Last game you beat (including Famicom)

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghegs

October 05, 2014, 02:40:05 am #510 Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 02:46:09 am by Ghegs
Got Solomon's Key 2 a few weeks ago and I've been playing it ever since. Such an excellent game, you can tell it's a late Famicom release with the great graphics, animation and music. Gameplay-wise it's kind of different from the first game and obviously made exclusively for a console rather than being an arcade port. The Famicom version also has some differences to the NES version, in the former you can take back your previous moves with the Select button (infinitely, it seems), which makes it easy to test a solution out and then return to a previous state without having to reset the whole puzzle. I guess it makes the game a tad easier overall, but I'm quite happy not to have to reset the puzzle just because I accidentally erased a block I didn't mean to. And the Famicom version allows you to save your progress to the battery rather than having to use a 24-character password. There's even three save slots. (EDIT: Just noticed at least one of the puzzles has a slightly different layout in the NES version.)

Like I said, I've been playing it a lot, and I even got stuck on a few puzzles for days at a time. In the end I persevered and finished the last of the game's 100 levels today without resorting to any hints, walkthroughs or Youtube videos. Really happy about that.

And man, the game kept surprising me to the end. When I reached The End screen, I noticed that I couldn't return to the main screen, so I just set the controller down and turned away from the TV to check something on the computer. When I looked back, I noticed the screen had changed, and there was a message in Japanese. Since I can't read the language, all I understood was the letter "B" and the number "10". Jump to GameFAQS, "Oh, hold Select and press B 10 times in the main screen, okay"...

Spoiler
Holy shit 50 hidden bonus levels?!  :o
[close]

nerdynebraskan

I beat Brawl Brothers and Final Fight 2 today. Both are SNES beat 'em ups, and I beat both of them on Easy. But they were also first-time completions. (And probably last-time for Brawl Brothers, which is just kind of a so-so Final Fight wannabe anyway.)
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Nightstar699

Both good picks, Jackson, but I gotta say, I disagree with your assessment of Brawl Brothers, love the entire Rushing Beat series. Oddly enough, the original one (Rival Turf) is my favorite, and that's also the one which plays the closest to Final Fight. Rushing Beat Ran (Brawl Brothers) has more than enough unique traits to set it apart from FF, the dashing attacks, being able to hit/grab opponents while they're down, the Ikari mode, the way the levels are set up, etc.

But Final Fight 2, that's my favorite of the trilogy! I'd recommend going back and clearing it on a higher difficulty, which character did you use?
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Protoman

DDCecil

Ganbare Goemon: Yukihime Kyushutsu Emaki (SFC version of Legend of the Mystical Ninja). Loved the little new touches compared to the U.S. version including the sideshow which was shown in the U.S. manual but not included!

nerdynebraskan

I just beat Big Nose Freaks Out (NES) for the first time. It's a pretty decent ripoff of Sonic the Hedgehog.

@ nightstar

The gameplay was ok in Brawl Brothers, but the game just felt like a pretty generic 16-bit beat 'em up. The art is pretty average and the characters are pretty bland. I'd wondered if there was some relationship between Brawl Brothers and Rival Turf, and yeah Rival Turf is even more of a poor man's Final Fight.

As for my playthroughs of BB and FF2, I bounced around the characters a bit. But I generally prefer the heavyweight brawlers in these games, so I played with a lot of the big judo guy in BB and Haggar in FF2. See, I even bother to remember the name of Mike Haggar... Capcom made him interesting, at least to me.

Deejayee

Mickey mousecapade, my two year old enjoyed it more than I did

Protoman

Ninja Crusaders on Famicom, 2 Players.
Spent like 2+ hours on the last stage... Decent game but I hate 1-hit kills and the fact that whenever one player lost all lives, when the other died then they couldn't come back on the same screen again but had to start the level from the start.

nerdynebraskan

I've recently picked up a copy of Warcraft II (PS1), since my local game store had one and I had some credit there. I've been playing the crap out of it, as I've now beaten the Tides of Darkness campaigns as both the Humans and the Orcs.

Protoman

Kero Kero Keroppi Daibouken 2

Short! After 4 worlds I thought I was just halfway but then it was over.

I didn't like that this game like Wagyan Land and Kamen no Ninja Hanamaru, it had minigames instead of boss fights.. memory, janken and some number game. Mostly random when I won or lost these. Other than that, a decent enough game, enjoyable.

nerdynebraskan

I beat Krusty's Fun House (NES) for the first time this evening. Also, I beat the Beyond the Dark Portal-Human campaign in Warcraft II (PS1) last night.

BonBon

milon's secret castle. It was a little frustrating at times and the controls are pretty stiff but don't think it should get as bad a rap that it does.

Issun

I sat down and completed Ranma 1/2: Chougi Ranbu Hen on SFC this evening. Not that much depth perhaps but a fun game nonetheless.

DDCecil

Donkey Kong 64 a few days ago. I really don't like the camera (especially during the final boss battle).

P

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I couldn't find the final heartpiece but I think I got about everything else. I think it's the best Zelda since Majora's Mask!