Scammed by a seemingly respected member (issue seemingly resolved)

Started by fcgamer, August 20, 2017, 09:38:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

I don't like to start threads like these, and normally I wouldn't; however, I am feeling quite frustrated at the moment, and to make matters worse, it appears this wasn't the first rodeo, so to speak, when it comes to the other party scamming. I don't want to see others get scammed like I did, especially when I was trying to help the dude out, out of the kindness of my heart.

To take a step backwards, do you remember when satoshi_matrix started a thread about a controller he had picked up, the Space Battle Stick (thread started June 10th):

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=13637.0

Well, I remembered having seen something somewhat like that previously, did some looking into it, and then found a guy local to me that had two other sticks from the same company, boxed, new old stock. Due to the funny text, I decided I wanted one for myself, and I sent satoshi_matrix a PM asking if he wanted me to pick one up for him, at actual cost + actual shipping cost, and he was interested.  This happened around July 2nd.

So I bought the sticks from the semi-local guy, waited for him to send them to me, and satoshi_matrix and I had chatted back and forth about the sticks, both curious and eagerly awaiting their arrival. They finally arrived a week or so later. I then asked satoshi_matrix for his mailing address, told him he could reimburse me after I shipped, since then I'd have the actual shipping cost as well.  No biggie, right, satoshi_matrix is afterall a well-respected member here, has a Youtube channel, is FW Staff...

Well, it was a rookie mistake for sure, on my part, hell, I mean it's like being robbed by your own family or something, in such a small community as FW.  Maybe I need to run background checks before selling / trading / helping out others, even my trusted friends on here.  I mean, satoshi_matrix, FW Staff, not a fly-by-night member by any means.

So on July 17th, he gave me his address.  He had also requested more pics, I sent them, and things seemed fine. Due to being busy at work and a typhoon headed my way, I didn't respond for a few days, and he asked me on the 29th of July for any updates. I then told him I'd package things up and send it out the next week, to which he replied great, and to keep him informed.   This was on July 30th.

August 4th I sent everything out, with tracking code, and gave him the paypal address and exact total it cost, to reimburse.  Since then, I have not received any sort of reimbursement for the joystick, and despite sending multiple messages to satoshi_matrix, I have heard nothing in return.  Last time satoshi_matrix logged on was August 9th.

I like to think the best of everyone, and who knows, maybe some sort of family emergency came up, or something like that (well the fact that he has been posting a ton on his twitter feed somewhat negates that possibility), but I did more digging and here is what I found:

fingolphin (at Nintendo Age) had the following experience:

QuoteFirst of all, he required the entire amount up front, and it wasn't cheap (yes, it was stupid of me). I reluctantly paid it, again, thinking that this person wouldn't want to do anything to damage his online reputation, right? He lives in Canada, so there are fees when using PayPal to pay. He assured me not to worry, because PayPal has protections for buyers. He couldn't possibly rip me off. Then he talked me into using the "gift" option on PayPal, to get rid of the fees. Riiiiiiiiight. What I didn't realize at the time was that if you pay using the "gift" option, those PayPal protections are GONE.

First he said it would be done in May. Then it was June. Then August. Then September. Then October. After TEN MONTHS I have received nothing; not even the slightest indication that he has done anything at all. When he was responsive, he always had some lame excuse. Some chip burned out. He was at some remote cabin in the far north with no internet access (although YouTube videos and comments continued to appear), he's at Thanksgiving, he's doing homework, he's on a desert island, whatever. He has repeatedly promised various things, and not a single one of these has materialized in any way whatsoever. As of now he is completely unresponsive, and I have demanded my money back, as it is clear I am never going to receive what I paid for. He has also had the nerve to continue to request money for things like a "bigger fan" to install. He is a complete liar and a thief, and he has robbed me, pure and simple.  Do not be fooled or taken in by this con artist. I hope that this post will spare someone else in our hobby from being robbed by this individual in the same way.

Purkeynator from Racketboy / Famicom World said:

QuoteDon't do business with Satoshi Matrix. He ripped me off $42 in November and still refuses to this day to make good on it. Stay away....

as well as

Quote-1 Satoshi_Matrix. I bought him an arcade stick and a supaboy and couple other things to ship to Canada to save him on shipping. He was supposed to pay me back shipping charges after I shipped them and knew what the total would be. Well it came to $42 and he has not paid me back and I shipped his package in November. After multiple contacts he refuses to settle up with me. I would stay away after this experience.

^^^ (Doesn't that sound familiar...)

Daywalker2k2 at Sega Age said:

QuotePlease do not buy from this guy..This guy ripped me off.. Promised me a bead sprite project paid him and nothing..it has been like over a year and nothing!!! Avoid this guy at all costs guys!! He is in the Hall of shame at nintendo age for a reason!!

And if you look in satoshi_matrix's feedback here, even Manuel had problems with the guy...his story (too long for me to quote) starts out similar to mine, helping the guy out due to being kind, but then after stringing him along, but Manuel did not ship the games since he didn't receive payment...after a year and 7 months, the guy finally paid Manuel.

I will now use navy to state my thoughts on the matter.

To begin, the total cost of said item + shipping was just under $30.  That's right, I was scammed for less than $30.  If satoshi_matrix couldn't afford the joystick, he could have let me know, before I had sent it. If he changed his mind and decided he didn't want the joystick, again, he could have told me beforehand and I could have kept it or sold it to someone else, either for profit or at cost.

I am always trying to help members out - sometimes it is profit-based, other times just for the sake of helping out other like-minded and passionate collectors, some of whom on here I would even consider to be friends.  Famicom World is a small enough community, I feel that a handshake is worth something, why ruin your name over a couple of bucks?  If the guy was literally living out of a cardboard box and eating instant noodles to survive, maybe I would have even just gifted him the stick. I recently just sent to boxes of odds and ends from around the apartment to help out another member here, one whom I consider a great friend. It's $30, sheesh, and while I underquoted the shipping estimate by about $3, if that was his concern, he could have told me, we could have split the difference, or figured something out.  Loosing $3 or loosing $25?  The choice is clear what I would prefer.

The thing I find most concerning though is the fact that this sort of thing has been going on for years. Some of the posts quoted above are from five or six years ago. The guy is also banned from Nintendo Age and Sega Age, etc. But here he is, a Famicom World Staff Member.  I don't care if he just wrote an article or two and then received that ranking, I expect much, much more honesty from a site's staff.  The fact that this guy has allegedly scammed so many people over a wide range of years is bad enough,
but it is even worse that somehow he still has a good reputation and is still seen as a respected member.  I cannot comment on what happened in the other situations listed above, but I think those reflections do add credence to my story listed above, from which mods can check my PMs if they like.

I post the situation here, as opposed to in the feedback section, as I feel that as a FW Staff member, he should be removed from said post and flung out the door.  I also just want to let others know about his tactics, since he appears to be so well-respected.  

What really upsets me the most is that I voluntarily helped the guy out, just for the sake of being nice. I was even going to scan him a magazine add I have which shows the joystick he initially posted pictures of, along with Hacker International's Disk Hacker, but I'm not going to share it with him now.

Good night everyone, I'm going to bed.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

80sFREAK

I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

P

Sounds more like he is bad with handling money, and comes with excuses when his economy is poor, rather than a real con artist though.

If he isn't a con artist, he might come back here and apologize.

fcgamer

Quote from: P on August 20, 2017, 10:18:49 am
Sounds more like he is bad with handling money, and comes with excuses when his economy is poor, rather than a real con artist though.

If he isn't a con artist, he might come back here and apologize.

Well I'd like to believe this too, especially since he is a respected member here, but that is what stings so badly about the whole affair. Less than $30, that's not something I'm going to get too worked up over that loss, but seeing a constant pattern,  paired with just silence on his part, it just makes things worth highlighting, imo. Especially from a fw staff member

Yelir

I believe one of my first transactions on FamicomWorld was with him, and if memory serves it was a trade.

You can check out his feedback thread for more of the same: http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=5744.0

I did the initial deal, and like you found out after my end was sent that he seems to be quite sketchy or lousy at finishing up deals. He gave me the run-around with excuses to buy time, just like I read from others once I did some searching.

I don't doubt his contribution to the community, and still have some respect for him given our common collecting goals, but please dude if you're going to be in any marketplace, due your part and man up and keep your end of the deal!

That is all I can really say.

senseiman

That does suck, sorry to hear about it. 

fcgamer

I just received an apology from satoshi_matrix today, and he also said that he had sent me the money owed via paypal (I cannot check to confirm at the moment, since it is my mother's account, and she is on vacation until next week).

Satoshi_Matrix told me that he never receives PM's into his inbox, thus why he didn't see my PMs earlier. Who knows what the story is, as long as I was reimbursed, then that is good enough for me.

To be fair to Satoshi_Matrix, I'd also like to extend an apology to you, if you feel I had jumped to conclusions, too fast.   

NintendoKing

I'm glad it all worked out, and I don't think you jumped to early given the evidence you saw plus the fact it was a month and a half later. I would have been worried and uncomfortable as well.

fcgamer

Just confirmed the payment did arrive, mods can feel free to lock this thread or remove it or whatever they feel is appropriate, as I don't want to be unfair to anyone.

MaxXimus

The mods have taken steps to help prevent this in the future. Normally we don't delete or lock threads though. Let's just let this thread slip in to the past. If Ugly disagrees, we can always move this thread to a secure location hidden away from the general public(it's a very top secret and cool thing. I have no proof. You'll just have to trust me lol)