NES EXP help

Started by Dark_human, September 13, 2016, 11:52:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark_human

September 13, 2016, 11:52:22 am Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:26:40 pm by Dark_human
Hello Famicom World. Long time lurker, first time poster. My names dark human. I'm a pixelartist (8bitandart) and have recently been obsessing over the exp port on the bottom of the nes. I've made an adaptor, that lights up, plays Famicom expanded sound, has mono Red & white outputs, and added two more NES controller ports as well. I've followed all the 15 pin FC -> NES 48 pin ext examples I've seen here and I've almost got that working 100% as well (yesterday both could only take two inputs at once; Mario could run right, but would jump straight up. Double checked my soldering and I think both are working much better).
My question is why is it still reading the 48 pin connected controllers as p1 (2) and p2 (2) instead of p3 & p4. Contra can be played with p1&2 or p3&4 (or any combination therein), but games like super spike v ball will not register them or allow me to pick a 3/4 player game.

Also if anyone has a Famicom turbo file, I'd love to see the pcb inside so I can add ram to my NES. Thanks all!

famifan

Quote from: Dark_human on September 13, 2016, 11:52:22 am
My question is why is it still reading the 48 pin connected controllers as p1 (2) and p2 (2) instead of p3 & p4. Contra can be played with p1&2 or p3&4 (or any combination therein), but games like super spike v ball will not register them or allow me to pick a 3/4 player game.

actually, it depends on the software. Many games were programmed allowing only p1 and p2 in mind.

please check yet another thread about the list of games which support the controller connected to expansion port for Famicom. http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=13042.0

P

I remember that there was something special with Super Spike V Ball and multitaps. Try another 3- or 4-player game like Moero Twinbee or Bomberman 2.

Like Famifan said, wether the exp controllers are used as P1/P2 or P3/P4 or not used at all, depends on if the game was programmed with the exp port in mind. Also some games seems to need a special multitap, it won't work with just daisy-chaining the exp port, maybe Spike V was one of those games.

Dark_human

So my controllers work 100%.
I threw every 4 player game I had at it last night. Most 4 player games would let me select a 4 player game now, but still only use p1 and p2 for inputs (or use p3 and p4 as 1 & 2 still).

Spot the 7 up game (thanks grandma!) has full 4player support from the EXP as does Championship bowling. 

One player contra with four controllers is nuts tho lol. Everyone trying to control one guy.