List of unlicensed originals, ports and hacks

Started by Jabra, October 18, 2007, 11:24:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Trenton_net

Hrm. I didn't look over the list in any great detail, but I think a lot of games I sell/sold are still not included on the list. Games such as AvP, WoW/Fantasy Star, Resident Evil, etc. Perhaps a scan of the Buy and Sell would help fill any gaps.

JC

There are few Chinese RPGs on the list because there are a ton and no one seems to know them all so we've just listed none.

macmoose

Shouldn't we just start adding as much as we know to the list? As long as they are confirmed as existing, I don't see why not.

JC

I think we need a separate list for Chinese RPGs. If someone wants to get it started, please do. I've got some game names and IDs for it.

Bramsworth

Just noticed this game is missing from the list

San Guo Zhi: Chi Bi Zhi Zhan -- Asder Soft/NTDEC

It's a port of Warriors of Fate on Arcade. Some other company also made a port that looked even worse.

JC

We have it on the FW game list as San Guo Zhi: Qun Xiong Zheng Ba. Is that wrong? Or is that a different game?

mrdomino

Different game. Both made by the same company though.

that said, Chi Bi Zhi Zhan is actually in the list already, it's just romanised in Cantonese (as Chik Bik Ji Jin: Saam Gwok Ji)
some of my stuff: twitter // super multi // handheld underground

Bramsworth

Ah, I see. Why it became known with it's Cantonese reading is beyond me, just complicates things since all games are in their Mandarin readings normally.

famiac

Koko Adventure -- (Super Mario World hack)

Anyone have more info on this game? perhaps pics? thanks!

Bramsworth

It's not a Super Mario World hack either. It's an original title that just tries to be like Mario. There's an English ROM dumped called Buzz & Waldog, proto of an unreleased localization.

I have to wonder who thought it was a "hack" of SMW :P

Cheetahmen

Looking through that list, I've found a few errors which I don't think anyone else has pointed out. Sonic the Hedgehog is a hack of Somari, not the other way around. If you look through the tiles of both ROMs, you'll find some unused graphical tiles from Somari in StH. Family Kid is a hack of it also, which is made obvious by Mario's appearance whenever you complete an act. Lupin the Third isn't an unlicensed game at all, it's a copyright hacked version of Namco's game. As for Magic Jewelry II, there was also a Magic Jewelry that came before it. If I remember correctly, a company called Nice Code (possibly the most misleading name for any company that has ever existed) developed the games that were on those Bensheng 4-in-1 cartridges, apart from Super Fight I. As well as this, Super Game is missing off that list of game developers.
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

nintendodork

Quote from: Cheetahmen on January 03, 2011, 03:25:15 pm
Sonic the Hedgehog is a hack of Somari,
That has never actually been proven.  The pirates may have not used those tiles in Sonic, and then used them later when they made Somari.  I really think the only way we'll ever know is if we asked the developers...which I doubt any of us will ever do.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Cheetahmen

Whatever the case, Family Kid definitely is. The title screen is clearly a modified version of Somari's and because Family were lazy, the signposts at the end of each act are unmodified which show Mario's face. Also, I might be wrong but with Sonic the Hedgehog, the only cartridges that I'm aware of that it was released on either call it Sonic 3D Blast 5 or possibly Sonic 5, the latter of which has a 1999 label on it. Somari came out in 1994, two years before Sonic 3D Blast, and I think Sonic the Hedgehog was distributed by NT. Rather odd that they'd put the name Sonic 3D Blast on something that's clearly a ripoff of the first game, but NT's other cartridge labels are pretty odd to say the least. Another thing to suggest that Sonic came afterwards is that certain objects and enemies which were red in the original game (and are in Somari) are blue in Sonic.

BTW, you're also missing Super Contra 6 off that list of hacks. It's a hack of Contra Force in case you don't know.
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

klax

What about Rock Roll 3M?

Or Yoko software's Street Fighter II clone?

russ

January 07, 2016, 06:08:40 am #59 Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:18:38 am by russ
Hi everyone I'm new around here. just wanted to share a pirate 5 in 1 cart I just brought from eBay. the plastic feels a little cheap but on the whole I am very pleased with it.
contents:
duck tales,
duck tales 2,
Flintstones,
Flintstones 2,
little Samson.