Does the Zapper work on an AV Famicom?

Started by Squidburger, March 15, 2009, 03:13:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidburger

Can't seem to get an american zapper to work on my AV Famicom.  Is this normal for the AV Famicom or did I just get one that hates Zappers?  I hope I don't have to shell out the $$$ for a japanese light gun :(

nintendodork

No it doesn't.  It will work on NES games that are used in the A/V Famicom, but for Famicom games, you need the Famicom light gun, since that's what the games look for.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

133MHz

Quote from: nintendodork on March 15, 2009, 03:15:41 pm
It will work on NES games that are used in the A/V Famicom

Not even that. The Zapper won't work in an AV Famicom no matter what game it is since the D3 and D4 lines aren't carried to the 2nd NES-type controller port.

Now, if you can solder two wires, you can carry those lines back and have a fully functional Zapper in your AV Famicom ;).

ericj

Quote from: nintendodork on March 15, 2009, 03:15:41 pm
No it doesn't.  It will work on NES games that are used in the A/V Famicom, but for Famicom games, you need the Famicom light gun, since that's what the games look for.

I don't think that's an accurate statement. I've played Famicom zapper games in my NES with a converter and have seen modded connectors on NES zappers that plug into the Famicom's port.

jimhmphry

you have a pic 133 ;) i have a av coming in this week

Squidburger

Good to know.  That sounds like a much more attractive option than dropping seventy or eighty bucks on a Famicom gun, thanks.

Not even that. The Zapper won't work in an AV Famicom no matter what game it is since the D3 and D4 lines aren't carried to the 2nd NES-type controller port.

Now, if you can solder two wires, you can carry those lines back and have a fully functional Zapper in your AV Famicom ;).

satoshi_matrix

Yeah. In fact, 133Mhz did this to my AV Fami, and it works flawlessly. Seriously. AV Famicom = best version of Nintendo's 8-bit console bar none.

Drakon

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on March 16, 2009, 05:11:21 pm
Yeah. In fact, 133Mhz did this to my AV Fami, and it works flawlessly. Seriously. AV Famicom = best version of Nintendo's 8-bit console bar none.

yep.  Too bad they aren't cheap

133MHz

Why is your TV mounted vertically? Do you play Arcade PCBs on it?

Drakon

Quote from: 133MHz on March 18, 2009, 07:21:14 pm
Why is your TV mounted vertically? Do you play Arcade PCBs on it?

yes.  I own ketsui the pcb and I'm borrowing a raiden dx pcb

turbo D

I know a lot of pc engine shooters offer tate mode. However, tate mode is often hidden and only unlockable with a code.
FC HVC-001 HC4593710 CPU-GPM-02 1989
FDS HVC-022 D1072158 FD7201P 6602 + new belt!
My FF setup!

Drakon

Quote from: turbo D on March 19, 2009, 09:20:19 pm
I know a lot of pc engine shooters offer tate mode. However, tate mode is often hidden and only unlockable with a code.

yeah well I'm playing arcade pcbs here.  They're meant to be in a dedicated cabinet with the screen set vertically.  So basically they leave me with no other option but to flip my TV on its side.

133MHz

Quote from: turbo D on March 19, 2009, 09:20:19 pm
However, tate mode is often hidden and only unlockable with a code.

Probably because it could make the game manufacturer liable for accidents (broken TVs / TV falling and crushing something or somebody).

FamicomFreak

Interesting question I always wondered that. Thanks for the info!
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

Agent X

Quote from: Drakon on March 18, 2009, 07:18:23 pm

I see you have the JPN "Super Metroid."  been thinking of picking this one up, I heard that like Ninja Warriors Again the JPN version has both Japanese and English language?  Is this true or someone's rumor that got spread like wild fire on the net.  If it's true I'm finally going to get around to experiencing this game.  It's 2009 and I've never played it, SNES version or otherwise.  I've beaten the one on NES, back in the day, and played part of the first GBA game, (forget the name)... didn't care for the 3-D ones, but everyone says Super Metroid was the summit of the series.  Owning a JPN SFC, I'd obviously like to purchase that one, but if it requires a certain amount of reading, then it be better to just buy the SNES version and plug it into the converter cart I have coming in.

Just thought I'd ask.
Gaming peaked in the 8-Bit & 16-Bit eras...
all else is just rehashes and insanity passing
itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X