Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 12:30:10 PM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Family Computer
| |-+  Famicom / Disk System (Moderators: manuel, MaxXimus, The Uninvited Gremlin, L___E___T)
| | |-+  List of Game Genie codes
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print
Author Topic: List of Game Genie codes  (Read 26811 times)
satoshi_matrix
FW Staff
FamicomBox

« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »

I've decided to play through Earth Bound on the cart, but damnit there seems to be random encounters TOO often!

Which Earthbound are you talking about?  SNES?  FC?  Translated FC?

Mother 1/Earth Bound (Zero)

please and thanks.
UglyJoe
Administrator
FamicomBox
United States United States

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »

Okay, I made these using a "Mother (J).nes" rom, so I hope that's the one you're playing.  Couldn't find a one-code way of doing this.  Note that these codes seem to cause some glitches in certain text boxes (like the Game Over text) and I have no idea why.

The game seems to generate a pseudo-random number after every step you take (but also at other times, it seems) and then checks to see if that number is less than some other number, which I call the "encounter rate" for lack of a better name.  There is a small table of encounter rate values and I'm assuming the value used depends on the area you are in, but I didn't look into that part of the code too much.

These codes will hard-code the encounter rate to a fixed value.

Use both of these codes, which make the comparison use a hard-coded value rather than the lookup table:
OGVPYSSS
XTVOPISO

And then one of these codes.  A lower number means less random encounters.  (00) means no random encounters, although if that's what you wanted then I could probably do that with less than three codes.  As a frame of reference, the area just outside of Ness's (Ninten's?) house is using (13), and it looks like the toughest areas would be using (32).

GAVOAINO (12)
LAVOAINO (11)
ZAVOAINO (10)
PAVOAINO (09)
AAVOAINO (08)
YAVOAINP (07)
TAVOAINP (06)
IAVOAINP (05)
GAVOAINP (04)
LAVOAINP (03)
ZAVOAINP (02)
PAVOAINP (01)
AAVOAINP (00)
satoshi_matrix
FW Staff
FamicomBox

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2010, 02:51:05 AM »

Thanks UglyJoe. So that I understand what you're saying, In order to completely remove random encounters, I need to put in three codes:

OGVPYSSS
XTVOPISO
AAVOAINP

And the difference between say

AAVOAINP (00)

PAVOAINP (01)

is that with the first code will never produce random encounters while the second code will almost never produce random encounters?

You said you could probably produce a code that turns off enemy encounters completely in less than three codes? Please see about that. This is exactly what I'm after, as long it doesn't affect scripted encounters (such as the lamp battle at the very start of the game) or encounters you seek out (such as the doll battle also at the start of the game).
UglyJoe
Administrator
FamicomBox

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2010, 01:27:48 AM »

No random encounters would be EZVOAINP.
satoshi_matrix
FW Staff
FamicomBox

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2010, 02:34:34 AM »

thank you good sir.
jpx72
Sharp C1
Slovakia Slovakia

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2011, 09:14:46 AM »

I would like to ask about inserting the GG codes into ROMs:
SMB has this invincibility code: ZZZSSO
This code should alter the value on adress 0xD92D to value 2A
but the ROM size is only 0xA00F (including the 16byte header).
So how do I alter the adress which is out of the file size? Thanks!
(By the way I need this also for code VZTLTN altering 0xB766 to AE)

UglyJoe
Administrator
FamicomBox

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2011, 02:41:01 PM »

Because SMB1 doesn't do any bankswapping, you can do this:

Code:
0xD92D + 0x10   ; offset iNES header
0xD93D - 0x8000 ; offset start of NES PRG-ROM space
0x593D          ; address of byte you want to change
jpx72
Sharp C1
Slovakia Slovakia

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »

Great! It works (obviously)!
So add the lenght of the header and substract the lenght of the PRG part... Hopefully one day i will understand why Cheesy
Thanks a million UglyJoe!

gorgyrip
Famicom

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2011, 08:18:16 AM »

UglyJoe can you please, make a code for loopy smb2j so you 7 or 8 stars at title screen? thanx.
UglyJoe
Administrator
FamicomBox

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2011, 02:55:34 AM »

This one is a bit weird.  There are three places in the game's code that check the "how many stars should they have" byte (which is stored as the first byte in the SRAM at 0x6000).

VXEGZGAV - The "functional" code.  This one will give you 24 stars, but you don't see them on the title screen.  If you hold down A when you press start, though, you'll be in World A.

VZUYXZAV - The "cosmetic" code.  This one will light up the title screen with 24 stars, but as far as I can tell it's just for looks.

VXXKYIAV - The "mystery" code.  This modifies part of the game code that looks at the "stars" byte, but I have no idea what it does.

You can use them in any combination that you want, as they should work independent of each other (except maybe the third one, since I don't know what it actually does...).  I figured 24 stars was better than 7 or 8, but if you specifically need 7 or 8 stars there, I can come up with codes for those, as well.
jpx72
Sharp C1
Slovakia Slovakia

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2011, 04:42:26 AM »

May I jump in with something different?
I have a question from the other end: There are two versions of hacked FDS version of All night nippon Super mario bros rom to work on cartridge:
All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. (J).nes
All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. (J) [a1].nes
The ONLY difference is at h9B6F where the first one has hEF and the second [alternative] has h6F. What does this difference do? It's definatelly nothing obvious because I can't tell from playing those two versions for some time. Maybe it's just some mistake that occured during dumping the pirate rom, and maybe it doesn't affect gameplay at all. Can this be discovered by any mean? Thanks!

UglyJoe
Administrator
FamicomBox

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2011, 01:14:36 AM »

When you're looking for small changes like this based only on a single address, the first thing to do would be to determine if it's program rom or character rom.  A quick glance at the rom in a tile editor shows that the address 0x9b6f is part of the CHR-ROM, so it's just a graphical change. 

The difference is a single pixel in part of the stone floor graphics, as shown below.  I've marked the different pixel with a blue pixel so it'll stand out better.  You can see after I stop marking it that it is indeed a different color between versions.

And here they are side by side, notice the bottom-left pixel

jpx72
Sharp C1
Slovakia Slovakia

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2011, 04:56:32 AM »

Wow you really ARE a genius Joe! Thanks! I would have never found out what's the difference, and it would bother me for a VERY long time! I would say that the A1 stone texture version looks a little better than the first one, but it's such a small diference that I actually think it's only a mistake. And a mistake that got an [a1] tag and it's spread over the internet.

Also great job on the stars-code for loopy's SMB2j! Always appreciate a new code for my repro! Cheesy

gorgyrip
Famicom

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2011, 05:13:39 AM »

UglyJoe, thanx for the codes. i tested them on a real nes.
VXEGZGAV - The "functional" code.  It works, but the game freezes sometimes. for exemple when i was at the end of world A-1, or when i paused the game in A-1 to go for a smoke. It's random. i don't know if it's a bad connection between the nes-game genie-game, or maybe the rom, or even the code.

VZUYXZAV - The "cosmetic" code. - This code didn't worked.

if you please, can me make a code to have 7 stars. why 7? because i want to make another cart whit the code patched in the rom. and that way you can acces world A-1 only when you finish the game one time.  it's not important if the star are visible or not at the title screen.

UglyJoe
Administrator
FamicomBox

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2011, 11:30:57 AM »

if you please, can me make a code to have 7 stars. why 7? because i want to make another cart whit the code patched in the rom. and that way you can acces world A-1 only when you finish the game one time.  it's not important if the star are visible or not at the title screen.

Would have been helpful to know this at the beginning!  So you don't really want 7 stars, you want to be able to get to World A after beating the game only once.  Those are two different things.  I can make a code for that.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: