Famicom beginner's game set

Started by jano, October 12, 2016, 01:44:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jano

Hi everyone!

I've just bought a Famicom AV to RGB-mod it (tired of crappy pal 50hz!), so I was wondering which games I sould buy now... Not sure text-based games will do it, as I can't read Japanese.

Any suggestion?   :help:
Thanks

Ghegs

That's kind of a big question. What kind of games do you like? There's tons of excellent Famicom games that require no JPN skillz at all, or you can get by with just memorizing which menu option is Start and which is Options.

jano

Thanks for your reply! I don't mind having to translate some menus, so I guess action/platformers and shooters will be the way to go... Japanese exclusives or games that are too expensive on US version.

Basically my question is : "If you have to play only 3 games  that are not RPGs or heavy text, which would you go for?"

L___E___T

October 13, 2016, 02:46:23 am #3 Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 02:55:01 am by L___E___T

It depends on budget - if you have enough for three great games, that may enable you to get an Everdrive instead.

If you want actual Japanese Famicom carts and are interested in exclusives - I would recommend these:

1.  Seirei Densetsu Lickle
 2.  Super Mario Bros 3.
 3.  Akumajou Densetsu
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

jano

Quote from: L___E___T on October 13, 2016, 02:46:23 am

If you want actual Japanese Famicom carts and are interested in exclusives - I would recommend these:

1.  Seirei Densetsu Lickle

That one alone is exploding my budget! Lets say i have ~150usd to spend on games

As for Everdrives, i've got one for Snes, and... I don't know, it just doesn't feel the same

L___E___T

You're right, it doesn't feel the same - but it's the fastest way to play many of the more coveted games on real hardware.

If you want actual carts (and I understand why, I also collect loose) then I would go for these as they're relatively cheap:

1.  Super Mario Bros. 1
 2.  Rockman 2
 3.  Kirby's Adventure

Akumajou Densetsu is great if you can get it, and has that extra sound that I'm sure you've already heard about.

Also I should link to Satoshi's blog, I think it's a great starting point for must plays and must own games:

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

Feels the same to me, but I also have many CIB games in addition to the Everdrive, so I get my cart fix from those I guess. If you don't have any games at all you probably want to have at least a few good carts as well, and especially the boxes and manuals (my favourite). Besides, extra sound games like Akumajou Densetsu won't work properly on the Everdrive.

There should be several similar threads to this one, and also FDS recommendation threads.

jano

Thank you guys
Found a lot on ebay, with SMB1, SMB3, SMB USA, Kirby, and 2 other games i can't identify (one has Mickey and Minnie Mouse on a pink background, the other is a samourai holding some gold medal, with Mt.Fuji background).

I think i'll buy that if the auction doesn't get too high (and add a Kage or Ninja Gaiden to it ;D)

Thanks for the links and advices!

P

Those are great games to have in a Famicom collection.
The samurai game must be Ganbare Goemon Karakuri Douchuu he is holding a koban (old Japanese gold coin in the ryou currency).

jano

So... I've won the auction (15usd  ;D)... Can't wait to get those!

Ganbare Goemon it is, thanks P.

L___E___T

Let us know when it arrives and how you enjoy playing them!  That's a great price for those games, well done!  8)
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

shoggoth80

October 21, 2016, 06:47:15 pm #11 Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:01:45 pm by shoggoth80
If you get into pirate carts, you can get a number of higher end games at a fraction of the cost. Some of the pirate originals and hacks are also a lot of fun.

My 3 personal go to games would be:
Mighty Final Fight. Can be had for a fraction of domestic US prices.
Castlevania Dracula Special: Kid Dracula. Silly fun. Still very much a Castlevania title.
Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti.

There are of course so many others. Parodius, Gradius2, Bubble Bobble Part 2, Ninja Kun....

Sarahconner

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AhlSHNxaMlM

Mitsume Ga Tooru is the most recent game I've 'discovered;' a fave for sure.  I also dig Joust and recommend scoring a 400 in 1 Cart in order to net a lot of simple, 1-2 gen games (like Joust) with one easy cheap purchase.

jano

Hi guys,
So I've finished buying games. Here is the list :

-SMB
-SMB USA
-SMB3
-Rockman 2
-Rockman 5
-Ninja gaiden
-Ninja gaiden 2
-Kirby
-Ganbare Goemon
-Gradius 2
-Unknown Mickey Mouse game
-Lagrange point (thinking of mod it to english as i ve read it is quite easy to do... gotta find someone to program a chip for me)

120 usd + shipping (with an AV famicom and 2 dogbones) - Cant wait to get those!

As a nintendo addict since late 80s i already know some of the games (well  the marios and rockmans), and i don't understand what mystical force stopped me from buying Zelda 1 ;D

If you have any suggestions for Zelda 2-likes games that are not FDS please tell me! Well if they are enjoyable for a non-japanese reader

Cheers!

Great Hierophant

All excellent games to be sure. 
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/