List of Game Genie codes

Started by JC, September 19, 2007, 09:20:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

August 27, 2016, 09:35:36 am #165 Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:42:16 pm by UglyJoe
ATVEYPXZ - Rockman 3, no music (SFX only)
ATVEYPXZ - Rockman 4, no music (SFX only) (Yay, code re-use!)
ATVEYPXZ - Rockman 5, no music (SFX only) (Haha, this is getting ridiculous)
ATVETPXZ - Rockman 6, no music (SFX only) (Aw, combo breaker!)

satoshi_matrix

Excellent I try these all out shortly.

I don't know if this is outside your wheelhouse, but could the ssme effect (no music, SFX only) be done for the GameBoy Megaman II? I've got a run planned for that if a GG code could be done to remove the music but keep the sound effects.

UglyJoe

I tried, but I can't quite get it.  When are you doing your run?  I may be able to try again later.

satoshi_matrix

I had hoped to be doing it later on this month. Megaman II GB is an okay game but the stock audio is pretty terrible. There's an amazing VRC6 arrange that I want to put a run to. Please see if youc an do this!

satoshi_matrix

UglyJoe, can you see if you can whip up a GameGenie code for Super Mario World that mutes the sound effects but retains the BGM? Thanks.

UglyJoe

September 11, 2016, 05:44:19 pm #170 Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:03:13 pm by UglyJoe
I'm not really familiar with the SNES hardware architecture, sorry.

satoshi_matrix

Hm that's unfortunate, but understandable. Do you know anyone who might be able to help, perhaps another forum?

UglyJoe

There are tools for modifying the sounds in SMW.  If I were going to do it, I would probably try using one of those to remove the sound effects or replace them all with a silent sound effect.

jpx72

UglyJoe may I ask you for help making a working IPS patch for japanes Gimmick with unlimited lives?
It's been a while and I don't remember how it's done, I found a code
SUTTTS
but when I "insert" the code into the rom with software "Game Genie Guy by Kyle", the output rom has glitches (on the START screen you can see a small black glitch flying over, and one music chanel is out of sync after a while).
I don't even know if the code is correct but it's working in Nestopia, at least in first level, I found a forum where somebody said you must not die in level 2 or the game freezes.
Maybe a 99 lives code would be better (safer and glitchless) than an unlimited one.
Thanks!

UglyJoe

September 14, 2016, 01:21:28 pm #174 Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:19:37 pm by UglyJoe
I can tell by the code's length that it's not doing a comparison check, so it's likely to cause bugs in a game as large as Gimmick.  I'll take a look at it tonight if I get a chance.

Edit:

SXVTTSVK - GImmick! Infinite lives

The SUTTTS code targets the same address as SXVTTSVK, but since it doesn't do a comparison check it ends up modifying 32 bytes instead of 1 byte!

It sounds like you know how to make IPS patches, so I'll leave that to you.

jpx72

Thanks Joe, you're the boss of Game Genie!
I saw the adresses in FCEUX's "Possible Affected ROM File Addresses" and now I understand that there is something wrong.  With your new code there is only one adress.
A simple hexedit can do the trick now :)

satoshi_matrix

Also take a look through the history of this thread. I think you're getting him to do the same codes he did for me a while back!

jpx72

satoshi_matrix

I'm still looking to see if it's possible to mute the BGM in Megaman 2 (GB) and retain the sound effects. I asked about this on nesdev and got what may be a promising lead:

"I don't know GB assembly enough to look at the ROM, but there's a possibility this could work:
get the GBS rip
get the music play routine, disassemble it to find out if it's a code stub added by the ripper (for the init it probably is, so get the real address from this code)
replace all the calls to that address with NOPs

If removing play doesn't work, try the same thing with the init address instead.

But if that same address initializes/plays sound effects too, or is otherwise still needed, then it's going to be significantly more complicated."

So with that in mind,

The Megaman 2 GBS file can be found here:
https://ocremix.org/chip/342

and the original rom for disassembly purposes can be found through a simple google search. Not gonna direct link to it in this case.

Hopefully there is someone out there with the knowledge to do what was suggested with these files.

UglyJoe

That's essentially what I tried to do.  It does appear that the same routine is used for both music and sound effects, so I couldn't just disable the routine (it mutes the entire game).  I tried to separate the music calls and the sound effects calls, but I couldn't get it to work properly.  I did get it to only play SFX and not music, but the SFX were messed up.  It seemed to me like the SFX won't work properly at all unless there is music playing, but I didn't take the time to disassemble the audio routine.  (I'm not familiar enough with the gameboy's architecture to do it, and even if I were it would be very time-consuming).