March 28, 2024, 02:34:55 am

Introduce yourself...

Started by ClassicGameLabs, August 20, 2006, 08:58:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakayote

Hello, I'm Bakayote, a video game collector and ROM hacker.

I grew up mainly with the NES and Genesis. But just recently, about last year, got into importing old Japanese games.

I got a Famicom half a year ago, and I'll be getting a Twin Famicom sometime soon. And I have to say, I like the small Famicom game packaging a lot more than the giant NES game cartridges. Plus there are some gems for the Famicom that never came out in the USA that are really good.

Nice to meet you all.

maxellnormalbias

Welcome to Famicom World.

YOU WILL STAY WITH US

FOREVER

Anyways, you grew up with the NES and Genesis? It must have been really fun back then. Maybe I should get a time machine.  :)

Anyways, I hope that you find everything you want at the Buy/Sell section, they have lots of multicarts. You can also get them at the Auction section. As for the other sections, do what you please, you can talk about anything from Wrecking Crew to Hummer Team pirates.

ScoreAddict

Hi!

I'm ScoreAddict. I'm more of a Sega-guy, but I sure love me some Nintendo! ;)

Recently, I bought my first Famicom. I paid way too much for it and it's broken too. Never trust friends without any clue who recommend strange offers from guys who end each and every of their emails with a stupid grinning smiley.  :crazy:

Me and the Famicom... never heard about it in the 80s, that's for sure! Back then Japanese consoles were (to me) as strange and alien - i.e. hard to get and expensive - as interplanetary expeditions! Mars no problem, next year, but Japanese imports?

Some of my friends started importing Japanese games around the SNES-era in the early 90s, but certainly not before. No money, no clue and way to many customs regulations etc. Well, same goes for me.

When I finally got around my first NES about a year ago I read about the Famicom and the process of it "becoming" the NES in the US. Fascinating, I thought, how very similar to the Sega Master System which had also derived from a computer line by the same company! Well, it's actually not as easy as that, isn't it...

But, anyway, I digress! Love to be here and to share some input and experiences with the rest of you! Oh, and hoping to get my fix, eh, my Famicom fixed I mean. ;)

mrtselevel

Hello,

I'm MrTselevel, I live in Los Angeles, CA.  I am pretty much a Nintendo fan since the days of game & watch but I havent really played much video games since after the gamecube era

I was always very fond of the famicom as a kid. My dads coworkers kid once lent me Ninja Gaiden 3 for the famicom way before its USA releas in which I had to use a Honeybee cartridge convertor to work with my NES.  Another friend of mine had a very large famicom library that I was quite fond of, but he lost it when his family had to move multiple times.

All this time I have been enamored with the all aspects of the famicom, the looks of the system, the different games from the usa, and how the carts were all different colors and sizes.  2 years ago I took the plunge a got a av modded famicom on ebay.

I was really happy with the purchase despite the lack of games I had.  I figured I would take a vacation to Japan someday and actually build up some sort of library instead of buying so many games on ebay.

I had the chance to go to Japan last month and returned with many cartridges in hand.  I was really excited about coming home and trying all these new carts unitl you guess it  :bomb: the famicom stopped working.  Thats where I am today. I'll post in the help thread and see if its possible to bring this thing back to life.

pic-mirandole

Hi everyone,

first of all, I'd like to wish you a happy new year 2015 with full of (good) things (I let you fill in what you want in these things  :) ).
I'm currently living in France (very close from Paris) and I'm fond of video games.
As many members, this passion came from my teenager's period. I started with videogames on computer (Amstrad, Atari and then Commodore Amiga) before embracing the dark side (similarly to the Sith for Star Wars fans) with consoles. I have to admit that I took part (with my friends in college) with the debate in early 90: computer vs console  :-X
where we tried (at this period) to compare games per hardware on different categories: platform, beat'em all, shoot'em up, role-playing game, adventure, sport...

I was really allergic to what we called PC as alternative to Atari (520, 1040 STF, STE) or Commodore Amiga (500, 1200) (I got my first PC only in 2005 for my PhD studies...
(this  war PC vs Amiga/Atari was also memorable).

I was not fan of Nes/Famicom system because of a reluctance to the Nintendo protectionist policy (compared to Sega where several hits were released on various systems). At this period, I wasn't aware that Sega was more involved in arcade games which explains why they were easy going for releasing a conversion over home console systems.

I remember the games which make me moving from Amstrad to Atari: Ivanhoe, The Newzealand Story (I played a lot on Arcade) and North & South
                                                                                               Atari        to Amiga: R-Type (because the Atari version music was really awful, hugely difficult because of not optimized   
                                                                                                                                 collision mask
                                                                                               Amiga     to Sfc: Fatal Fury Special, Street Fighter 2, Turbo
                                                                                                Amiga    to Pc Engine: Legend Hero Tonma, Senshi Spriggan, Dragon Ball Z

In the meanwhile, I really felt in love with handheld console such as game-gear (especially thanks to castle of Illusion but also Awonder boy III release as well as GG-aleste 1 & 2, Fatal Fury special and Samurai Shodown), sega Nomad (playing Yu Yu Hakusho Makyoto Issen with multi-tap - not convenient, I acknowledge - and Pc engine GT (before discovering Pc engine LT on 1999) playing Gunhed (I now understand why people prefer this shoot'em up to Super Star Soldier).

I knew famicom/nes 8bit but I wasn't happy to see how expensive the games were and how protectionnist Nintendo was with respect of its action against "clones" on computers such as Great Giana Sisters (for those who don't know, this link could help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vWUzQiQUY0 ). I think I had the sould of people intended to "share" (maybe due to the fact that for computer fans, games were "disk duplicates" even if I bought some original games: Toki, Shadow Dancer - I'm huge fan of arcade coin's up especially Shinobi 1, Double Dragon, Operation Wolf, Dragon ninja, Newzeland Story, R-Type, Willow, Final Fight, Gang Wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYh41KUnaY

I loved the famicom games later (compared to early consoles in 1992) when I discovered in 1999 the famicom clone handheld GameAxe! My collection started from Captain Tsubasa & & 2 (I love the anime which was broadcasted in France manytimes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEDe2jWS3O4&list=PLAzo_S-1qqn0a72fPsz5Nsebjp_X9W0Bk ). My "inheritated habits" from other systems made me collecting interests for platforms like Rainbow Islands, Newzeland Story in Eur/US/Jap depending on their availability (for example: Newzealand Story was never released in Japan) but specific games which were dedicated to famicom (Super Mario Bros 1 even if I have to admit my preference to 2 and 3 because of the non linear approach of the game).

I discovered later hidden good famicom games (compared to sfc, MD or pc engine hucard & cd  I know better) and I have to recognize that I globally love this system because of the huge list of very good action (platform & shoot'em up) games. I had this siilar feeling with Sega MD and pc engine where a significant number of games are "basically" very good. I was deeply pleased to see it was possible to close the capability of a Super Star Solder shooting game on famicom with blade Buster -with similar music for stage 1 if you notice it (not the same level but the same spirit and the same music):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WtX91vzPAo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtqqFhbGjJ0

If I have to finish my presentation of myself, I would say that I love to ask questions on videogames so that I increase my knowledge and I discover more and more unknown (unreleased or released) and make my interest for these retro systems "still" alive here is a top 10 list of famicom games I love:

Summer Carnival Recca
Super Mario World (hack)
Kage
Gunnac
Super Mario Adventure (hack Super Mario 3)
Turtles: the Arcade Game
Akumaju Densetsu
Super Robot Taisen 2
Zelda 1
Gradius 2: Arcade (hack of Gradius 2)

lwizardl

Hello everybody!

I'm James, 34 year old gamer and collector from Michigan. Just got a famicom converter so I can play on my NES. Bought the famicom convert with 4 pirate game carts for $27 shipped.

Before that I bought Family Circuit 91 in a lot with a bunch of japanese xbox, gameboy, gba games.

Onxythecat

Hi everyone, coming over from the Racketboy forums.  I recently got some Famicom games, multi carts and a power joy which doesn't work unfortunately.  Hopfully I can get some insight on the multicarts since I currently have no way to test them.  Thanks!

Retrospectives

Hello there. I am a Japanese Famicom enthusiast (collector and vendor) that are looking for similar minded people. Right now i am living with my wife in Shenzen China, and i gotta say that the second hand markets are really something to look into, although I think that Taiwan was the best place I ever went to when it comes to second hand shopping of Famicom stuff (except Japan of course).

Anyway, i hope that you accept me and my bad English for what I am and for what it is. Have a nice day everybody!!!

Dalmore

Hello everybody!  ;D

I´m Jorge,  i live in Málaga (Spain), i´m a Nintendo fan and recently i bought my first Famicom with Disk System. ( FDS have few problems, don´t work  :'( )

Regards!  :D

DABYX

Hey all,

Recently bought an rf famicom. Wanted one for a few years and currently have binary land.

Loving it so far :)

My gaming preferences vary. I enjoy c64, snes, gamecube, handhelds, PC and 360.

Bit of a cheapskate tho so will never pay too much for a game, which makes some out of my reach (fire emblems I'm looking at you!)

Anyway, enjoyed browsing for a couple of weeks, great site.

Cheers,

DABYX

fcgamer

Quote from: Retrospectives on January 30, 2015, 08:46:21 am
Hello there. I am a Japanese Famicom enthusiast (collector and vendor) that are looking for similar minded people. Right now i am living with my wife in Shenzen China, and i gotta say that the second hand markets are really something to look into, although I think that Taiwan was the best place I ever went to when it comes to second hand shopping of Famicom stuff (except Japan of course).

Anyway, i hope that you accept me and my bad English for what I am and for what it is. Have a nice day everybody!!!

Second hand shopping in Taiwan for retro games is dead.  It was dead for awhile, but just over the past three years it became even deader.  I went out the other night and I discovered the old game shop was turned into a bakery recently...not that they had anything worth getting anymore anyway.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

HVC-Man

Hello Famicom World! I don't know why I didn't join sooner, been into Famicom since 2013. Maybe I don't like joining up on new forums all the time.

Here's hoping to a very nice stay here on FC World. I've got my FC and AV FC ready to go.  ;D

P

Welcome to Famicom World!
Yeah I don't like to have hundreds of forum accounts either, but this forum is very nice so I joined and stayed! :)

ultrageranium

Hello,

I was offered a Famicom a year ago and a few carts. Although I can't say I was ever interested in the NES when I was younger, the form factor of the FC and its colourful carts attracted me to the point where I wanted to know more about the platform. I bought an N8 and tried a couple of games. I was surprised to find lots of amazing titles and a very active community of players, developers, collectors.

I now have an AV Famicom that I'm planning to RGB mod, and I am considering buying some affordable titles that I would like as cart and not just a file on a flashcart.

That's it :)

petsematary

Hi Famicom World.

I am a long-time Famicom collector (though I took a break for some years) and also collect arcade PCBs. Not sure what all I can contribute, but here we go!