Want to know how to dump and write FDS disks?

Started by JC, August 18, 2008, 09:47:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kirayamato

gundam 4 ever !!!

nintendodork

There's an article for the FDSLoadr tutorial.  You need one of those before you can rewrite disks, so go read that. :P
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

ericj

November 04, 2009, 06:17:04 pm #47 Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:05:55 pm by ericj
I guess this is an appropriate place to ask about this.

I was going through my pirate disks with my Game Doctor and ran across another copy program that I haven't seen anyone mention. It's called Disk Raider. The text on the title screen is the same as Disk Keeper, but the background is black and the letters are red. It only works through the Game Doctor, unlike Disk Keeper, but functions the same way and is in English. Anyone heard of it before?

Edit: Pic added. Screen says:

VENUS 1997
V3.0 BY JIM FOK

famiac

Lucky....  :-\. You always get the cool pirate disks!

ericj

Just found another copy program that works like Disk Keeper, but only through a Game Doctor, called NTSC Master. Here's a screenshot (Sorry for the blurry pic). I'm guessing there are more copy programs like this out there with different names.

JC

Can you tell if they do anything different from one to the next, or are they just title screen hacks of the same program?

ericj

November 08, 2009, 02:25:35 pm #51 Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 02:31:11 pm by ericj
There has to be something different about them because if one of the disks can't copy a game, usually one of the other programs can. The title screen and prompts are worded differently between all of them. I'm guessing they're just hacks of Disk Keeper, but since NTSC Master, Disk Raider, and Copymaster only work with a Game Doctor, I'm not sure. Disk Keeper works fine without a GD and equally well with one, with the resulting copies working fine on a regular FDS.

For some reason, I've noticed that Super Pig games can't be copied with any of them. I'm guessing that they have some kind of protection, since they give a code of ERR.FF when trying to copy with Disk Keeper, and just endlessly try to read the disk with the other copy programs. Weird.

nintendodork

I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

ericj

FDSLoadr. It was a pain in the ass that way, too. No more Super Pig game requests for me.

nintendodork

maverick

i dump my disk using fdsloadr software using fds-drive cable.

writing my own disk-

i use a modified copy master disk, my turbo game doctor, and a half modded fds drive. if i want to copy disk to disk. first i put in copy master. ask for source. insert game i wanna copy. ask for object (blank) throw in blank. done.

if i wanna copy an image to disk- hook up turbo game doctor, fc, fds, load up copy master. ask for source. eject disk from fds. unplug ram adaptor from back of fds drive. load up fdsloadr software on pc with image i wanna write. press escape. hook up db25 end fom parallel port to ram adaptor end that plugs into back of fds. hold right arrow til command comes all way on screen. press enter. image loads up in ram adaptor/ copy master. ask for object. unhook pc cable from ram adaptor. insert blank disk in fds drive. plug ram adaptor end back into fds drive.   done.

thats how i do it. sure alot of people do it bascally the same way. works good too. can write any image to disk this way.

can dump/write anything for anybody. no charge! just need image/ disk. if no disk would do it for images i dont have.

ericj

You probably shouldn't rewrite disks for other people with a half-modded drive. Odds are, they will have trouble reading them. They will work fine in your drive since your drive is the same one that wrote them.

maverick

have more than one drive. each drive is different speed. never had a problem reading my disk on anyone of my drives!

ericj

A tutorial would be nice. I'd be willing to help revise it if someone wants to make a draft. Otherwise, it's all been explained on the forums here in bits & pieces.  ;)