Family BASIC

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:09:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cubelmariomadness

Yeah, I guess I don't really know why I posted that then  ;D
Sorry folks.

jpx72

October 12, 2011, 03:43:32 am #136 Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:15:18 am by jpx72
Quote from: Sebastien on February 25, 2011, 11:19:21 pm
Hi everyone,

I came across this thread while looking for info about Family Basic.
I am currently translating the manual and posting the translation of each page on the following site:
http://volunteers.playpower.org/photo?xg_pw=&page=4

Please feel free to check these pages and leave any comment in order to improve the translation.

-Sebastien

I don't know if anybody's watching his progress, but it seems to me that he actualy finished translating the whole Basic manual!
Great work!

zmaster18

Does anyone know what the 'GRPH' key does? It's not mentioned in the instructions I don't think...

UglyJoe

Quote from: zmaster18 on August 21, 2015, 06:56:20 am
Does anyone know what the 'GRPH' key does? It's not mentioned in the instructions I don't think...

Quote from: manuel on January 12, 2009, 10:06:19 pm
It says that it is used for adding those little dots (nigori) to katakana to make voiced consonants (e.g.  te テ -> de デ)

It's also used to input "graphic symbols" from the upper row of keys on the keyboard.

So you have to be in Kana mode for it to do much of anything.  I think you need to hold it down (like a shift key), but I don't have the keyboard here in front of me.

zmaster18

Quote from: UglyJoe on August 21, 2015, 07:48:39 am

Quote from: manuel on January 12, 2009, 10:06:19 pm
It says that it is used for adding those little dots (nigori) to katakana to make voiced consonants (e.g.  te テ -> de デ)

It's also used to input "graphic symbols" from the upper row of keys on the keyboard.

So you have to be in Kana mode for it to do much of anything.  I think you need to hold it down (like a shift key), but I don't have the keyboard here in front of me.

I just tried it and it works only in Kana mode like you said. It will add the nigori to katakana and will create a few graphic symbols when you press the number keys.

P

It's not mentioned in the instructions I don't think...

Page 4 and 9. It's for voiced consonants in kana mode but also for typing "graphical symbols". It's like the AltGr key on modern keyboards.

zmaster18

Quote from: P on August 21, 2015, 03:35:19 pm
It's not mentioned in the instructions I don't think...

Page 4 and 9. It's for voiced consonants in kana mode but also for typing "graphical symbols". It's like the AltGr key on modern keyboards.

Ah I see. My scan of the English-translated manual only starts on page16. 

P

Yeah that's the problem, the old translation only has the BASIC part of the manual. I scanned and translated everything up to page 15 but it's not inserted into any scan yet. It's just a text file.

UglyJoe

My copy of The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers Volume 2 arrived yesterday and it has a Hudson chapter.  Some interesting Family BASIC info from it:

- It was developed by Takashi Takebe.
- The Nintendo / Hudson relationship was fostered via Sharp.  Hudson had made a BASIC interpreter for one of Sharp's early PCs, so Sharp recommended them to Nintendo for Family BASIC.
- Family BASIC was developed on a Sharp X1 (which has a different CPU architecture!) and then cross-assembled for the Famicom.  This was apparently a common thing for Hudson to do at the time.

Check out the book (and volume 1) if you haven't already.  If you're into old development tools like Family BASIC then I can't see how you won't find the interviews interesting ;D

P

Sounds like a mighty interesting book! :) Also it looks to me, from the description, that they also finally took note of what could be yakuza connections for a certain video game company based in Kobe.

By cross-assembling do you mean they ran the code on the Sharp X1 through some kind of emulation? Developing video games on a computer with a different architecture must be the norm I thought (or maybe it's a modern concept?).

UglyJoe

Quote from: P on November 14, 2015, 09:19:51 am
By cross-assembling do you mean they ran the code on the Sharp X1 through some kind of emulation? Developing video games on a computer with a different architecture must be the norm I thought (or maybe it's a modern concept?).

It doesn't go into too much detail.  I doubt it was emulating anything, given that this was early 80s.

chowder

Quote from: P on November 14, 2015, 09:19:51 am

Yeah, cross assembling is pretty standard practice.  No one ever developed Famicom games on Famicom hardware, so I seriously doubt Famicom BASIC would have been either.  A different CPU is no obstacle, I develop Famicom games on a laptop with an Intel Core i5, and cross-assemblers were certainly around in the 80s.

P

Either way it's interesting to learn what kind of computers they developed the software on.

chowder

Quote from: P on November 14, 2015, 11:05:37 am
Either way it's interesting to learn what kind of computers they developed the software on.

Oh yes, definitely :)  I remember seeing some old pictures of dev hardware, but couldn't identify it.

fredJ

Could anyone help me?
I have a family basic cart with some rusty batteries in it that I fixed up, I hope.
How can I most easily test if it saves data?
I don't know much about family basic so a very simple step by step would help. Yes I have the keyboard. :D

Also, If anyone is interested I have a family basic V3 manual that I could take some pics from or if you want me to look something up, but it has 140 pages and I can't take pics of everything. (But of course you can buy it from me once I decide on a price)
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com