SOLD! Fully recapped SHARP x68000 sale! no longer want to complete the restore

Started by aarkay14, August 28, 2016, 05:41:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

aarkay14

Up for sale SOLDa project that I had been working on and spent a lot of effort and money!

The SHARP x68000 Compact XVI is fully recapped - all SMDs have been replaced with high quality TDK MLC capacitors that will never fail throughout your life, the radial capacitors are all Nichicon original replacements. This x68000 has been pampered well and a lot of affection was spent to replace all the old caps with new ones. Even the floppy drives have new X7R and X5R capacitors for 0 current distortion during motor runs for floppy.

The following are the repair work:

1. All capacitors in the PSU replaced.
2. the PSU wire that goes into the wall outlet has been replaced with a generic 3 prong pug (still under construction) - Added a Molex power connector from the PSU for any additional devices.
3. All capacitors on the motherboard fully replaced with TDK MLCC capacitors that will never die and never leak, the motherboard has been cleaned of any dirt or grime with 100% isopropyl alcohol, as always high quality work.
4. The body has been fully cleaned with Iso_propyl alcohol. During taking out the parts one of the hooks was chipped but that does not affect anything as there are many others.
5. I was in progress of making the SCSI to mini SCSI adaptor for the AzTech Monster SCSI to CF card adaptor when I gave up as it was too difficult to solder and everything.
6. New SRAM battery in place.
7. All capacitors in the Floppy drive units replace with TDK original X7R and X5R capacitors for 0 current distortion during motor runs

The x68000 is in working condition but the floppy drives do not read my home made burned floppies so I wanted to put in a hard drive.

I am willing to give away all of the below for 550 USD + Shipping from Japan (I am selling at a loss here)(PM me for offer in goods and cash)

1. x68000 Compact XVI (2 MB Ram) - fully recapped, working fine.
2. X68000 Compact to PS/2 keyboard converter
3. x68000 Compact video to VGA converter, VGA to HDMI converter (please note it outputs to non standard HDMI)
4. SCSI to CF Card adaptor
5. 4 GB transcend CF card
6. CZ-6BM1 x68000 MIDI card (supports Tape backup)

Please let me know if you want the Japanese keyboard as well, I will sell it and also send you the layout for x68k to PS/2 converter.
Please let me know in case of any conerns.

Please see pics below:

This stuff is for serious modders and collectors!

Everything works absolutely fine! but this is old hardware and hence NCNR once it is in your hands.

Video showing everything assembled and computer turning on : https://youtu.be/dW3SQtIKKoI

aarkay14

Elrinth

Is the outer casing intact? IE can we see images of everything put together?
Can you record a video of you actually inserting two diskettes and it is reading a game from both disk drives?

aarkay14

Quote from: Elrinth on September 18, 2016, 12:59:02 pm
Is the outer casing intact? IE can we see images of everything put together?
Can you record a video of you actually inserting two diskettes and it is reading a game from both disk drives?

Hi Elrinth,

Actually I does read the disks but does not load the game! I dont know what I am doing wrong but I have made a 4K video for you:

https://youtu.be/dW3SQtIKKoI

Both the drives read the disks but spit them out in a few seconds. I did not try the other because I did not read your comment completely.. :P But they do try to read it and spit it out!!

-Rama

Elrinth

cool.. but did you insert the gradius system disk? to me it look like you try insert the game data disk in drive 0. I think that won't work... or? because it want system disk in drive 0 and data disk in drive 1. else it won't work.

you have done a great job getting it working tho. I'm working on making disk drive 1 (second disk drive) to work on my own. (waiting for caps from china)

urnhurrell

Would you be willing to sell ONLY the MIDI board and the PS/2 to X68000 converter seperately?  :help: <- as you can see with this emote, I'm pretty desprate

leonk

silly question: will this work on pc vga monitor? or rgb monitor? what keyboard/mouse does it use? pc?

urnhurrell

I can answer these for you! I just got my Sharp X68000 and am having quite a time with it. Normal pc keyboards and mouses will not work on this without a special converter. older PC keyboard and mouse hookups are called "terminal" or "PS/2." These ports aren't the same as the X68000. As far as the video goes, RGB is the only normal video signal it has, and it's RGB plug has a different pinout than standard ones. Apparently people have fried their systems in attempt to hookup a standard RGB to their machines. I personally am using a cable I bought from retrocables.se (same for the controller). that converts X68000 RGB to VGA. Then another cable that converts VGA to composite. Then the composite from that to my Toshiba flat-screen CRT. Of course, if you buy the unit listed here, he's providing a full RGB to VGA to HDMI hookup (it seems), and a PS/2 keyboard converter. Another thing to note, as I mentioned above, I'm using a converter to allow use of a Genesis/Megadrive controller. The pinout is different for that too, so even though a Genesis/Megadrive controller will fit the port, it could also fry it. I hope I was of some help.

aarkay14

Quote from: urnhurrell on September 22, 2016, 07:45:37 pm
Would you be willing to sell ONLY the MIDI board and the PS/2 to X68000 converter seperately?  :help: <- as you can see with this emote, I'm pretty desprate

I am sorry but I can't :( maybe I can find one for you here in Japan.

Post Merge: October 01, 2016, 06:08:42 pm

Quote from: leonk on September 23, 2016, 09:09:08 pm
silly question: will this work on pc vga monitor? or rgb monitor? what keyboard/mouse does it use? pc?

Heyy Leon, This is working on my framemeister.. but I had to convert the Analog RGB(non-standard, from x68000) to VGA and then VGA to HDMI and then feed that non-standard HDMI to framemeister, all this creates a lot of quality loss however lag is unnoticeable. To make it work on Analog displays will be the best thing - you will have to find a display that takes in the 3 types of RGB or VGA signal. Some Old PC monitors had this capability but this is very undocumented..

I wish to inform you that I have just completed the restore last night and was able to boot a game from HDD ;) I will now list this up as complete after more tests!.

-Rama

Post Merge: October 03, 2016, 06:45:38 am

I FIXED IT!!!

I was using the wrong image and burning it to floppies - I had to use .XDF and I was burning .DIMs!!!! It works!!! AAhhhhhh!!!
Its an amazing system!! I have also been able to make it work with the SCSI2CF ! I will now complete the mod, it is off sale for some time now.. until I fully complete the mod.

-Rama

jpx72

aarkay14

Quote from: jpx72 on October 20, 2016, 12:24:15 am
Won't you miss it? It was a piece of beauty.... ;)

:'(  :'(  :'(  :'(
I will miss it Jan! I was keeping all my tears to me but your comment just broke me down... I spent so much effort on it...  :'(
I am happy it is going to a good home who will take care of it.. strangest thing is that x68000 Compacts are becoming scarce suddenly :(

The last time I turned it on yesterday, oh you should have seen the scan-lines on the character in Akumajou Dracula! oh they were so .. oh I just cant describe in words.... oh dear God What have I done!!!!  :'( But no its Ok... I can handle it... I needed the money...

-Rama

jpx72

;D Ah sorry it was not intentional!
As long as it's somewhere safe, it's okay. Things come and go, and sometimes they come back as something else.
;)

aarkay14

Quote from: jpx72 on October 20, 2016, 08:16:06 am
;D Ah sorry it was not intentional!
As long as it's somewhere safe, it's okay. Things come and go, and sometimes they come back as something else.
;)

Yes you are right!  ;D