Question about the Hudson 62-3 Joystick

Started by satoshi_matrix, September 27, 2017, 06:52:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

satoshi_matrix

Does anyone here own a  Hudson HC 62-3 Joystick? I'm considering buying one of these iconic joysticks, but I have a question.

What is the button atop the stick? Is that a second B button? I'd like to know what it is. Thanks!

helicomatic

It's actually an A button.

There's a compatibility list on the side of the box for mine that's dated 5/31/1985. It's early enough that the only compatible Hudson game listed is Star Force, so I'm curious what game they had in mind when choosing to make the top button 'A'.

satoshi_matrix

Hmmm..I think it would generally be far more useful if the top button were mapped to B instead, or else add a switch for the button. I'll have to get one and take it apart.

What are your impressions of the thing? I assume it's not using microswitches or anything. Does it auto center properly and all that? I have another stick called the Spiral Family King Joystick that I'm not very impressed with due to very low build quality.

helicomatic

It's been a while since I took it apart, but if I remember right it's a rubber dome style joystick sort of like the Ascii Turbo Jr./NES Advantage. It has somewhat less travel though, so you only have to move the joystick a little bit and the spring centers it easily, even though the spring seems lighter.

I picked it up when I first got a Famicom after reading about the Hudson Caravan events, and I think it's the best controller for trying to 'manual turbo fire' your way through those games.

L___E___T

I would say grab one - it's a great little stick when you set the right level of expectation.  I managed to find a signed one even, which I would love to learn more about.  It was a surprise!
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。