Famicom Modem in 2016?

Started by BaconBitsKing, September 22, 2016, 07:02:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BaconBitsKing

Has anyone else thought about making something like a private server for the Famicom Modem?

I don't mean recreating the stock trades or horse betting (mostly because I doubt that could even be done), but something new. I feel like there's so many possibilities. Maybe something like a BBS using the Basic keyboard?

jpx72

I think something worked in some time not very long ago...
But I always dreamed about buying the modem and be able to connect to "something".

P

Quote from: jpx72 on September 23, 2016, 03:28:07 am
But I always dreamed about buying the modem and be able to connect to "something".

I agree, it's too bad these kind of peripherals are mostly useless today.

80sFREAK

October 08, 2016, 02:42:05 am #3 Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:51:32 am by 80sFREAK
Long time no see you guys :)

Well, technically possible to connect Famicom to the "something", but main issue is low text resolution of Famicom screen and where to connect.

Spoiler

added

So... most realistic is IRC and some sort of overlay FTN or overlay BBS. Just had a look @ebay, there is cheap bluetooth and wi-fi modules avaliable. Definately custom cart needed with big RAM and serial IO chip. EXT port for FB keyboard, so can't use same way as tape dumper soft UART. Maybe FDS adapter? There is extension port and 32K RAM.

Actually some early BBS software was written in Basic :) All we need is RAM.

added

Looks like cheap ESP modules pretty suitable for this concept. Do not expect "lurdiculous speed", but solid 9600bps pretty possible. Maybe even soft UART possible. Still big slice of RAM needed. I should dig out my notes for Basic devcart :)

There is still some BBS avaliable on the web. You can access them via telnet

http://www.telnet.org/htm/places.htm some links here, untested
http://cbbsoutpost.servebbs.com/ some links there, also untested
[close]
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

jpx72