NEW flash famicom cartage

Started by FAMICOM_87, June 10, 2017, 04:34:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

satoshi_matrix

This is my new favorite image.

It puts to shame Sonic 3 plugged into Sonic & Knuckles plugged into Game Genie plugged into an X-Band plugged into a 32X.

P

Haha yeah that oversized cart is great. ;D It seems its' an old project he made that even supports MMC5.

Anyway thumbs up for 60 pin!
I'm not sure it has any advantages over the Everdrive though. It has bigger PRG RAM and the same size of CHR RAM but it's apparently missing external SRAM needed for MMC5.

satoshi_matrix

I would buy another EverDrive if there was another revision that supported the 1MB PRG and 1MB CHR done in a select few games and rom hacks.

xIceMan

I'd still love that feature as well. I have no idea why Krikzz doesn't just increase the size..

toadhall

I had a copy of Gimmick when I was a kid but my mother threw it out while I was in college. :(

toadhall

Yeah I was aware of that. Just wondering if anyone here actually bought one. Would be nice to hear impressions and comparisons to the Powerpak and Everdrive.
I had a copy of Gimmick when I was a kid but my mother threw it out while I was in college. :(

satoshi_matrix

I don't want to come across as mean, but what's the point of buying one of these if you already own an N8 and a Powerpak?

This doesn't work with MMC5 and doesn't increase the total PRG/CHR cap to 1MB or beyond, the main failings of the N8 and Powerpak.

As it stands, it seems like it's just an N8 knock off without any extras.

P

Exactly, it doesn't seem to bring much new features, and still comes with some disadvantages over the reigning flashcarts.
Unless you really want to that extra pirate mapper or homebrew that use more PRG ROM than 0.5 MB and also don't mind the disadvantages it brings, there seems to be not much point to it.

nesfreak

He did one thing I haven't seen in the other flashcarts tho, proper timing for the MMC3 counter witch fixes some flicker in games.

He starts talking about it here: https://youtu.be/NnNOtOE3YIQ?t=302

P

Nice, accurate mapper implementations is always a good thing. I don't remember any flickering in MMC3 games on my Everdrive but I haven't really compared them with my real carts either.

Great Hierophant

The EverDrive and PowerPak's MMC3 scanline counter emulation has excellent timing with the latest mappers, so that isn't an advantage. 
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

nesfreak

I need to update my mappers and go back to reading forums daily  ;D

FAMICOM_87

this  :redcart: have  advantage over some of others on the market
author says :

5. Is it safe for my console?
Yes! The cartridge was made out of 1 mm thickness PCB, so it wont expand the pins on your connector. Well fitted shell holds the cart firmly in the connector. I included voltage translating buffers for converting 5 V logic signals (from cartridge connector) to 3.3 V logic for low-voltage chips (memories, CPLD). It is protecting your console and the cartridge itself and is not driving any additinal current, like for example on cheap ali-express carts, which use 3.3 V memories connected to 5 V using zener diode (or even worse - without it) and driven with 5 V logicw ithout any series resistors limiting clamp diodes current

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15757