WTB: A NES-to-Famicom controller converter

Started by nintendodork, June 10, 2009, 04:26:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nintendodork

I saw a guide for this awhile back on FW, but I don't have nearly enough patience or skill to do it myself.  If anyone has successfully made one of these before (or would like to make another one), and sell it.  I'd be happy to buy it for a fair price.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

133MHz

The problem is getting a long DB-15 connector that can reach the recessed pins on the Famicom's EXT port. Standard DB-15 plugs aren't long enough and won't reach. Somebody reported success using Neo-Geo controller extension cables, though.

L___E___T

Can't you just take the controllers apart and re-wire?  They have the same amount of buttons I'd have thought..
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nintendodork

I don't want to have to do that every time I want to use a NES controller.  I don't want it just to use NES controllers.  I want it so I can use the peripherals that go with the NES.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

L___E___T

the gun in particular?  most clones come with a NES gun that uses the EXT port. 
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nintendodork

Not just the gun.  It'd be a nice alternative to getting a few of the peripherals twice.  Such as the Power Pad, or the Advantage.

133MHz

I've built one last year for my Twinhead PC-100, it works with accessories too just like dork wants. It works electrically with a Famicom but not mechanically (the connector is not long enough to reach the Famicom's pins).

Schematic (replace Twinhead PC-100 by Family Computer):

My adapter in all its glory:

nintendodork

Did you try using a Neo Geo extension cable, or was that for something else to make it?

133MHz

I wasn't able to get a Neo Geo extension cable, otherwise I would have used it.

NintendoKing

June 13, 2009, 10:12:15 pm #9 Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:36:49 pm by The Uninvited Gremlin
My gosh that is the perfect adapter, I wish I had better soldering skills.

EDIT- I still really wish I had one of these even today so I can use a Zapper on my AV Famicom without doing the mod.

L___E___T

You fancy making any more of those 133MHz?!  :D
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nurd

It looks neat ;D

I just searched those extension cables. expensive  :o

133MHz

June 14, 2009, 02:46:19 pm #12 Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 03:10:32 pm by 133MHz
I could make more of those except for:

• They don't work on a Famicom with that connector (not long enough), unless I used a Neo-Geo extension cable (which I can't get).

• I don't have any more spare female NES plugs. I'd have to sacrifice more NES or clones for their plugs to get them.

In conclusion, I could make you a cable if you could send me a NeoGeo extension cable, one or two female NES controller plugs, and enough green paper to cover shipping and my troubles.

EDIT: Added some pictures to clear out any confusions:

MWK

I agree, a length of the connector plugs is mostly not enough indeed - could be an individual case tho - i succeeded with my NES-to-Famiclone (DB9) job :

It just barely connects the pins but fortunately works fine.

NintendoKing

June 14, 2009, 07:43:35 pm #14 Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:07:43 pm by The Uninvited Gremlin
I can supply a set of NES female plugs but I havent the slightest idea where to get a Neo Geo plug... so this project will never work for me.

Edit- Have you ever tried taking the standard from its shell, and cut the metal from the sides and then mold it? then just make a solid box with the port to port?
That would look nicer and maybe actually work,