Famicom Dojo

Started by satoshi_matrix, September 20, 2007, 07:50:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EvLloyd

I quite enjoyed it too!! ;D

Vinnk

Quote from: famidon on November 11, 2013, 10:30:47 am
Not a great fan of Dojo. I love the informative nature of there vids but there attempt at humour kinda annoys me  ???

Sorry.   I suppose we don't do the comedy as well as the info.  We try to do something different from the other "let's play" and "game history" videos but I agree it's not for everyone.

Quote from: Mathius on November 11, 2013, 12:37:20 pm
I rather enjoy it. :)

Thank you.

Quote from: EvLloyd on November 11, 2013, 12:46:08 pm

And thank you.  We really enjoy making them.  We know they are not for everyone, but we are glad some people like them.
My internet TV show [Famicom Dojo] www.famicomdojo.tv   My Japanese Retro Game Store https://japanretrodirect.ocnk.com

EvLloyd

Quote from: Vinnk on November 12, 2013, 06:22:18 am
Quote from: famidon on November 11, 2013, 10:30:47 am
Not a great fan of Dojo. I love the informative nature of there vids but there attempt at humour kinda annoys me  ???

Sorry.   I suppose we don't do the comedy as well as the info.  We try to do something different from the other "let's play" and "game history" videos but I agree it's not for everyone.

Quote from: Mathius on November 11, 2013, 12:37:20 pm
I rather enjoy it. :)

Thank you.

Quote from: EvLloyd on November 11, 2013, 12:46:08 pm

And thank you.  We really enjoy making them.  We know they are not for everyone, but we are glad some people like them.

To be honest, the comedy is totally childish!, so its perfect! ;D
Keep on making them! pretty please!!

Vinnk

Quote from: EvLloyd on November 12, 2013, 12:00:03 pm
To be honest, the comedy is totally childish!, so its perfect! ;D
Keep on making them! pretty please!!

Ok, just for you we will keep making them
My internet TV show [Famicom Dojo] www.famicomdojo.tv   My Japanese Retro Game Store https://japanretrodirect.ocnk.com

Vinnk

April 29, 2015, 09:37:40 pm #169 Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:10:11 pm by Vinnk
Hello!  A little update from Famicom Dojo.  In the last 2 months we have put up 8 new videos (1 a week).  We are really proud of out newest episode about the Famicom Data Recorder.   I'd love to hear what you guys think:

https://youtu.be/__9VYaKMwQI?list=PL9Q0B9ucLxwfCLgqRWgNrjBR-viJ8hSeq

We have a few more weeks of new videos before exhausting our backlog.  It's good to be back.

Ghegs

That was really interesting. I haven't really explored the Data Recorder at all, so it was nice to see it explained. And then promptly disregarded when you pointed out you can hook the keyboard to a computer and save the levels that way for way more convenience and reliability. I would totally get the keyboard and just save and share my creations as MP3 files if there were more people into it, actively sharing what they've made and playing the levels made by others. A cool, anachronistic mix of old tech and new tech.

It also occurred to me that since the keyboard just acts as a pass-through there (no BASIC cart or anything needed), it might be possible to create a simpler, cheaper, smaller replacement pass-through that just has the audio ports.

UglyJoe

There are some other peripherals that can be used instead of the keyboard.  The "S.D. Station" comes to mind.

Also, if you use a computer to do this, use a lossless format instead of MP3. 

Ghegs

Quote from: UglyJoe on April 30, 2015, 03:43:43 am
There are some other peripherals that can be used instead of the keyboard.  The "S.D. Station" comes to mind.

Oh, neat. That's certainly a lot smaller already. Works fine with AV Famicom as well, I suppose.

Kind of tempting. Wish more than just four games supported it, though...

UglyJoe

There's a thread about how Arkanoid II saves/loads its custom stages and whether it is compatible with the Data Recorder.  I was able to use an emulator to capture the save data as an audio file, but I can't get it to load the data back in.  I'm not sure if it used audio or if the Arkanoid II controller had some kind of memory built in.  I don't have the cart or the controller, though, so my research has stopped there.

SeanOrange

Yeah, lossless is probably best, but we did do a lot of experimentation with MP3s, and found that 128 Kbps files kept the necessary fidelity. We do have the raw WAV files as well, just in case.

This Arkanoid thing is fascinating to me. I'll have to look up the controller, etc.
~Sean(Orange)

zmaster18

I thought your data recorder episode was good. I have watched all of your episodes since I started getting into Famicom. Good stuff guys.  8)

P

Lode Runner can also save edited levels. But the save menu only appears if the Keyboard is connected so I'm not sure you can use S.D Station and such devices with that particular title. I also suspect Nuts and Milk can save to tape, but I have no idea how.

That's at least six titles that can save to tape (not counting all versions of Family Basic).

Check this thread out for details:
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=5017.0

Post Merge: April 30, 2015, 04:15:48 pm

Quote from: Ghegs on April 30, 2015, 04:29:47 am
Quote from: UglyJoe on April 30, 2015, 03:43:43 am

Oh, neat. That's certainly a lot smaller already. Works fine with AV Famicom as well, I suppose.
The Keyboard should also work with AV Famicom. It connects to the 15-pin expansion port.

Ghegs

Quote from: P on April 30, 2015, 04:10:52 pm
Lode Runner can also save edited levels. But the save menu only appears if the Keyboard is connected so I'm not sure you can use S.D Station and such devices with that particular title. I also suspect Nuts and Milk can save to tape, but I have no idea how.

That's at least six titles that can save to tape (not counting all versions of Family Basic).

Starting to sound intriguing. If anybody can point me towards a loose S.D. Station, I'll grab that and start testing things. I see a few boxed ones on eBay and YAJ, but I don't want the box and the headphones, they'd just take up space and I'd feel compelled to keep them though I have no use them. My CIB collection habits don't extend to hardware, it seems.

P

Yeah I also usually collect loose hardware or only with manual. Hardware doesn't have as much artwork and such as games do, the manuals are often more practical and boring and the boxes take too much space.

Back to topic, note that Lode Runner probably can't save with S.D Station or Ascii sticks. I think it checks for the Keyboard signature and if it doesn't find it, the save menu just won't appear when you press select (the screen will blink though). But who knows? If you do get it and test it, I would be happy to know for sure.

Vinnk

Checked out Lode Runner (It saves to Data Recorder) and Nuts and Milk (it doesn't).  Working on a follow up video right now.  So I have 5 confirmed games I have personally seen working on original hardware:

Wrecking Crew
Mach Rider
Excitebike
Castle Excellent
Lode Runner

And I also saved a Famicom Basic (V1 I think?) test program on the Data Recorder (for a different video).  Sean has V3 and he will try that.

Anything else I might be missing?

Thank you guys for all your feedback.   You rock!  I'll give you guys a shout out.