Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

No random encounters would be EZVOAINP.

satoshi_matrix

jpx72

I would like to ask about inserting the GG codes into ROMs:
SMB has this invincibility code: ZZZSSO
This code should alter the value on adress 0xD92D to value 2A
but the ROM size is only 0xA00F (including the 16byte header).
So how do I alter the adress which is out of the file size? Thanks!
(By the way I need this also for code VZTLTN altering 0xB766 to AE)

UglyJoe

Because SMB1 doesn't do any bankswapping, you can do this:

0xD92D + 0x10   ; offset iNES header
0xD93D - 0x8000 ; offset start of NES PRG-ROM space
0x593D          ; address of byte you want to change

jpx72

Great! It works (obviously)!
So add the lenght of the header and substract the lenght of the PRG part... Hopefully one day i will understand why :D
Thanks a million UglyJoe!

gorgyrip

UglyJoe can you please, make a code for loopy smb2j so you 7 or 8 stars at title screen? thanx.

UglyJoe

This one is a bit weird.  There are three places in the game's code that check the "how many stars should they have" byte (which is stored as the first byte in the SRAM at 0x6000).

VXEGZGAV - The "functional" code.  This one will give you 24 stars, but you don't see them on the title screen.  If you hold down A when you press start, though, you'll be in World A.

VZUYXZAV - The "cosmetic" code.  This one will light up the title screen with 24 stars, but as far as I can tell it's just for looks.

VXXKYIAV - The "mystery" code.  This modifies part of the game code that looks at the "stars" byte, but I have no idea what it does.

You can use them in any combination that you want, as they should work independent of each other (except maybe the third one, since I don't know what it actually does...).  I figured 24 stars was better than 7 or 8, but if you specifically need 7 or 8 stars there, I can come up with codes for those, as well.

jpx72

May I jump in with something different?
I have a question from the other end: There are two versions of hacked FDS version of All night nippon Super mario bros rom to work on cartridge:
All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. (J).nes
All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. (J) [a1].nes
The ONLY difference is at h9B6F where the first one has hEF and the second [alternative] has h6F. What does this difference do? It's definatelly nothing obvious because I can't tell from playing those two versions for some time. Maybe it's just some mistake that occured during dumping the pirate rom, and maybe it doesn't affect gameplay at all. Can this be discovered by any mean? Thanks!

UglyJoe

When you're looking for small changes like this based only on a single address, the first thing to do would be to determine if it's program rom or character rom.  A quick glance at the rom in a tile editor shows that the address 0x9b6f is part of the CHR-ROM, so it's just a graphical change. 

The difference is a single pixel in part of the stone floor graphics, as shown below.  I've marked the different pixel with a blue pixel so it'll stand out better.  You can see after I stop marking it that it is indeed a different color between versions.

And here they are side by side, notice the bottom-left pixel

jpx72

Wow you really ARE a genius Joe! Thanks! I would have never found out what's the difference, and it would bother me for a VERY long time! I would say that the A1 stone texture version looks a little better than the first one, but it's such a small diference that I actually think it's only a mistake. And a mistake that got an [a1] tag and it's spread over the internet.

Also great job on the stars-code for loopy's SMB2j! Always appreciate a new code for my repro! :D

gorgyrip

UglyJoe, thanx for the codes. i tested them on a real nes.
VXEGZGAV - The "functional" code.  It works, but the game freezes sometimes. for exemple when i was at the end of world A-1, or when i paused the game in A-1 to go for a smoke. It's random. i don't know if it's a bad connection between the nes-game genie-game, or maybe the rom, or even the code.

VZUYXZAV - The "cosmetic" code. - This code didn't worked.

if you please, can me make a code to have 7 stars. why 7? because i want to make another cart whit the code patched in the rom. and that way you can acces world A-1 only when you finish the game one time.  it's not important if the star are visible or not at the title screen.

UglyJoe

Quote from: gorgyrip on February 10, 2011, 11:13:39 pm
if you please, can me make a code to have 7 stars. why 7? because i want to make another cart whit the code patched in the rom. and that way you can acces world A-1 only when you finish the game one time.  it's not important if the star are visible or not at the title screen.

Would have been helpful to know this at the beginning!  So you don't really want 7 stars, you want to be able to get to World A after beating the game only once.  Those are two different things.  I can make a code for that.

gorgyrip

sorry for not telling you. a code like you said would be perfect.

UglyJoe

Try PEEGGKAA.  That should let you get to World A with only one star.

gorgyrip

February 12, 2011, 01:15:18 am #89 Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:43:23 am by gorgyrip
thanx. i will try that.

Post Merge: February 13, 2011, 05:54:03 am

i just finished the game (using warp pipes) with your code and it's working! THANX. soon i will make a new cart.

I finished the new cart with the code patched into the rom and it's working. Thanx again UglyJoe.