famicom hong kong version/ help

Started by toctorok, May 25, 2017, 02:45:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

toctorok

Hello famicom fans.

Recently, I came across a famicom hong kong version.
Stupid as I was I plugged it into the electrical outlet and started playing. Note that I live in Norway and we use 230 V / 50 Hz.
So yeah I fried some fuses. So I bought some new fuses on ebay.
(250V 1.5A 2.7x8mm Fast Acting Axial Leaded Pico Fuses) and (L7805 LM7805 7805 Voltage Regulator +5V 1.5A)
So I've been soldering the new parts and I bought a Transformator 230-110 V 300 W and a power adapter original famicom HVC-002.
So I plugged in everything and started to play and everything worked as it should for 5 minutes and then the famicom turns itself off. The same thing happens every time I play.
So now to my question; Why does this happen?
Is it because of the transformator or the power adapter? Or anything else? Note that the hk power adapter is a little different to the original famicom HVC-002 see pics.
Please help me thanks.

Flying_Phoenix

You don't need any step-down or step-up transformer. The HK Famicom used with its official "HKG" adapter works fine in all 230V countries like UK. This I'm sure you know.

I don't think you should use a JPN adapter + step-down transformer with the HK Famicom.

P

Why not? The HK Famicom is also 10 V, isn't it? But the power adapter itself may be old and unreliable. I'd use a new adapter with the correct specs.

toctorok

Thanks for the response and help.
Yeah the strange part is that I fried the system when I plugged it in. But it took like one hour before the system shut down.
It can be that the HKG adapter was broken or something. It became very hot and I checked the day after with a multimeter and it give out 0.35 so I guess the adapter is dead.
Or that the consol itself is old and haven't been played for a while.

P

There's a voltage regulator that makes sure the Famicom always gets 5 V. But if you use a 100 V AC adapter in a 230 V wall outlet you exceed the tollerance of the voltage regulator and eventually it will burn out or the fuse blows if there is one (older Famicoms has no fuse).
But the HKG adapter on the picture looks like it's rated for 200 V input, maybe the extra 30 V in Norweigan wall outlets was too much.

Besides HVC-002 bieng old, the console might have problems too, with old capacitors and such. If you are good at soldering you could try replacing all electrolytic capacitors with fresh quality ones.

Flying_Phoenix

Quote from: P on May 30, 2017, 03:41:48 am
Why not? The HK Famicom is also 10 V, isn't it? But the power adapter itself may be old and unreliable. I'd use a new adapter with the correct specs.

I'm no electrical expert, but I wouldn't plug a Japanese power block into a UK/HK console, even though there's a step-down adapter between the power block and the wall socket.

I just don't know, but maybe the HK Famicom is 'fragile' and will easily fry when not using its specific power block?

P

I don't think it can fry unless you exceed the tolerance of the voltage regulator. If all specs are correct, and the adapter is working like it should, it should work I think, no matter if the adapter was especially made for the console or not. But who knows if there are other factors to take into the calculation.