Famicom Disks - Official releases vs Disk Writer games - what's the difference?

Started by featherplucknfilms, November 16, 2006, 03:47:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

featherplucknfilms

We were talking about this before and now I have some more insight on the games and manuals that were rewritten via the Disk Writer.  I have a game I'll list a little later on that is just how it would have come from the store after it was rewritten.  It also comes with an order form that was used to order rewritten games by mail, I'll post a picture of this when I can even though it's not much to look at but the information it has is interesting. 

So basically it cost 500 yen to rewrite a game, this included a manual with it which I assume to be the single paper foldout manuals you may have seen in some of my auctions.  For 100 yen extra you could get a regular manual.  It is strange though, on the form there are only two games that you could order and get the extra manual with it, Zelda and Nazo no Murasamejou.  The other games on the form are Baseball, Tennis, Golf, Soccer, Mah Jong, Super Mario Brothers, and Super Mario Brothers 2.  These ones you could not pay the extra 100 yen to get the extra manual.  I guess these games could only be bought complete with this manual and not when rewritten, but that's just a guess.  I wouldn't be so surprised on this if that list didn't include the two Mario games.  Anyone else know anything?

chimyfolkbutter

Feather,  do you see any used Diskwriters for sale in Japan?  I wonder how much it would cost and how much it cost to ship to the US?  ;)

featherplucknfilms

I wish, That's one thing I've always wanted to find and see but I can't find any!!!!  They must all be in a Nintendo Headquarters stockroom.   And it'll cost an arm and a leg to ship, it seems they weighed about 253 pounds!!

Doc

Whoa, nice! Looks like we need a feature on the disk writer soon...

That order form looks so unorganized to the ones in the NES hardware manuals.

RGB_Gamer

I know the official FDS games have the box with instructions, case, and disk labels, as well as cover art for the jewel case, but how do the Disk Writer games differ?

Thanks!

UglyJoe

Disk Writer games should be identical to the packaged FDS games.  The difference is that they were written to a disk at a Disk Writer kiosk instead of purchased in a store.  The kiosk would also give you labels, but that's it (I think).

JC

I think you had to send in an order form to get games written or get the foldout manuals and labels. With DW games, I don't think you got cover art or the hard or soft plastic cases.

EDIT: Merged the thread, so the form is above.

RGB_Gamer

Are the disk writer disks Nintendo brand or other brands? I have a whole mess of MITSUYA disks (they are blue) that look like blue NINTENDO brand disks - only difference is they say MITSUYA on the end of them as opposed to them saying NINTENDO. I don't know if  those were used with the Disk Writer since the games on them are official titles (I do have one of those disks with some weird Doki Doki Panic hack) or pirates.

When you went to rewrite your own disks at the Disk Writer station, did you overwrite NINTENDO brand disks, did you bring in your own of another brand, or did the person working the Disk Writer station supply blanks?

JC

Mitsuya are pirates. I've got a bunch. DW disks are like the retail disks.

You could get blanks or use Side B.

RGB_Gamer

Quote from: JC on August 21, 2009, 03:46:05 pm
Mitsuya are pirates. I've got a bunch. DW disks are like the retail disks.

You could get blanks or use Side B.

Sweet! thanks for the info. I don't suppose you have any disks you can spare? I like the Mitsuya disks a lot better than those crappy Mag Disks that i have.

For some strange reason, I cannot overwrite Nintendo brand disks with my MGD1 or FDSloadr

RGB_Gamer

I am in the process of cataloging all my original disks. How do I update the FDS Disk game ID's so that it shows up on the list?

L___E___T

Just wanted to add, that Nintendo did the same thing for the SNES with carts, if it's at all relevant.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

killa0039

So what games were DW exclusive?  I know I've seen release dates for FDS games like Donkey Kong, Pinball, Ice Climber and the like, were these DW games?

RGB_Gamer- I may have a few disks I can spare...they're pirated but they do work last time I checked.