Rockman 7 FC

Started by chiruno, September 13, 2008, 09:53:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chiruno

After doing a quick search I didn't see a topic on this yet, so I might as well.
This has been around for quite a while, and they're currently working on Rockman 8 FC.

It's a port of Rockman 7 (the SNES game) to 8-bit, famicom-style. It's not an actual famicom game though, but I think they still did a pretty awesome job on it, I personally find it to be very impressive.

It's made by 2ch's /gamedev/.

Rockman 7 FC site:
http://www12.atwiki.jp/rockman7/

Rockman 7 FC download:
http://www7.atwiki.jp/wakuwakusuru/pages/13.html

^There's apparently also a level editor for it, however I couldn't figure it out. Doesn't really matter, though.

Rockman 8 FC site:
http://www31.atwiki.jp/rockman8/

Mo

SICK!! I like it, if only it went onto cartridge  ;D.
Plant you, feed you, grow you like a flower, like NINTENDO now you're playing with power!!

JC

That's pretty cool. There are some "Rockman 7" pirates available, but when you boot 'em up, they're just Rockman 6. :P

Paul-FC

AWESOME!
man i just love shademans theme 8-bit!

satoshi_matrix

This ROCKS. Too bad it's not a Famicom rom though. I want to play this on my tv! According to what 133Mhz tells me though, this game surpasses what the Famicom could do, so porting to to the Famicom would be impossible.

On a side note, 133Mhz recommened me a program that converts joypad imputs to keyboard inputs, thus making it theoretically compatible with this game. Its called JoyToKey. I tried it with an NES to USB adaptor, and I can get the A and B buttons to work, but nothing else. If anyone has any help/suggestions, that would be great.

Ghegs

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on September 15, 2008, 11:36:04 pmOn a side note, 133Mhz recommened me a program that converts joypad imputs to keyboard inputs, thus making it theoretically compatible with this game. Its called JoyToKey. I tried it with an NES to USB adaptor, and I can get the A and B buttons to work, but nothing else. If anyone has any help/suggestions, that would be great.

Try Xpadder instead, I find it to be the better choice between the two.

AliasXBeoulve

I've never tried Xpadder, simply because JoyToKey works for everything already. :D

b1aCkDeA7h

There's a lot of mods for it too.

Xious

December 24, 2010, 05:06:04 pm #8 Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 04:49:00 am by Xious
Quote from: satoshi_matrix on September 15, 2008, 11:36:04 pm
On a side note, 133Mhz recommened me a program that converts joypad imputs to keyboard inputs, thus making it theoretically compatible with this game. Its called JoyToKey. I tried it with an NES to USB adaptor, and I can get the A and B buttons to work, but nothing else. If anyone has any help/suggestions, that would be great.

Hmm... What purpose is there in doing this? That is, why do you want to convert joypad signals into keyboard signals? Are you trying to make a USB->NES Controller adapter using this method?

That's doable, but a bit dirty. I made an arcade panel for a MAME'r once that way, but that's because of all the requisite signals required that are mapped to the KB. I'm actually considering modding my spare PC10 joystick panel for NES & FC use, after I made a tabletop cabinet to support it.

Or, maybe I'll RGB mod a system and make an upright with it. Who knows. ... I have one or two RGB PPUs left for that sort of project, and I want to do it eventually, but I need to  find the time to actually do the cabinet. Heck, I need to find the time to set up and repaid my dedicated machines... Oh well...

satoshi_matrix

Er, no. Rockman  7 FC only supports keyboard inputs, not any gamepads. JoyToKey re-routes keyboard inputs to gamepad inputs, meaning that Rockman 7 FC can be played without having to just use a conventional keyboard, which has never been a good control method for platformers of any sort.

Xious

Oh... That's kind'a crummy. I thought RM7-FC was a SNES ROM hack, not something you had to run independently; I wonder why they went that route, and moreso, why they don't support standard USB inputs devices.

I used to have this module that snapped on top of arrow keys to convert them into a joystick, but that wasn't much better. If you want to wire a joypad for this, and the game only needs A+B, start with a genesis controller, as each signal is already isolated and you need only make a DB9 adapter for it.

Using this method, you'll only need wire seven connections; if the game calls for X/Y/R/L, then it's more convoluted: You will have to isolate the signals from the 4021P chips, then wire them into a new cable, and wire that to the KB. Not a lot of fun there, but doable nonetheless.