March 28, 2024, 10:11:04 am

Finds (NES)

Started by JC, August 26, 2006, 12:13:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghegs

@Nightstar699: I can understand all the other games I see there, but what's the deal with Kabuki Quantum Fighter? The only difference to Jigoku Gokuraku Maru that I know of (other than the language) is that in Kabuki there's the two-frame animation of the main guy in the post-credits sound test.

I've got a handful of NES games I want to get, for the same reasons you have those. In fact, some of those games are the ones I want to get.

Nightstar699

The reason I still have Kabuki Quantum Fighter is how different the artstyle in cutscenes is from Jigoku Gokuraku Maru. I honestly prefer the more anime-style drawings in KQF as opposed to the more realistic ones in JGM. (Also, there's a couple other very minor coloring differences between the 2 games, such as in the 1-Up icons and the 5th boss)

I'm guessing Darkwing Duck is on your list? I'll admit that someday I may re-buy CIB copies of the loose NES carts you see here, but that won't be for a while, after my FC collection is finished.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

Those are all solid choices, Nightstar... except that Karate Kid. I never cared for that one.

Also, @ Yelir

Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros 2 are awesome games to get for free. Congratulations.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Nightstar699

Thank you Jackson. I like Karate Kid for a couple reasons:

1. It always felt like a spiritual successor to Spartan X to me

2. I really like the movie.

Mainly the first reason though, but I admit it isn't for everyone.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Ghegs

Oh, I didn't know the cutscenes have a different art style between versions. A bit like Black Manta/Saizou, then.

Quote from: Nightstar699 on April 20, 2015, 12:45:41 pm
I'm guessing Darkwing Duck is on your list? I'll admit that someday I may re-buy CIB copies of the loose NES carts you see here, but that won't be for a while, after my FC collection is finished.

Darkwing Duck is one, the two GI Joe games are others...Power Blade is a solid maybe. Already have Kick Master.

Nightstar699

Hm, what makes you put Power Blade in the "maybe" category? I think of it as being probably the best NES-only release, apart from maybe the first G.I. Joe.

L___E___T

Better than Flintstones 2?  I dunno, I wouldn't really put Power Blade in the NES only list to be honest, I know it's an improvement on Power Blazer but yeah, it's an addendum in my eyes.

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Nightstar699

Yeah, Flintstones 2 is great (makes very creative use of the difference in Fred's and Barney's abilities), but man are Power Blade and G.I. Joe two of the most kick ass games I've ever had the pleasure of popping into my NES. KickMaster is great too. G.I. Joe: Atlantis Factor is okay... feels like a huge downgrade from the first G.I. Joe, but retains the impressive amount of great boss battles from the first game.

Quote from: L___E___T on April 21, 2015, 09:44:24 am
I dunno, I wouldn't really put Power Blade in the NES only list to be honest, I know it's an improvement on Power Blazer but yeah, it's an addendum in my eyes

Gotta disagree here, as someone who owns and has beaten both (dozens of times for Power Blade, once for Blazer) they're entirely different games. It isn't just Power Blazer with a different character sprite, the stages are completely and 100% different, the only things that are kept from Power Blazer is the music, and a bit of the graphics. Besides that they're two separate games, it'd be like saying SMB2J is the same game as the original SMB... in fact, even those are more similar to each other than Blade is to Blazer.

...Man, writing this makes me want to give Power Blazer another shot considering I never popped it in again after beating it once. It's not a particularly pleasant game, though I remember the ending graphics being really cool.

Ghegs

Quote from: Nightstar699 on April 21, 2015, 06:52:32 am
Hm, what makes you put Power Blade in the "maybe" category? I think of it as being probably the best NES-only release, apart from maybe the first G.I. Joe.

I don't know, Power Blade just hasn't really come across as a must-have for some reason.

L___E___T

I think it's the goofy way he runs :)

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

egg_sanwich

I haven't been collecting a lot of NES lately, but a friend offered me a trade I couldn't refuse. Added a couple gems to the collection  ;D

L___E___T

Nice!  What's a loose Snow Brothers worth these days?
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

egg_sanwich

Thanks! The going rate seems to be around $200 for a loose cart these days.

I honestly never planned on picking it up, I just happened to have a lot of stuff laying around that a friend was interested in. I played it a lot as a kid, so really excited to finally own a copy.

nerdynebraskan

Congrats on the Snow Brothers. That's a hard one to score, especially in a trade. That Contra Force isn't too shabby, either.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Zycrow

This is sort of a reverse-find, but it blew my mind when I saw what MetalStorm goes for these days. I bought my copy at a Rhino Games about 10 years ago and probably paid 20 bucks for it.

What's the deal? Is it really that rare? Should we blame the Happy Video Game Nerd?
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18