Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 22, 2017, 10:17:40 PM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Family Computer
| |-+  Famicom / Disk System (Moderators: manuel, MaxXimus, The Uninvited Gremlin, L___E___T)
| | |-+  What to do with bad FDS Disks?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What to do with bad FDS Disks?  (Read 180 times)
TPR
Famiclone

« on: February 06, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »

I've got a handful of disks that are throwing errors (error 22, etc) are these just trash or can anything at all be done with them?
P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:09:30 AM »

If the disks just have corrupt data, they could be used for rewriting. So I'd save them or sell them to someone that can rewrite.

milkmanv1
Famicom

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 12:31:46 AM »

Agreed. If you've went through and tested them and are sure the disks themselves have corrupted data you could look for someone to re-write them. Which from what I've seen from others experiences, tends to be hit or miss. Depends a lot on calibration of their drive vs yours vs factory specs.

You could always try and re-write the games yourself. I'm gearing up to do that same thing with an FDS stick and buidling my own cable. I really want to restore the CIB copy of Arumana No Kiseki that I have that some dolt overwrote with a crummy poker game
P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 06:40:36 AM »

Yeah so for that reason it might be good to mark the disk as a home-rewritten disk somehow.

fredJ
Sharp C1
Sweden Sweden

Let's dance

« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:33:53 PM »

You can peel of the label and resuse it if you have some other game that has been rewritten.

You could also try cleaning them. Sometimes err 22 disks are dirty, although usually they are really broken.

Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: