March 28, 2024, 02:47:28 pm

Finds (NES)

Started by JC, August 26, 2006, 12:13:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Protoman

MetalStorm on a pirate cart

The picture on ebay was of a black cart but I got an orange one. Daaaaamn yoooooou seller! Oh well this cart shall instead stand next to my pirate of little samson.

nerdynebraskan

I came home from my second job at the game store the other day with a MINTY box and manual for Contra Force. I am pleased.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Arasoi

Been doing some trading lately, locally.

Shumi Nagaremono

I picked up the Famicom Complete Guide this afternoon. 

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%83%9F%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%97%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%83%89-%E5%B1%B1%E5%B4%8E-%E5%8A%9F/dp/4074176394/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480142698&sr=1-1&keywords=famicom

It's great!  A quick write up of all 1,252 FC/FDS games along with screenshots and pictures of the cartridge and box art. 

The only strike against it is that it's a pretty small-sized book.  If it were presented in a larger format, it'd be perfect. 

DDCecil

Traded a bunch of random crap for Wizards and Warriors III and Barker Bill's Trick Shooting, the guy also had the 4 Dragon Warriors, SNES Earthbound, and more all at eBay prices.
Also he had a Caltron 6 in 1! I forgot to ask him how much it was since he was busy, but I'm guessing a a lot.

Ghegs

December 20, 2016, 09:50:49 am #755 Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:59:32 am by Ghegs

A music cart with covers of famous NES tunes, only all the songs are played with real instruments. The cart has some serious hardware inside it. If there's anything to complain about, is that it feels short with only ~20 minutes of playtime. But apparently the guy is making a sequel, so that's good. Custom chips like this really would've extended the console's life. Ah, what could've been.

Works great on my AV Famicom with an adapter.

UglyJoe

Quote from: Ghegs on December 20, 2016, 09:50:49 am
Custom chips like this really would've extended the console's life. Ah, what could've been.

Is there an article going over the hardware used?  When I heard about this, I assumed it just had a whole lot of ROM to hold the sampled data.  The NES is capable of playing samples as-is, but in order to keep a constant stream of audio (like a song instead of just a sound effect) going, it takes up almost all of the CPU cycles.  There's a rick-roll demo ROM that uses this technique to do it and it runs on flash carts with no additional chips (I saw an interview with the musician and he actually references this demo).

Anyway, neat find!

Ghegs

I actually have that Rick Roll on a real cart. I got it from a guy who has done lots of gaming hardware-related custom jobs for me, he even wrote "Gradius III proto" on the cart :D

I'm guessing you saw the musician's interview with Metal Jesus? That's the best explanation of the hardware I've found, and even that's pretty short. Maybe there's something on Nintendoage.

P

He only says it's custom hardware and a 64 MB ROM.

I think the Delta Modulation Channel in the Famicom can't do CD quality audio due to the format of the samples doesn't allow big enough resolution? The rick-roll demo sounds much better than all samples in any Famicom game I remember though (including games that pauses to use all CPU cycles for the sample loading).

I assumed they made something like the MSU-1 for SFC that can stream large PCM files. In the youtube clip with Metal Jesus Rocks you can see that the board has a chip called Xilinx XC9572XL, that's a programmable logic chip (like what modern flashcarts use to be able to replicate various hardware).

QuoteCustom chips like this really would've extended the console's life. Ah, what could've been.

Yeah although I don't think this kind of hardware would have been feasable back then.

GreenKoopa

Ghegs

I've been out of buying any more NES/FC games for quite a while, but I ended up bringing two new members to the collection this month. I already had the FC Battletoads, but I wanted to get the NES one as well since it's quite a bit more difficult and is of course "the legendarily hard NES game".

..or that's what they say, but I haven't found it terribly difficult yet, more like "intentionally made harder so that kids renting the game don't beat it on the first go, forcing them to rent it again and again". Lots of memorization and figuring out where the cheap parts are and how to deal with them. But that's on par with Rare of the time, they've admitted making their games more difficult just for increased profit.

Battletoads & Double Dragon is just pretty damn cool all around. Shame it didn't get a Famicom release, but understandable since when it was released in 1993 the Super Famicom was already almost three years old. Rather amazing it even got a NES release, really.

P

Just wait until you come to the rat race, or the unicycle race. Basically any race level requires lots of memorizations and super quick reflexes. It's definitely one of the hardest games on Famicom/NES.

Yeah Battletoads and Double Dragon is really cool. It has a Game Boy version and a SNES version as well. A bit strange though that it has no Japanese release, despite the Lee brothers staring in the game.

jpx72

Any Rockman fans around?
This cart from Aliexpress is a great collection and has pretty up-to-date hacks alltogether with correctly working Rockman 1 and 2, unlike the older Rockman7in1 compilations, that used flawed MMC1->MMC3 conversions with garbled sound.
Really top notch cartridge, standard aliexpress quality, but awesome nonetheless:
http://s.aliexpress.com/JrqUv6jI

P

Isn't that one of those boards that's said to not handle 3.3 V to 5 V translation properly and may damage your Famicom?

jpx72

November 26, 2017, 08:03:35 am #764 Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:32:55 am by jpx72
Quote from: P on November 26, 2017, 05:38:39 am
Isn't that one of those boards that's said to not handle 3.3 V to 5 V translation properly and may damage your Famicom?

I don't know! But I need to know, and how to fix it if possible, I just got this cart and I don't want to do damage.
https://imgur.com/a/NManR
https://imgur.com/a/9Jg76