How did I fry my Famicom?

Started by jueschnei, August 10, 2017, 04:28:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jueschnei

So I recently bought an original HVC-001  with CPU-07 and AV-modded it. I built a working circuit on a prototyping board. It worked. I went to sleep and when I tried it later, the Fami only produced a still grey image with no sound. Please note that I didn't touch the circuit overnight. I also receive a still grey image over RF.

You now would think that the cart has connection issues, but no. The video my Fami produces when no cart can be detected is black and not grey. I already tested this out while the Famicom still worked.

The next thing that could damage the Fami would be a short-circuit due to bad soldering. The soldering isn't perfect, but it's far away to somehow cause a short-circuit.

I also double and triple checked my circuit and it didn't "magically change" overnight.

Another cause would be electrostatic discharge, but I ground myself before working with electronics. I also never managed to kill a device with electrostatic discharge.

Because the CPU (and only the CPU) gets insanely hot, I think I somehow fried the CPU. But how? I already had a working av amplifier circuit. I even played a few hours on it and it didn't fail.

Has anybody an explanation how I fried the CPU?

famiac

My guess would be a bridged connection or bad luck with static/loose metal. If i'm not careful sometimes a resistor leg gets stuck to the pcb

Maybe someone here can sell you a spare cpu

jueschnei

Thank you, but I am already getting a new one from a local seller.
No bridged connections. My soldering isn't perfect, but it's not bad either. Also no static discharge, because I discharge myself before working on electronics.

At least I can verify that the amplifier works. :)