Highest quality NES to Famicom adapter?

Started by DJ, May 27, 2017, 02:26:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

As it stands, there's a bunch of great options for playing Famicom games on the NES.  I use Nintendo's official converter, plus one small mod to it, stuck inside a custom cut cart with a Game Genie handle for easy removal.  Point is, there's lots of good options.

The other way around, an adapter to play NES games on a Famicom? I've been striking out a lot trying to find something, anything, that's even the slightest bit reliable.

I keep seeing recommendations for this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shielded-72-to-60-Pin-Adapter-Converter-Play-NES-Nintendo-Games-on-your-Famicom-/371655846756?hash=item56886a2b64:g:04sAAOSwa-dWk88o  The recommendations include some caveats about some small mods to make it fully compatible with, say, Castlevania 3.

I'm here to say this one doesn't go the distance.  I've gone through two of these things at this point.  They start out working great, and after the mods work even better.  However, after a few months both of them get buggier and buggier.  I'm not sure if it's corrosion or if the pins get bent out of shape too easily, but after some time and some use, games don't start up reliably (or are filled with that classic "read error" garbage front loading NESs are so famous for).  I know it isn't the Famicom, since Famicom games all still load perfectly.  Numerous attempts to clean both ends of the adapter have unreliable results.  I'm forced to conclude this particular adapter isn't built to very good tolerances or with longevity in mind, so rather than buy yet ANOTHER one of these (and apply yet another round of mods to it when it arrives), I decided to ask the pros.

Can anyone suggest the best quality adapter on the market today?  I'm willing to spend extra if it's pricier than the average.  My number one concern is durability.  I'd love to find one as long-lasting as NES carts themselves.

L___E___T

The converters Krikzz.com makes look pretty good - have you looked at those?  I didn't read your message yet.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

DJ

Not sure how to take that last sentence, but I appreciate the suggestion.  Unfortunately, it is the wrong sort of adapter.  I'm looking for an adapter to play NES games on my Famicom, and so far I have had trouble finding one that doesn't start having issues after a few months of use.  When you get the opportunity, read my above post for some more details.