's and Novel/Adventure games if anything. Save for some exceptions like the Rockman or Kunio-Kun series, most Action games were not as successful there in comparison to the west. That's why some Japanese companies (like Konami, Data East or KID) started to make Action games specifically with the western audience in mind by releasing them in North America (and sometimes in Europe) first and then in Japan. Either that or they'd not even bother releasing in Japan at all. This became more common late in the Famicom/NES cycle where they noticed their Action games were not selling as much in their native country.

That said, the Rare stuff would most likely not appeal to a Japanese audience, hence why they were not released there.

satoshi_matrix

No no, the reason was because Rare did not have a Japanese publisher. Rare was a rather prolific NES developer, but they were still a small studio at the time. In North America and Europe, Nintendo stepped in and adopted Rare Coin It as a second party developer, publishing many of their games.

In Japan, Nintendo didn't serve as the publisher for anyone but their own in house games. Rare probably wasn't able to afford a publisher and thus, most Rare games were not released in Japan. The few that were came out under completely different names by a multitude of different publishers.

You can't simply conclude that Rare games didn't appeal to Japanese gamers. There might have been a bit of that, but that's not the main reason.

P

Yeah and there's lots of Japan-only action games. It's the other way around, in the west we mostly got action games (especially in Europe), since I guess it's the easiest genres to sell. But in Japan, where the market was bigger, there was room for much more variety to the genres.

So I don't think it's a genre problem (maybe a it's a problem of style though, British game designers loves wacky characters). Eventually they got Masaya to publish Battletoads though.

crystal

I stand corrected then. Thank you for sharing the information, guys.

And yeah, I agree that British love wacky character designs, and Japan generally prefer cute or sometimes cool. Even if Rare were to release their games there, they'd most certainly not sell as much as in the west, relatively speaking.