Alternate type of power supply for Famicom

Started by toadhall, October 10, 2016, 01:16:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

toadhall

I've been studying this Famicom schematic just to familiarise myself with the mainboard and to help make future mods easier for myself.

If I were to remove the RF/Power board (after an AV mod let's say), would it be possible to wire in a 5V USB power supply directly into P3? It would have to be from a regulated, dedicated USB power supply of course and I was thinking a good one that provides 1000mA should be enough, like an iPhone charger. I doubt a PC USB port would be enough, though perhaps a Y double connection might help. The Famicom needs at least 850A and PC USB ports tend to provide 500A at best. So a dedicated, proper USB power supply would be the way to go.

What do you guys reckon? Am thinking of doing this as a rainy day project one day for one of my spare Famicoms.

Bonus question: There seems to be a lot of potential power inputs on the mainboard! Am I right in thinking I can provide power via inputs such as the controller ports and even the cartridge port(!)? If so, that would be CRAZZZZYYYYY  :-[

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
I had a copy of Gimmick when I was a kid but my mother threw it out while I was in college. :(

Pikkon

I have ran a snes off 5v just plugged into my pc so yes it should work.

So do you just want to wire up a usb?

Since the famicom has a 7805 you will want to start there,if you wanted to do it real quick solder the postive usb wire to the input and the output of the 7805,and ground is the middle and the power switch will not work as you would have to wire that up as well

toadhall

Quote from: Pikkon on October 10, 2016, 02:37:15 amI have ran a snes off 5v just plugged into my pc so yes it should work.

Since the famicom has a 7805 you will want to start there,if you wanted to do it real quick solder the postive usb wire to the input and the output of the 7805,and ground is the middle and the power switch will not work as you would have to wire that up as well

Wow, a SNES! You didn't have problems with not providing enough current?

If I were to solder to the input and output of the 7805 wouldn't I have to take the regulator out as well? In any case, I was curious if I could bypass the whole RF board and power it up without it.
I had a copy of Gimmick when I was a kid but my mother threw it out while I was in college. :(

Great Hierophant

Most USB wall-warts can provide 1A and the SNES only requires .85A.
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

toadhall

Well yes, but Pikkon said that he plugged it into his PC which don't normally provide 1A through USB.

famifan

well, technically you probably might power up your famicom via the different VCC/GND points.

BUT

you have to consider the PCB traces resistance and overall power consumption. In other words, just think of it as the PCB was designed to be powered via only certain points. Other points could be weaker.

OK, since the famicom doesn't drain too much current, it will most certainly operate with no flaws.

Also, please bear in mind that the analogous part of famicom could be very picky about VCC/GND points and could start to produce extra amount of noise/humming.

P

What about power spikes? Doesn't the 7805 give extra protection aggainst such unwanted things?

Pikkon

You could add a fuse and a nice power cap to give it protection.

toadhall

Quote from: famifan on October 10, 2016, 10:09:20 am
well, technically you probably might power up your famicom via the different VCC/GND points.

BUT

you have to consider the PCB traces resistance and overall power consumption. In other words, just think of it as the PCB was designed to be powered via only certain points. Other points could be weaker.

OK, since the famicom doesn't drain too much current, it will most certainly operate with no flaws.

Also, please bear in mind that the analogous part of famicom could be very picky about VCC/GND points and could start to produce extra amount of noise/humming.

Cool! So you can theoretically do it, it's just not a good idea. I guess it could come in handy when trying to diagnose a power issue or faulty 7805. Maybe I could wire a usb cable to expansion port or something and temporarily power it from there to diagnose a mainboard?

Quote from: P on October 10, 2016, 02:55:37 pm
What about power spikes? Doesn't the 7805 give extra protection aggainst such unwanted things?

Quote from: Pikkon on October 10, 2016, 05:47:32 pm
You could add a fuse and a nice power cap to give it protection.

Plus, make sure to use a good regulated power supply as well. Should be ok.

Arkanix38

Any source of regulated 5V power with enough current capability should be fine to run a Famicom. From the 7805 output/ground pins any regulated 5V supply will be treated identically as long as it can provide enough juice to run whatever you're doing. Some PCs have USB charging ports which can provide more than 500mA and these (with a little circuit protection) should be ideal.

Pikkon

Quote from: toadhall on October 10, 2016, 05:52:48 am
Quote from: Pikkon on October 10, 2016, 02:37:15 am
I have ran a snes off 5v just plugged into my pc so yes it should work.

Wow, a SNES! You didn't have problems with not providing enough current?

If I were to solder to the input and output of the 7805 wouldn't I have to take the regulator out as well? In any case, I was curious if I could bypass the whole RF board and power it up without it.

You can leave the 7805 in,it's not going to hurt anything.

As for the whole rf board the ribbon cable that leads to the motherboard has some 5v points,that should work.

toadhall

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll update when I get some time to experiment.

Arkanix38