Famicom AV Modification / Mod

Started by silkd, September 08, 2006, 07:42:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

silkd

Just wondering where is a good place to order all the parts required?  Also, as far as the amplifer, would a 2n3702 work, or is the 2n3704 required?  Please let me know about a reliable place to order those from.  Thanks for the tutorial!

Doc

eBay may be an okay source, but you always have the chance of getting a lemon...

JC

We'll have to track down kefka or michaelthegreat, who are good sources on this kind of stuff.

sukoshi

Quote from: JC on September 09, 2006, 11:19:09 am
We'll have to track down kefka or michaelthegreat, who are good sources on this kind of stuff.

for my own mods, i use :

two  22KΩ resistor

One 2SC1815 transistor

1 0.47μF condensor

Hope this helps.

silkd

I've seen those listed as parts too at another site, is there any major difference between the 2 (2N3704 and 2SC1815)?  On the site here it lists a 47µf cap, a 0.47µf is used with the 2SC1815?  Thanks.

sukoshi

Quote from: silkd on September 10, 2006, 07:59:41 pm
I've seen those listed as parts too at another site, is there any major difference between the 2 (2N3704 and 2SC1815)?  On the site here it lists a 47µf cap, a 0.47µf is used with the 2SC1815?  Thanks.

The fact is that the code for transistor depends on region. US codes aren't the same as European one.
What i really can tell is that i only use 0.47µf condensor.

super56k

I hate to bump and old topic, but I figure it is better than creating a new one on the same general subject.

So, I built the AV board as outlined in Kefka's tutorial.  I think that it looks pretty good.

But when I opened up my FAMICOM....

The board was different than the one in the tutorial. ???

So, my question is.  Has anyone done the AV mod on this board?  Because I have no idea where to solder the mod.  Though I find it interesting that there is a contact labled "VIDEO".
I am currently working on a homepage...  details to follow.

Doc

Quote from: super56k on September 19, 2006, 08:46:06 pm
I hate to bump and old topic

Actually I like when people bump old topics. :)

But yeah, that's why I don't try that stuff, lol.

super56k

Surely somebody has done the AV mod on more than just one type of FAMICOM....  If there where a board revision number or some other form of identification besides this photograph, that might make it easier.

silkd

Well I finally got around to trying the mod and I have used 2 different mods 1 using a 2N3704 and one using the C1815 listed in a different mod.  In both cases I had to use a 47uf cap as the .47 cap just caused the screen to roll.  In both cases I still had white lines going through the screen and the screen appeared very bright.  Is there any way to eliminate the white lines and added brightness?  As to the question of different famicom boards I only know of the 2 that have been discussed here, one with (Video) labeled and the one listed in the tutorial here.  Anyways, if anyone has an answer to the brightness/white lines problem, let me know.  Thanks.

super56k

Quote from: silkd on September 23, 2006, 06:25:12 pm
n both cases I had to use a 47uf cap as the .47 cap just caused the screen to roll.  In both cases I still had white lines going through the screen and the screen appeared very bright.  Is there any way to eliminate the white lines and added brightness? 

What is the broadcasting standard of the television that you are trying to use?  Is it NTSC or PAL?

Quote from: silkd on September 23, 2006, 06:25:12 pm
As to the question of different famicom boards I only know of the 2 that have been discussed here, one with (Video) labeled and the one listed in the tutorial here.

Do you have any links to mods involving the FAMICOM board with the "Video" contact?

silkd

I'm using a NTSC television.  I noticed my famicom does not have any shielding on the underside of the rf board (bought it used years ago, no telling what they did to it) I am going to try to find something the shield it with....I'm wrap that mofo with foil if I have to :) j/k

As far as a link for the board with the video contact here you go:
http://www.h3.dion.ne.jp/~kuboken/famicom/famav.html
It's in japanese, but should be easy enough to understand.

super56k

Quote from: silkd on September 23, 2006, 07:47:38 pm
I'm using a NTSC television.  I noticed my famicom does not have any shielding on the underside of the rf board (bought it used years ago, no telling what they did to it) I am going to try to find something the shield it with....I'm wrap that mofo with foil if I have to :) j/k

Ah, your RF board also lacks shielding.  So does mine.  This seems to be the case for all models that have the "video" contact, as does the FAMICOM in the pictures on that site you linked to.  The lack of shield does not affect me in any way.  As the RF comes in crystal clear.  You should not be getting any interfearence through the AV mod, as the RF board is only for the RF out.

Quote from: silkd on September 23, 2006, 07:47:38 pm
As far as a link for the board with the video contact here you go:
http://www.h3.dion.ne.jp/~kuboken/famicom/famav.html
It's in japanese, but should be easy enough to understand.

Oh my confuzzuledness!  I just made Kefka's board for nothing.  Or maybe I can adapt it to this design.  My eyes are going blind staring at these tiny photos.  Thank's for the link though.  I will try and figure this out...  Do you also have the same board as mine?  The one with "video" marked?

silkd

Nah, I have the board in kefka's diagram.  I know there shouldn't be anything wrong with the av mod, but it is bright and shares the same white lines with the rf out.....I am in the process of getting another famicom now to test out for better luck hopefully.....

super56k

Quote from: silkd on September 23, 2006, 09:41:58 pm
Nah, I have the board in kefka's diagram.  I know there shouldn't be anything wrong with the av mod, but it is bright and shares the same white lines with the rf out.....I am in the process of getting another famicom now to test out for better luck hopefully.....

That is so strange.  It would be interesting to see a picture of these "white lines".  On an unrelated note, how hot does your FAMICOM get?  Mine gets so warm, that it is uncomfortable to hold your fingers on the rear vent.  Also, it gives off a similar smell to soldering.  This is after only a few minuets.  I would say under 15min.