Famicom controller ii on nes through enio exp

Started by theoakwoody, November 17, 2016, 11:01:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theoakwoody

Hello all,

Been lurking for years but have never posted so here goesmy first one.

I apologize if this had been addressed but I searched and couldnt find anything directly related to what I'm trying to do. 

I'd like to play around with the microphone on the famicom controller ii but I don't have an original famicom and I understand my AV famicom won't work because of a change in the chipset.  I bought the enio board for my toaster along with a 15 pin to 7 (nes) converter (splitter for 2 plugs).  My theory was that I could take the wiring from a nes controller and marry it to the famicom ii controller.  I read that all the colored wires are the same except for yellow and red which are reversed and obviously there is the blue wire for the microphone which would be extra.  I did my best to clip the wires on each side,  twist them together and then used electrical tape for shielding.  I tested my ghetto patch job and there was no response from the controller in any port much less the expansion port. 

I guess I should have used some kind of connected instead of twisting the wires so I guess that's my next step.  Even if I get that to work though,  I'm not sure where to put the blue wire that connects to the mic.  Would this go in one of the unused pins on the nes male connecter?  I think that the unused pins are for D3 and D4 but the mic has to go to D2 which is pin 6 on the 15 pin exp on the Nes through the Enio.

Sorry for the mess of a post as I know I'm not very technical.  Like I said,  I wanted to play around with the mic on Zelda and other games without having to buy an original famicom that will look like ass through rf on my tv.  Thanks to anyone who can weigh in.

HVC-Man

Get an AV modified Famicom, it's way easier and is very fashionable.

theoakwoody

I have an AV famicom with the NesRgb mod and I love it but unfortunatllet I can't use the mic controller with it.

P

Yeah the AV Famicom is, unlike the NES, apparently missing the circuitry necessary for the mic. But an original Famicom modified for AV will solve all those problems. Either that or a Twin Famicom.

aitsu124

Quote from: P on November 19, 2016, 08:22:57 am
Yeah the AV Famicom is, unlike the NES, apparently missing the circuitry necessary for the mic. But an original Famicom modified for AV will solve all those problems. Either that or a Twin Famicom.

That's unfortunate. I was really hoping there was someway to get a microphone for it. Wasn't there talk of an external microphone a few years back that had been created and was fully functional?

I'd get an AV modified FC and have considered it a few times, but have some problems with it:
- I've heard that sometimes the mod isn't well done and the screen quality doesn't look the best in the end.
- The controllers are very short and though using the EXP port works for a lot of the games, it doesn't work for all of them (e.g. Super Mario USA).
- The price is a bit more than what my AV/New FC cost. I know, basically it'd be getting an upgrade for a small amount of money in the end, but I don't feel like trying to get mine sold right now. Plus, I'd lose out on the opportunity to use NES controllers (I know, there are adapters, but they're somewhat hard to find it seems sometimes, and once again there exists games like SMUSA).

Ideally, a Twin Turbo would probably be best, but of course those go for insane amounts (and, again, I'd lose the ability to use NES controllers for certain games). And my AV/New FC does everything else right.
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

P

Quote from: aitsu124 on November 22, 2016, 06:43:41 am
Quote from: P on November 19, 2016, 08:22:57 am

That's unfortunate. I was really hoping there was someway to get a microphone for it. Wasn't there talk of an external microphone a few years back that had been created and was fully functional?

Nothing that was completed. I heard talk about making a microphone for NES, but nothing was built yet. I'm no technician but I understand that an AV Famicom mic would require much more work than a NES mic anyway due to the missing hardware in the AV one.

Quote from: aitsu124 on November 22, 2016, 06:43:41 am
- I've heard that sometimes the mod isn't well done and the screen quality doesn't look the best in the end.

Yeah I've seen some very poor mods where the colours were all wrong. But if you get a good mod it should be at least as good as the AV Famicom (or even better if you believe Tea4Two's claims).

Quote- The controllers are very short

While I don't like too much cable clutter, the Famicom cables are definitely on the short side. If you don't want to sit too close to the TV you can extend the AV cables and AC Adapter cable and then the cable length is not much of a problem anymore. Plus that way you can sit closer to the Famicom which means easy access to RESET and the cartridge.

Quotethough using the EXP port works for a lot of the games, it doesn't work for all of them (e.g. Super Mario USA).

Yes many such games exists, you can't rely on the expansion controllers. I use the port mostly for games I want to play with an arcade stick (and of course for light guns and such). The built-in controllers aren't really any worse than NES controllers.

Quote- The price is a bit more than what my AV/New FC cost. I know, basically it'd be getting an upgrade for a small amount of money in the end, but I don't feel like trying to get mine sold right now. Plus, I'd lose out on the opportunity to use NES controllers (I know, there are adapters, but they're somewhat hard to find it seems sometimes, and once again there exists games like SMUSA).

Ideally, a Twin Turbo would probably be best, but of course those go for insane amounts (and, again, I'd lose the ability to use NES controllers for certain games). And my AV/New FC does everything else right.

No way, the AV/New Famicom costs much more. I got my current Famicom for $20, it was loose and in very good shape although it had some yellowing. If you pay to get it modded the total price might end up being the same though.
The original Twin goes for something similar to the AV I think? A bit more maybe. You could also get a Twin with a broken belt for cheaper I guess.