Last Famicom game you played?

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdynebraskan

I had a friend over earlier that's a big CastleVania fan, so I went back to Akumajou Densetsu. We played through it long enough for me to earn the services of Alucard. It's been years since I made it that far. I'm going to have to sit down and try to beat this game someday soon.

I also played a bit of Wai Wai World 2 tonight. Also a great choice.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

teaheadjoyride

I picked up Namcot's Star Luster a few days ago and have been really enjoying that.
It's a first person space shooter with three different modes (that seem to indicate difficulty) all in which you select a location on the ship's hud and fight enemies until there aren't any left, then move on to the next location. One of my favorite aspects is that one of the enemies is a straight up Death Star.
I could compare it to BattleTank, if anyone has played that...
Other than that, I finally got around to playing Koneko Monogatari: Adventures of Chatran on the disk system which I found to be an enjoyable and unique piece of software. It's based on a film of the same title, which was also localized for the United States as "Milo and Otis". It is a sidescroller that has you taking the role of Chatran, whose only defense is dropping eggs when he jumps. The eggs are limited and are gathered by either hitting a tree's leaves with your head. You can also jump on top of the tree leaves which generally drop apples which you can kill enemies with and also gather for points. I suspect the reason for it ending up on disk system is because of the effect used on the tree leaves, something I have never seen used in another Famicom/NES game. I'd recommend it if you are looking for interesting FDS software.

I've been also kinda hooked on Tecmo's Pro Wrestle, though I'm horrible at it  :-[

nerdynebraskan

Tonight, I played some Parasol Henbee and Taiyou no Yuusha Firebird.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Nightstar699

Henbee is a fun one, yeah? I played Castlevania 1 today, mostly. Ran it twice, one where I made a ton of mistakes but kept playing anyway, it made for an interesting playthrough because I had the wrong subweapon like... everywhere. And then afterwards I gave it a proper no-death run, 14:59 is my time which is good, I was hoping for sub 15:00.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

P

Nightstar you have played Castlevania many times. Have you ever seen the glitch that makes the game crash randomly and corrupt graphics? Here https://tcrf.net/Castlevania_%28NES%29 PRG0 random crash. It's suspected that it can happen in US PRG1 version too but I've never seen it in scandinavia or Japanese cart version. I'm curious if anyone else have seen it.

Last game I played: Xevious, I'm getting better at shooting games! :)

Nightstar699

I have absolutely seen that glitch... on my U.S. copy, when I was younger. I was  actually just thinking about this yesterday, how my U.S. copy gave me tons of problems as a kid but I haven't had a single issue with my Japanese cart.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

P

I see so it's probably true that it's fixed in the Japanese version and probably PAL version. The reason I asked is because there's a guy with the PRG1 version that still seems to trigger the glitch http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12977. I guess it wasn't completely fixed in the US PRG1 version after all, but fixed in later versions of the game.

Nightstar699

Yeah, Death's stage was awful when it came to crashing/glitches. I'll be sure to report if I ever come across such a glitch on my JP cart but it's been smooth sailing since I got it.

P

Ugh that's a bit too far into the game for crashes. Especially for a game without any ability to save.

Anyway thanks!

Nightstar699

No problem man, I just got done running it, actually, no stage 5 glitch. However I did execute a few other glitches, including the sprite overlap glitch with the Mummies, and I got a critical hit against Dracula form 1. Think I also got a critical hit on one of the Bone Pillars in stage 3.

Zycrow

What are these critical hits of which you speak? Does the whip randomly deal higher damage?
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

Nightstar699

July 06, 2015, 12:03:27 pm #2711 Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:35:28 pm by Nightstar699
Not randomly - if you whip something on the exact same frame as it hits you, your whip will do a monstrous amount of damage for some reason. You can kill the bat boss of stage 1 in one hit using this method, however my timing isn't good enough yet so I use a (much slower) AI manipulation to kill that boss.

Edit: Here's a demonstration of the glitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjvF4w5R5zA

number47

Just played Lunar Ball. Did some freak experiments with 0 friction.

Zycrow

Quote from: number47 on July 06, 2015, 12:57:26 pm
Just played Lunar Ball. Did some freak experiments with 0 friction.

I like that game - I have the NES version. I would never have given it a second glance if not for Chrontendo.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

Nightstar699

More Castlevania - 14:49 was my time this run. I decided I'm gonna try the game "axe%" meaning I'll keep the axe subweapon the entire game, if I can... should be fun.