Worst things that happened to your computers.

Started by KEVMAN569, May 10, 2008, 04:42:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FamicomFreak

wow what a story....at least the problem got solved in the end. I got hit by that virus too back in the day. it wiped out my entire hard drive as well but it was time for me to move on and I just bought a new one and gave the other one away. Now that I know a lot more about computers I make sure they are all protected but eventually my sister will visit me bringing her laptop full of problems for me to fix again and again and again....oh well
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

manuel

That sounds really terrible.
Thank god I never had any problems with viruses yet. *knocks on wood*

TheSSNintendo

I remember sometime last year, my brother installed a different video card in my PC, and a few days later, my computer turned off on me. I thought it was weird, so I restarted it and it worked fine. A few days later, same thing happened again, except this time it wouldn't turn on. Turns out my power supply went dead, and we had a friend fix it for me.

MaxXimus

This reminds me of something that happened to my brother. He installed a new audio card and after that his computrer has been randomly freezing and giving the blue screen of death (in winxp) He knows what he is doing. He's a computer techniscian.

Anyways another story, and I wish I remembered the name of the group, but periodicly we'd get text documents on our desktop (back in the day of win98) that told us specific things that a group of hackers had been doing to our computer. This was back before we knew simple ways to prevent attacks.

133MHz

Quote from: MaxXimus on May 16, 2008, 06:38:17 am
periodicly we'd get text documents on our desktop (back in the day of win98) that told us specific things that a group of hackers had been doing to our computer.

OMG that's awesome! :o Windows 98 had the tendency to leave the machine completely open to every network connection (all protocols enabled by default, it assumed everything was an internal LAN), in essence sharing your whole PC with the world if you had an Internet connection. I knew that back on the days of dialup and used to browse people's shared hard drives and stuff, just by browsing IPs in my ISP's assigned range.

MaxXimus

It wasn't awesome at the time. They'd disable administration features. Remove the start button, change and uninstal languages, and other weird stuff like that. They were a pain in my rear, haha. :P

UglyJoe

Quote from: MaxXimus on May 16, 2008, 09:09:36 am
Remove the start button

Haha, I remember doing that to any school computer I could get access to.  Windows 95 was so so buggy...