Hardest Game You've Played?

Started by Nightstar699, November 12, 2009, 01:24:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fredJ

I also haven't been able to learn Luigi. I hate frustrating controls more than anything. Rather Mario, difficult as it may be.
I did beat it with Mario without warps, although I did use the 1up trick in the beginning and only had 7 lives left when i beat it. :) ( Blogged about that too, with videos http://japanspel.blogspot.se/2013/12/smb2-lost-levels-original-vs-all-stars.html )
I haven't beaten SMB yet on original hardware. SMB2j is so awesome that I love playing it. But I think one has the play an original version without save function, saves spoil the game experience.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

L___E___T

I beat SMB last night with Luigi, but didn't have time to beat it second time round.  Oddly, I did the whole thing really fast and developed a habit of running under enemies, turtles, hammer bros. and Koopa repeatedly.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nerdynebraskan

Fred, I must admit that I envy your ability to laugh off frustration. I do a lot of yelling at my TV while I'm playing something brutal. (It actually freaks the girlfriend out sometimes...)

I enjoyed your review of Ninja Crusaders from your blog. As for the two-player mode, I find it much easier that way (assuming you're both skilled, anyway). In two player games, you respawn at the point of death like in Contra. (As long as you're both still alive anyway; if one of you game-overs, it reverts to 1P rules.) I was able to power through the game in an hour this year with a partner, even though he'd never played the game before (but he's someone who's beaten the Battle Kid games). It's also nice to use a diversity of weapons; we played through the latter stages with me holding the katana (for massive damage, particularly against bosses) while he threw shurikens at the especially fast and erratic enemies.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

BonBon

July 15, 2014, 06:21:26 pm #48 Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:31:37 pm by Jay-ray
Holy diver is hands down the most ruthless, relentless, and unforgiving game I've ever played in my life and the hardest know on the famicom. The second to last room before the final boss with the wall faces is agonizing. When I finally got past the room this happened to me. http://youtu.be/lHqFCe8G-3E it was a devastating turn of events.

fredJ

wth is wrong with the video? jumping all around.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

VegaVegas

Quote from: Jay-ray on July 15, 2014, 06:21:26 pm
Holy diver is hands down the most ruthless, relentless, and unforgiving game I've ever played in my life and the hardest know on the famicom. The second to last room before the final boss with the wall faces is agonizing. When I finally got past the room this happened to me. http://youtu.be/lHqFCe8G-3E it was a devastating turn of events.

That's pretty weird effect, this didn't happen to me while playing this game also on my Famicom AV.

Fortunately I did manage to beat it and almost all of the games mentioned here: Wario's Woods, Ultimate Stuntman, Ghostbusters (JP version triggering that infinite money glitch though), Battletoads (after beating it over 50 times I just remember every detail and beat the entire game in 1 shot), Ghosts 'n Goblins, Silver Surfer & Dragon's Lair ;D

Bob-Bob

How exactly do you do the infinite money glitch in Ghostbusters anyway? Also, is it also true that the ghosts in the ZUUL building move slower in the Japanese version?

VegaVegas

Simply buy ghost alarm for 2000$ and sell it for 3000$ and keep repeating the best business in video gaming history as you like ;D

That's funny that programmers probably overlooked something like this

Ghegs

Quote from: Protoman on February 08, 2014, 02:58:32 am
Conta Shattered Soldier - Did they put any thought into this? There's just enemies everywhere and the bosses have way too much health and you die yourself in one hit.

Shattered Soldier is an extremely well-designed game and takes some practice to beat, but it's doable. I've done it myself, here's my 1CC, no deaths, S-rank playthrough.

Also, for most games listed here, you're supposed to beat them without continues. Otherwise you can't really consider having cleared them. Continues are good for practicing, but 1 Credit Clear is where it's at.

Zero107

Battletoads. Those damn hoverbikes! Now to be fair, I haven't put enough hours in to memorize the jumps and whatnot, I mean, I just get so frustrated and rage quit before I'm able to spend a decent amount of time on it. Also, is 2 player possible on an original Famicom? I believe player 2 has to press the start button, which is missing on the mic controller.
I'll probably die surrounded by plastic crap.

Nightstar699

Quote from: Ghegs on July 24, 2014, 03:11:38 am
Also, for most games listed here, you're supposed to beat them without continues. Otherwise you can't really consider having cleared them. Continues are good for practicing, but 1 Credit Clear is where it's at.

I remember we had this discussion a while back, but I'd still have to disagree with you here. As an enthusiast of 1 credit/1 life playthroughs myself, a game is still, at the very least, "cleared" even if continues are used (within reason.) Hence why 1CC warrants its own term. It'd be redundant if it was absolutely necessary for game completion, because then it'd just be synonymous with "completion".
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

P

Yeah within reason. Beating some games that are really hard but has unlimited continues feels like cheating when you have been abusing continues hundreds of times.

Quote from: Zero107 on July 25, 2014, 01:21:20 pm
Battletoads. Those damn hoverbikes! Now to be fair, I haven't put enough hours in to memorize the jumps and whatnot, I mean, I just get so frustrated and rage quit before I'm able to spend a decent amount of time on it. Also, is 2 player possible on an original Famicom? I believe player 2 has to press the start button, which is missing on the mic controller.
Yes that's like the one game that requires controller II start button (only game I know anyway). But the Japanese version has the "1 Player, 2 Player" options on the title screen. It's also much easier than PAL/US versions, including the hoverbike section.

VegaVegas

This is obviously the first time I hear anything like this and also it must be the weirdest theory I've ever heard. Beating the game means you see "the end" screen or something like this after playing the game without using any cheats. As soon as the game lets you use continues/1ups/powerups or anything and you don't use cheat codes, you still beat the game. I have no idea where this lame quote came from....

nerdynebraskan

Yeah, the hoverbike sections of Battletoads are pretty insane. They almost require memorization, or a huge reserve of extra lives farmed from the tunnel stage before it. And it's really harsh that they make you restart the section every time you fail; if they played under Contra-rules, it wouldn't be nearly so unfair.

I actually played a little bit of the Genesis version yesterday, which is easier than the NES version. (I've not played the Famicom version.) I probably had ten or more lives because of how easy it is to score them in the tunnels; the Genesis version often stops scrolling while the bird is still on screen (even after you've killed it and are just flogging it for bonus points/extra lives). I still only cleared the first hoverbike stage (which is slightly slower, for the most part) with one life to spare. (I've never beaten that stage in the NES version; I've lost my last life on the last handful of obstacles on my best run.)

And I'd also disagree with Ghegs here. Clearing a game is just a matter of reaching the end in one piece. Just surviving a game like Kiwi Kraze or Ninja Crusaders is a serious test of patience, and it is a profoundly-satisfying achievement to see that final boss blow up. If you're badass enough to take one of those games down on one credit (or one life), you've got my sincere admiration and I'll gladly admit you're a greater player than I am. But we've both beaten the game.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Ghegs

Quote from: MaarioS on July 26, 2014, 05:06:14 am

This is obviously the first time I hear anything like this and also it must be the weirdest theory I've ever heard. Beating the game means you see "the end" screen or something like this after playing the game without using any cheats. As soon as the game lets you use continues/1ups/powerups or anything and you don't use cheat codes, you still beat the game. I have no idea where this lame quote came from....

Not a lame quote and not a theory, that's how these games are played in many places. It originates from the arcade scene where using a continue would cost you actual money. So players would try to see how far they can get just using a single credit, until eventually being able to get through it with just one. If you played these games for score, you'd notice they actually reset your score (or mark it as invalidated by adding a 1 at the end, to let others know how many continues have been used) if you use a continue, so all scoring runs naturally use only a single credit. There are many games that don't even allow you access to the very last stage or boss if you've used a continue.

Hence, 1 Credit Clear is the true mark of clearing games that use credits in this way.

Go to any forum or community that plays arcade games and tell them how you beat Metal Slug or R-Type with 10 continues. See what kind of responses you get.