Is this normal?

Started by super_mario, January 18, 2017, 09:59:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

super_mario

I connected an unmodded famicom to my 32 inch LCD TV but I noticed the screen have jailbars like the av modded famicom. Not as much as the av one but still noticeable. Is this because of the tv I'm using?

Please see attach pic.

Arkanix38

The jailbars are primarily due to the data lines being so close to the video output on the PPU, and are agnostic of the signal (whether composite or RF) you use. This is normal. There are ways to minimise the effect of the jailbars via the use of capacitors and shielding etc but your mileage may vary.

The jailbars will be softer on the unmodded Famicom as the RF signal is not as clean and will muddle the colours and sharpness a bit.

Post Merge: January 19, 2017, 02:38:44 am

If you REALLY want no jailbars drop a bunch of money on getting an NESRGB installed or get an AV Famicom.

super_mario

Quote from: Arkanix38 on January 19, 2017, 02:38:06 am
The jailbars are primarily due to the data lines being so close to the video output on the PPU, and are agnostic of the signal (whether composite or RF) you use. This is normal. There are ways to minimise the effect of the jailbars via the use of capacitors and shielding etc but your mileage may vary.

The jailbars will be softer on the unmodded Famicom as the RF signal is not as clean and will muddle the colours and sharpness a bit.

Post Merge: January 19, 2017, 02:38:44 am

If you REALLY want no jailbars drop a bunch of money on getting an NESRGB installed or get an AV Famicom.

is this the same and normal on an old CRT TV too?

famifan

yep, on some TVs the jailbars are more noticeable than on the others.

why? you know, any TV do some sort of signal processing and could filter/blur those thing slightly, so they become less noticeable. Also, you may try to choose different 'color pucture mode' on your TV. if may affect the picture quality too.

good luck!

super_mario

Thanks!

Already tried different picture settings but still the same.