Kira Kira Star Night DX, what's the verdict?

Started by ImATrackMan, October 17, 2016, 11:59:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ImATrackMan

October 17, 2016, 11:59:20 pm Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:35:45 am by ImATrackMan
So, what does everyone think about it? I'm mostly happy with the fact that I don't technically need to make new boards again. (I even bought two copies, one for me and for a friend). The only hardware it seems to have trouble with are later Twin Famicoms and the Sharp C1 TV, other than that, it's pretty much the same game I remember from three years ago but I'm still very happy with owning it. If you want to get a copy, amiami, Amazon, and Play-Asia still has them available. I'll be making a long review video about it soon.

I really would appreciate somebody ripping the ROM so that I can make proper boards for it because I still don't trust those 3v flash chips.

toadhall

I was considering buying it but ultimately balked on paying $50 for a game that may or may not work on my TwinFami.

I love that there are new retail Famicom game releases though. Just wished they had done it properly with 5v chips instead.
I had a copy of Gimmick when I was a kid but my mother threw it out while I was in college. :(

fcgamer

Don't know, I hope I can pick it up this Saturday (still hate wasting a Saturday to go to my old P.O. box though, they should make it more clear on their website about that stuff).
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

Great Hierophant

It is a fun little game.  The music is catchy, the gameplay is perfectly acceptable for a 15 minute time killer.  The jumping is a bit stiff, as in Castlevania, but I believe that was intentional in order not to make the game too easy.  The patterns of the stars reminds me of the bonus stages of Jaws where you have to drop bombs on the jellyfish.  It can certainly stand tall with other NES homebrew games. 

Columbus Circle is getting a little better about their carts.  If 8-bit Music Power could be characterized with a "barely works" label, based on the relative number of systems it will work with, this cart could be characterized with a "mostly works" label. 
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

UglyJoe

It runs on my Famicom!  I actually bought a clone system so that I would be able to play it.  Oh well.  The cart feels less cheap than their last release.  The label even has a subtle foil quality to it that makes the cover art pop.

The moe graphics are really nice.  The dancing animation on the title screen is really impressive for a FC game.  The between-stage art is really nicely done, too.  The only comparisons that come to mind are the title sequence for Idol Hakkenden and the intro/between-stage graphics from Magical Kids Doropie.

Music is good all around, like people have been saying.  The list of composers is really impressive (old staff from Capcom, Hudson, SEGA and more).  Seriously, go look up the composers if you haven't heard of all of them.

The gameplay is fun, but nothing groundbreaking.  It has a bit of a single-screen arcade game feel to it, since that's essentially what it is.  The lack of both a pause feature and a continue feature is annoying, though.  If I have to tend to something, my progress is gone.

Overall, I'm not sure it was worth the asking price, but I don't regret buying it.