Last Famicom game you played?

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghegs

I've been playing the mostly unknown puzzler Shi Kin Jou on and off for a long while, but now, at level 77, I'm calling it quits. I love a good block-pushing puzzle game a la Sokoban, and this one was great at start, but it introduced new mechanics that pretty much ruin it for me.

One of the things I enjoy about Sokoban is that you can look at the game board and plan your moves in advance, so if you can read far enough ahead you can solve a previously unseen level on the first try. Everything's out there in plain sight. In Shi Kin Jou that's true for early levels, but then they introduce invisible pitfalls. There's nothing there to indicate it's a trap square, but once you step on it, you have to start the level from the start. The only way to find these is to step on them. And then shortly after, the game introduces stacked tiles. Again, nothing to indicate anything out of the ordinary, but make certain tiles disappear and suddenly there's another tile in your way in the same location. It just feels like bad "ha ha, gotcha!" type of design to me.

The difficulty curve is also completely out of whack. The first level is challenging but then it's a lot easy levels until a difficult one comes your way again. No rhyme or reason to it. Many levels I solved by what felt like completely by accident, making them seem sloppily designed. Props to the game for a fun main mechanic, having three unique audiovisual styles to choose from and an import-friendly password system, but it would've been so much better had those additional ideas just been thrown out completely.

Toneman

Rockman 5: Killer to Hell or something like that. I love Rockman hacks!

Ninja Gaiden III, the super hard American version via FC Everdrive N8, the score actually resets when you max it out.

Instagram: Kokujin804

Cheetahmen

I actually played Rockman 5 a little bit recently. I really need to practice on the castle stages as the bosses in those are a lot harder than the robot masters themselves. :octorok:
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

Paaman

Been playing Kid Dracula. Love the cutesy art direction in the game.

Zycrow

Quote from: Paaman on February 15, 2016, 03:25:16 am
Been playing Kid Dracula. Love the cutesy art direction in the game.

Great game.

I've been playing the original Pinball. It's such a simple and fun game, perfect for a 10-15 minute game session.

Other games I've played recently have been Warpman, Goonies, Tower of Druaga, and Puyo Puyo.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

g_block

All Night Nippon Super Mario and Super Mario 2 (japan)

probably gonna do japanese Contra again before I pack everything up to change apartments

arnpoly

I finally got my FDS to read a disk for the first time.  :)

I played a little bit of Eggerland.

Yelir

The last game I played through was Kyatto Ninden Teyandee. I felt it was quite short, but will probably replay it soon just to listen to Stage 9's music.  :bub:

djdac

March 14, 2016, 01:29:29 am #2828 Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 12:58:51 am by djdac
Hey everyone! Just played some Rockman 2.

Post Merge: March 16, 2016, 12:58:51 am

Punch-Out!

Nuudoru

I just spent an hour playing Wai Wai World 2 to show off to a friend of mine. He's a huge fan of both Goemon 64 and the Castlevania series so a game with both of them peaked his interest. I might have a co-op friend to play with now!

djdac

Protoman

Cross Fire

Pretty good game actually... I wish I'd bought it back when I had the chance to

DDCecil

Contra. Finally beat it last night without the Konami Code (I did lose some continues in Stage 7, but the final stage was very easy with the Spread Gun)!

BaconBitsKing

Played some Ninja Ryukenden III yesterday until I got a game over. I'm about to go play Rockman 3.  :mario:

Zycrow

Quote from: BaconBitsKing on April 07, 2016, 12:28:47 pm
Played some Ninja Ryukenden III yesterday until I got a game over. I'm about to go play Rockman 3.  :mario:

Famicom is the way to go with Ninja Ryukenden III. The NES version puts a limit on continues and pretty much breaks the difficulty level.

I just recently got a Hudson JoyCard and used it to finally complete Gradius. It's been a long time coming - now I have some other shooters that I can play without causing massive pain in my hand muscles :)
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18