Games Lists (errors and additions)

Started by the_wizard_666, August 01, 2006, 04:57:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

Quote from: Jamtex on February 21, 2015, 01:11:31 pm
One field that I would love to see added is a Japanese required field.

I do want to try and incorporate this somehow into the site, but not directly into the game list (since it's a subjective attribute rather than an objective one).

Vitani

I noticed http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Bao_Qing_Tian that this game is listed there under a different name along with information about date pf production, developer, and cart ID. Perhaps an AKA can be added to Pao Ching Tien which you even have an article accompanying already.

fcgamer

November 20, 2015, 08:37:40 am #62 Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:48:57 am by SumixXam
Quote from: Vitani on November 20, 2015, 03:50:32 am
I noticed http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Bao_Qing_Tian that this game is listed there under a different name along with information about date pf production, developer, and cart ID. Perhaps an AKA can be added to Pao Ching Tien which you even have an article accompanying already.

Well with those names, the one name (Justice Bao) is just a translation of the Chinese name.  As for the two spellings of the Chinese name, it is just two different Romanization schemes, but is more or less the same.  Personally I like "Bao Qing Tian" better than "Pao Ching Tien", as the Romanization scheme is (these days) more popular, I guess.

Post Merge: November 20, 2015, 08:38:39 am

On another note, I do think the Kiddy Sun in Fantasia cart should be added to the list as a licensed release, since it was.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

MaxXimus

I agree about the kiddy sun cartridge. By the way, a very interesting read fcgamer! I snoop your blog a few times a month to read through the articles. :)

Guardian

February 09, 2016, 03:11:13 pm #64 Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:32:08 pm by Guardian
Hey there, folks,

I have a couple of questions with regards to the game list.

Firstly, what's going on with the dates recorded for these three games?

01,02/18/1988   Tanigawa Kouji no Shougi Shinan II
01,02,03/27/1990   STED: Iseki Wakusei no Yabou
05/01,02,03/1991   Palamedes II: Star Twinkles

--

Secondly, I assume that these groups of games are just releases and re-releases of the same game on Family Computer and Disk System:

Tanigawa Kouji no Shougi Shinan II
Tanigawa Kouji no Syougishinan II
Tanigawa Kouji no Syougishinan II: Tsumeshogi/Tsugi no Itte

Igo: Kyuroban Taikyoku
Igo: Kyuu Roban Taikyoku

Could we please decide on a consistent way of Romanizing the titles?

--

Here are other examples of inconsistent title formatting between different editions of the same game.

BurgerTime
Burger Time

TwinBee
Twin Bee (if those are in fact the same game by Konami.)

--

In looking for other Release:Re-Release pairs I noticed that you have listed
Pro Yakyu Family Stadium as R.B.I. Baseball and
Pro Yakyuu Family Stadium as R.B.I. Baseball 2
but both are in your records as being released on the same day (12/10/1986) and are spelled nearly identically so something seems amiss.

--

In the Rockman/Mega Man series, on RockMan 4, the 'M' in 'Man' is not capitalized as it is on all of the other games.

RockMan
RockMan 2: Dr. Wily no Nazo
RockMan 3: Dr. Wily no Saigo!?
Rockman 4: Aratanaru Yabou!!
RockMan 5: Blues no Wana!?
RockMan 6: Shijou Saidai no Tatakai!!

And if the text for the NES NTSC and NES PAL Mega Man 4 is not automatically updated when the Japanese title is updated, then be sure to capitalize the 'M' in them as well.

Mega Man 4 (nes ntsc of Rockman 4: Aratanaru Yabou!!)
Mega Man 4 (nes pal of Rockman 4: Aratanaru Yabou!!)

--

I'm guessing these two games are in the same series. The last phrase in Japanese appears to be the same but is formatted differently.
Tantei Jinguji Saburou: Shinjuku Chuoukouen Renzoku Satsujin Jiken
Tantei Jinguji Saburou: Yokohamakou Renzokusatsujinjiken

Consistency in formatting is always appreciated.

--

P

Here's my two cents:

For Japanese romanization, Hepburn is usually favoured (sho instead of syo, chi instead of ti etc) since it will generally be pronounced correctly more often than Nihonshiki by people that know English. But since it requires a macron above the vowel (ā, ō etc) which is not easy to type on a keyboard, for signalizing a long vowel, a double vowel is sometimes used instead for long vowels.

Pro Yakyuu Family Stadium and Pro Yakyu Family Stadium are both the same game. It's just that the later skipped the macron (it should really be Pro Yakyū Family Stadium). So either use macron or double vowels, but don't skip it.

TwinBee - Here I think a space would usually be used to make it consistent with English space usage. Even when the title on the cover and title screen may be stylized without a space. But for example Rockman is written in one word (it's a name after all) from what I have seen.

Guardian

February 13, 2016, 06:05:43 pm #66 Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:38:28 pm by Guardian
I've been creating a spreadsheet of the game list and wanted to put each NES NTSC and NES PAL version of a game on the same row as their Japanese counterpart.

In doing this, I noticed that several of the licensed NES games are not marked as
NES NTSC of _______ or
NES PAL of _______ but rather
NES of _______ (no region/format specified)

In an effort to focus on these, I created a set of columns for their data and set it between my NES NTSC columns and NES PAL columns.

There are seven games from this set which I've placed on the same row as the corresponding Japanese release claimed by the FW's game list.

Crash 'n' the Boys: Ice Challenge (planned nes of Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey-bu: Subette Koronde Dairantou)
Double Strike (nes of Twin Eagle)
Earthbound (prototype nes of Mother)
Jack and the Beanstalk (planned nes of Jumpin' Kid: Jack to Mame no Ki Monogatari)
Squashed (prototype nes of Ninja Jajamaru: Ginga Daisakusen)
Super Pitfall II (prototype nes of Atlantis no Nazo)
Taro's Quest (prototype nes of Jajamaru Ninpouchou)

Of these seven, six of them are prototypes or planned but unreleased games.

The exception to this is Double Strike which Famicom World's game list claims corresponds to Twin Eagle.
In looking at Wikipedia (DS TE), MobyGames (DS TE), Bootgod (DS TE), and actually opening the roms of these games, I would have to say that this correlation is false.

--

Separately, I am wondering whether it makes sense to have those six unreleased western ports listed as licensed, even if they were to be ports of licensed games.

Post Merge: July 13, 2019, 08:18:59 pm

Further on the topic of whether games are licensed or not...

Can anyone confirm that these NES games which are listed on Famicom World as Licensed actually are?

Three of these four NTSC games which don't correspond to a licensed Japanese release (as currently listed by Famicom World) are adult oriented which makes me suspicious that Nintendo of America would ever license them officially and I don't see any sign of 'Licensed by Nintendo' when I boot them.

From the NES NTSC of _______ list:
Bubble Bath Babes (nes ntsc of Soap Panic)
Galactic Crusader (nes ntsc of Papillon)
Hot Slots (nes ntsc of AV Pachi Slot)
Peek-a-Boo Poker (nes ntsc of AV Poker)

The NES region-not-specified list below which do not correspond to any licensed Japanese release (as currently listed on Famicom World) contains many combo carts which don't strike me as something that would normally be officially licensed either.

From the NES of _______ list:
Auto-Upturn (nes of Auto-Upturn)
Bingo 75 (nes of Bingo 75)
Bonus Tiles Mahjong: Taiwan Mahjong II (nes of Taiwan Mahjong II: Bonus Tiles Mahjong)
Caltron 6 in 1 (nes of 6 in 1)
Challenge of the Dragon (nes of Challenge of the Dragon)
Chess Academy (nes of Chess Academy)
Chinese Checkers (nes of Chinese Checkers)
Colorful Dragon (nes of Colorful Dragon)
Dancing Block (nes of Dancing Block)
Eon Man (planned nes of Time Diver Avenger)
Final Combat (nes of Final Combat)
Gaiapolis (nes of Gaiapolis)
Galactic Crusader (nes of Galactic Crusader)
Happy Pairs (nes of Happy Pairs)
Hell Fighter (nes of Hell Fighter)
Hidden Chinese Chess (nes of Hidden Chinese Chess)
Honey Peach (nes of Honey Peach)
Jovial Race (nes of Jovial Race)
Jurassic Boy (nes of Jurassic Boy 2)
Little Red Hood (nes of Little Red Hood)
Locksmith (nes of Locksmith)
Lucky Bingo 777 (nes of Lucky 777)
Magic Cube (nes of Magic Cube)
Magical Mathematics (nes of Magic Mathematics)
Mahjang Companion (nes of Mahjang Companion)
Mahjong Academy (nes of Mahjong Academy)
Mahjong Trap (nes of Mahjong Trap)
Mahjong Trap (nes of Mahjong Trap)
Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu (nes of Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu)
Metal Fighter (nes of Metal Fighter)
Middle School English (nes of Middle School English II)
Millionaire (nes of Millionaire)
Olympic I.Q. (nes of Olympic I.Q.)
Penguin & Seal (nes of Penguin & Seal, The)
Pipe 5 (nes of Pipe 5)
Po Po Team (nes of Po Po Team)
Poker II (nes of Poker II)
Poker III: 5 in 1 (nes of Poker III: 5 in 1)
Poker Mahjong (nes of Poker Mahjong)
P'Radikus Conflict, The (nes of P'Radikus Conflict, The)
Pyramid II (nes of Pyramid II)
Pyramid (nes of Pyramid)
Q-Boy (nes of Q-Boy)
Robodemons (nes of Robodemons)
Rockball (nes of Rockball)
Sidewinder (nes of Sidewinder)
Silent Assault (nes of Silent Assault)
Strategist (nes of Strategist)
Street Heroes (nes of Street Heroes)
Super Cartridge Ver. 1 (nes of Super Cartridge Ver. 1: 4 in 1)
Super Cartridge Ver. 2 (nes of Super Cartridge Ver. 2: 10 in 1)
Super Cartridge Ver. 3 (nes of Super Cartridge Ver. 3: 8 in 1)
Super Cartridge Ver. 4 (nes of Super Cartridge Ver. 4: 6 in 1)
Super Cartridge Ver. 5 (nes of Super Cartridge Ver. 5: 7 in 1)
Super Cartridge Ver. 6 (nes of Super Cartridge Ver. 6: 6 in 1)
Super Cartridge Ver. 7 (nes of Super Cartridge Ver. 7: 4 in 1)
Super Cartridge Ver. 8 (nes of Super Cartridge Ver. 8: 4 in 1)
Super Cartridge Ver. 9 (nes of Super Cartridge Ver. 9: 3 in 1)
Super Pang II (nes of Super Pang II)
Super Pang (nes of Super Pang)
Taiwan Mahjong (nes of Taiwan Mahjong: 16)
Tasac (nes of Tasac)
The Mahjong World (nes of Mahjong World, The)
The World of Card Games (nes of World of Card Games, The)
Tiles of Fate (nes of Tiles of Fate)

Post Merge: February 25, 2017, 10:19:34 pm

I've found a couple of Publisher/Developer discrepancies:

Topple Zip is recorded by Famicom World to be Pub/Dev by "Jareco"
At first I was merely going to report this as a misspelling of Jaleco, but after looking at a video of it, it seems clearly published by Bothtec.

--

Othello's initial release on the Disk System is correctly attributed to Kawada, however
its re-release on Famicom cartridge a month later is attributed to "Kawanda".

UglyJoe

February 21, 2016, 07:04:07 am #67 Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:02:57 pm by UglyJoe
Quote from: fcgamer on November 20, 2015, 08:37:40 am
On another note, I do think the Kiddy Sun in Fantasia cart should be added to the list as a licensed release, since it was.

Going to add an entry for Kiddy Sun.  Who would you say are the Developer? Publisher?  Any idea on a release date (month and/or year)?

Post Merge: February 21, 2016, 02:48:39 pm

Guardian, thank you for the detailed list of corrections.  I have made the following changes:

• Fixed STED's release date.
  • Fixed Palamedes II release date.
  • Fixed the Igo titles so that they are consistent.
  • Fixed the BurgerTime titles so that they are consistent.
  • Fixed the TwinBee titles so that they are consistent.
  • Fixed the Pro Yakyuu titles so that they are consistent.
  • Fixed the NES versions of the Pro Yakyuu games.
  • Deleted a duplicate Pro Yakyuu game.
  • Changed Rockman to RockMan to keep things consistent (although I think Rockman is actually the accepted version)
  • Fixed the Tantei Jinguji Saburou titles so that they are consistent.
  • Corrected Topple Zip pub and dev.
  • Corrected Othello pub and dev.

The "Tanigawa Kouji no Shougi" games will require a bit more research.  I know that there are three releases (two disk, one cart), but I'm still pinning down the details.  I'm rather sick at the moment, so I'm having trouble concentrating between books and browser tabs and languages :-[ Edit: I think got these sorted out.  Disk release (two sides), then cart release, then a disk-writer release that only had one side.  That disk-writer exclusive seems to be somewhat rare.

I'm still looking into the Double Strike / Twin Eagle relationship.  I believe there is an official "Twin Eagle" and an unofficial "Twin Eagle".  The NES "Double Strike" appears to be the same game as the unofficial "Twin Eagle".  Again, though, kinda hazy right now so I'll look into it more later. Yeah, that is the relationship.  Licensed Twin Eagle JA -> Licensed Twin Eagle US NTSC.  Unlicensed Twin Eagle JA -> Unlicensed Double Strike US NTSC.  I added a NES NTSC for Twin Eagle in the hopes of making things less ambiguous.

Regarding the large list of supposedly licensed NES titles, I am afraid that is due to a bug in the game list code.  Each game entry is categorized as either licensed or unlicensed.  For any game entry, one or more synonym titles can be associated with it (such as NES NTSC, NES PAL, etc).  The synonyms are not their own game entries and have no licensed/unlicensed status of their own.  Rather, they are assumed to share the licensing status of their parent game entry.  However, when you tell the game list to include "Other" titles, it appears to be including them regardless of the inclusion/exclusion of their parent game entry within the filter.  I will try to fix this.  Sorry it has caused confusion. Edit: This should be fixed now!

Post Merge: February 22, 2016, 07:02:57 pm

Added an entry for Kiddy Sun in Fantasia: http://famicomworld.com/game/1630/

Let me know if any of the info is wrong or missing.

fcgamer

Twin Eagle, there are two of them on Famicom.

One is by Sachen, and it is unlicensed.  It is equal to Double Strike on the NES, I can confirm it.

The other is a licensed game, which I sadly don't have in my collection.  I have an extra unlicensed version, if someone wants to make a swap, lol.

Kiddy Sun, I think you got it right Joe.  I could get my gf to look through some of the old magazines I have and see if there are any text blurbs about the Kiddy Sun (contest/event?), but she is quite busy and I rather not ask.  Era Tech is just Hudson in Taiwan / Hong Kong, they would be the publisher, and developer would be Hudson of course.

Guardian

Thanks for the updates, especially when you weren't feeling well!

--

As you and fcgamer point out, it was the two different titles both called Twin Eagle that was tripping me up. I appreciate the clarification.

--

As to the Rockman series, if you feel Rockman is more appropriate than RockMan, that's fine.
I only ask that whichever formatting is chosen is consistently applied to all six games.

--

I do realize that this game list is Family-Computer-centric, but do you intend for it to be comprehensive with regards to all NES releases as well?

I ask because I don't see a few NES games such as those where the NES received a different port than the Family Computer did such as:
Tengen's or Nintendo's US versions of Tetris (both completely different ports to Bullet-Proof Software's port for Family Computer)
Tengen's port of Fantasy Zone (again, different than Sunsoft's Family Computer port)

I also am not seeing NES games which don't (to my knowledge) have a Family Computer or Disk System edition, such as:
Gumshoe by Nintendo
Slalom by Rare
Spy Hunter by Sunsoft
Karate Kid by Atlus
Jaws by Westone
Gotcha! The Sport by Sanritsu Denki
BreakThru by Data East
T&C Surf Designs: Wood and Water Rage from Atlus and Sanritsu
R.C. Pro-Am by Rare
Freedom Force by Sunsoft
Major League Baseball by Atlus
Legendary Wings by Capcom
Gauntlet from Atari and Tengen
Jeopardy! from Sharedata and Rare
Wheel of Fortune from Sharedata and Rare
Anticipation by Rare
Rampage from Bally Midway and Data East
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom from Atari and Tengen
Skate or Die! from EA and Konami
Platoon from Ocean and Sunsoft
Xenophobe from Bally Midway and Sunsoft
Vindicators from Atari and Tengen
Tecmo Baseball by Tecmo
WWF Wrestlemania by Rare
Sesame Street 123 by Zippo Games
Q*bert from Gottlieb and Konami
Bandai Golf Challenge Pebble Beach by Tose
Friday the 13th by Atlus
World Games by Software Creations and Rare
Marble Madness by Atari and Rare
John Elway's Quarterback by Leland and Rare
Taboo: The Sixth Sense by Rare
Adventures of Lolo by HAL Labs
Airwolf by Beam Software
Shooting Range by Tose
Monster Party by Human
California Games by Epyx and Rare
Defender of the Crown by Cinemaware
Cobra Triangle by Rare
Thundercade by Seta and Micronics
Strider by Capcom
Jordan Vs Bird: One on One from EA and Rare
Hollywood Squares from Rare
Sesame Street ABC from Zippo Games
Bad Street Brawler from Beam Software
I haven't collected enough data from enough sources yet to track down any other NES exclusive titles at the moment, but I'm sure you understand my question.

UglyJoe

For games like Tetris and Fantasy Zone (and Maniac Mansion!) I will probably add a note to the respective game pages saying that it is not the same as the NES release.  One of the more recent Wordpress updates broke my ability to add notes and screenshots and I haven't gotten around to fixing my code yet to handle the changes.

The list will not be comprehensive in regards to NES releases.  As I said before (possibly in a confusing way), the NES titles on the list are actually just synonyms for Famicom titles that are in the list.  The NES games just link to the parent Famicom game in the list.  So for the NES exclusives which have no Famicom counterpart, there would be no listing for it at all.

Some NES exclusives do have FC counterparts in pirate form (you can get a pirate FC cart with Legendary Wings, for example), but those are not currently represented on the list.  If those were to be added to the list, then I would probably add an NES synonym to the pirate cart's page.  I'm getting theoretical there, though.  I want to get the Licensed stuff as completed as possible before deciding on what to do about Unlicensed stuff (which is way more complicated).

fcgamer

Joe, if you ever decide to go more extensive with the unlicensed and straight out pirate stuff, I think you could use the checklist that I compiled as a starting place.  For most people, the list would be too extensive, but for a database representing the definitive Famicom source for westerners, I think it would be quite appropriate.

Guardian

Joe, thanks for the clarification.

I did understand what you'd said earlier about the NES titles just being synonyms for the Famicom and/or Disk System releases but it wasn't clear to me that the inverse could not also be true in cases of NES exclusivity.

Is there any technical limitation which prevents us from adding more fields to each game's entry which would allow us to add as much metadata for NES releases as is available?

--

fcgamer, is this your checklist that you mentioned?

fcgamer

Yeah, that's an old one for unlicensed games only.  Here is a list for everything:

https://fcgamer.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/complete-famicom-game-list.pdf

With this list there are some problems too, though, but I have a revised version with maybe 100 more entris on it, sitting on my hard drive,.  I just never uploaded the new version.

UglyJoe

Quote from: fcgamer on February 26, 2016, 08:41:19 pm
Joe, if you ever decide to go more extensive with the unlicensed and straight out pirate stuff, I think you could use the checklist that I compiled as a starting place.  For most people, the list would be too extensive, but for a database representing the definitive Famicom source for westerners, I think it would be quite appropriate.

Yeah, I would definitely ask you and some other folks around here, since the whole unlicensed scene is not at all my area of expertise.

Quote from: Guardian on February 26, 2016, 09:03:12 pm
Is there any technical limitation which prevents us from adding more fields to each game's entry which would allow us to add as much metadata for NES releases as is available?

The game list backend is all custom code, so there's nothing stopping me from doing much of anything beyond time and effort.  If I were going add more fields for NES titles, though, then I would probably just add entries for the NES games themselves, since many of the fields would overlap and there would be a one-to-many relationship in many cases (a single FC release has an NES NTSC, a NES PAL, a NES Asian, etc).