Famicom wont power on

Started by TrekkiesUnite118, January 15, 2017, 08:12:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekkiesUnite118

So I have an original Famicom that's AV modded. I bought it this way off of ebay and so far it's been working great. But yesterday I went to turn it on and it wont power on. I tried a different power supply (Model 1 Sega Genesis), and it still wouldn't power on. So I don't think it's the power supply. I don't think it got fried in the typical fashion either by accidentally hooking up a US NES AC adapter because I don't have access to one of those.

I did open it up and found a bulging capacitor on the AV mod board, but after replacing it with another I had laying around that was the same μF rating it still wont power on. I tested with a multimeter and it doesn't look like the fuse has blown or that the power switch isn't working correctly. The 7805 also looks to be working as I'm still getting voltage through it. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

It's also very possible I didn't test the above components properly so if anyone has any tips for how to properly test them I'd appreciate it. The board revision is HVC-CPU-GPM-02.

Pikkon

If your getting 5v on the 7805 then the console is getting power but as for the av mod we would need to see how it's wired.

super_mario

Do you have a watt meter like the Kill A Watt Meter so you can check whether it's really turning on? I usually get around 6 watts while playing games.

TrekkiesUnite118

Figured it out and got it working. Ends up it was the fuse, not sure why it still showed continuity when I originally tested but after opening it up again it was definitely blown. Put in a new one and it started working again. I also found out what caused it. Turns out the PSU for my external HDD uses the same connector and looks almost identical to the one that came with my Famicom. I must have mixed them up as it fits but it's 12V and that probably blew the fuse. Found that out the hard way after I replaced the fuse, plugged it in and it immediately blew again.

FAMICOM_87

very strange ,7805 can handle range from 6.5V to about 24V ! so 12V is not an issue  :fire:

Pikkon

Most likely the hdd psu is center positive/outer negative.