Zoga NES / Famicom clone - no video - FIXED

Started by Finfami, February 04, 2017, 06:00:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Finfami

February 04, 2017, 06:00:30 am Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:40:54 am by Finfami
So I ordered Zoga branded NES toploader clone which also has Famicom slot.

The package was damaged during shipping and it was also wet. After taking it out the package I let it dry for sometime and then tried using it. Turns out that only sound works when using RCA connectors, this console apparently has RF tuner also, problem is that it is most likely for US and I live in Europe, I cannot really get proper picture by using RF but under all that distortion I can see that the console does run games, there are characters, text etc. There is absolutely no video through RCA however.

I have tried to resolder everything on the AV / Power - board. I replaced the transistor, that didn't change anything. I reflowed pin connector pins, still the same.

UPDATE: It seems that my modern TV doesn't even pick up the sound, only my older CRT does of the two. My modern TV does not have RCA inputs so I have to use RCA to SCART converter, that converter has worked without issues with all other consoles.

famifan

water damage? no, unlikely to happen.

modern clones are totally missing QC stage of production.

ok, the rants are off and we're back to the topic.

i suspect the video signal is attenuated by the AV board. Perhaps, the resistors are misplaced or damaged. You could redraw the schematic and check everything.

i suggest the following plans:
A) if you have the access to oscilloscope (5MHz or higher bandwidth) than you could check the video signal attenuation instantly.
B) otherwise, just try other AV board. Disconnect the video ribbon pin from the AV board and connect it to simple DIY AV-mod board.

OMG, missing 7805 makes me scared. What kind of AC adapter does this clone require?

Finfami

The AC adapter is 5V so apparently 7805 is not needed.

GametechUS has video about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM9E7u0c17o

Tried another RCA to SCART adapter but my LCD just cannot get sound out of this thing.

I don't have access to oscilloscope and infact I've never used one.
I have once added RCA ports to French NES and I've done couple AV mods to Famicom so maybe I could build AV board, but the thing is, in all modding cases I've always followed clear instructions.

Something is definetely wrong with this console, the package was pretty damaged.

I of couse raised dispute against seller, took several photos and recorded needed video evidence (opening package and testing).
I have genuine NES and first gen Famicom but it would be nice to get this thing working also.

UPDATE: I noticed that if I switch the RCA cable from AUDIO jack to the RF jack when using the TV in AV mode, I also get audio (with the CRT TV) ?

famifan

Quote from: Finfami on February 04, 2017, 11:24:09 am
I have once added RCA ports to French NES and I've done couple AV mods to Famicom so maybe I could build AV board, but the thing is, in all modding cases I've always followed clear instructions.

just AV-mod it and see how it works. I think there's a lot of clear instructions for famicom.

to ease i made this beautiful pic (pink V is for video, green GND is ground, red 5v is for 5V, yellow S is for sound)

Post Merge: February 04, 2017, 11:45:47 am

Something is definetely wrong with this console, the package was pretty damaged.

i agree. i believe this is improperly assembled console. not just damaged in transit.

Finfami

Quote from: famifan on February 04, 2017, 11:42:48 am
just AV-mod it and see how it works. I think there's a lot of clear instructions for famicom.

to ease i made this beautiful pic (pink V is for video, green GND is ground, red 5v is for 5V, yellow S is for sound)

Thank you very much, you are probably correct!

I performed the mod by using this schematic:

http://assemblergames.com/l/attachments/kyuusaku_zps6a57f5ab-gif.10058/

I got picture. I built the mod without disconnecting anything from the board and the mod is pretty horrible looking, I probably can't even assemble the console nicely if at all so for now this was only good for testing. I didn't want to modify original soldering in case this av mod attempt wouldn't work so it would be easy to remove.

First I tried to solder the video cable to the actual connector on the board but I got no video that way, is this because there is still the old solution on the board? Then I took unused RCA connector and soldered to that and I got video.

UPDATE: Now I redid the mod and bypassed most of the AV board, console seems to work and I fully assembled it. When doing the mod second time I tried to use the old transistor and use the board as much as possible to make the mod as clean as possible but I got no picture by doing so. Using the new transistor and bypassing most of the board worked fine.

I don't know if the picture is bit darker than on my NES and Famicom or is it because I probably messed with the TV settings while trying to get picture, haven't done comparison yet. After turning up the brightness it looks good.

FAMICOM_87

: I noticed that if I switch the RCA cable from AUDIO jack to the RF jack when using the TV in AV mode, I also get audio (with the CRT TV) ?

there is no RF on this board, the white one is just duplicated audio :P so you have Video, Audio, Audio (not stereo)  ;D new famiclone rubbish do not use RF any more there are too many parts inside and now days no one use it anymore  :)