Last game you beat (including Famicom)

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdynebraskan

Final Fantasy (NES)

I hadn't played through this in probably 15 years. It's still a magical game, even if it has a lousy magic system ironically. My party consisted of two Fighter/Knights and two Red Mage/Wizards, because I need armor and swords to deal with this game.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

P

Yeah since intelligence doesn't do anything, the only advantages the white and black mages has over the red one is their larger spell pool and larger number of spell charges. Mages (including red) also start out with the best saving throw, but they also have the lowest growth in saving throw.

I usually play with one white mage as a dedicated healer and the rest are fighter, monk and thief (I don't like to have more than one character per class). The game is hardest in the beginning, because the monk takes some time to shine and the thief is very weak until he becomes ninja.

nerdynebraskan

Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (Famicom)

It was my first time beating it, and I scored a point in the 2017 Beat Every NES Game Challenge, which includes a limited number of Famicom games this year as a special challenge. Those who are dual-members should go over and check it out. Nightstar, someone needs to beat Holy Diver. I know you're up for that.

nerdynebraskan

I beat Robocco Wars (Famicom) for the first time last night. That's a fun game that starts pretty easy and stays more or less that way until a couple of the later bosses. I don't know if I could ever beat that final boss with less than a maxed-out health bar, so I suppose it will be one of those that has to be 1CCed for me.

Mo-hd

Blaster Master. Oh man.. Loved it!!
i'm excited to play Blaster Master Zero.

Jedi Master Baiter

How long did Blaster Master take? I want to play this game to completion, but I feel done after just beating the first stage.

Mo-hd

3 to 4 hours i think. Believe me, i have play the first and second stage before 20+ time, then said something like ill finish it next time hehe ;D
once you beat stage 2 you will gradually get the feeling of achievement if i may say. :fire:

Ghegs

I finally got around to beating Darkwing Duck. I was using the cart to futz around with Analogue NT Mini's settings and ended  up beating the game while at it. Easy, but fun. Maybe I'll go for a no-death run too, shouldn't take much.

P

Warming up for Breath of Wild.
Zelda 1 (FDS version) - Both quests, all Heart Containers, secrets and zero Game Overs.
It's the first time I cleared it with no Game Overs even on the first quest. :) It's much easier than it used to be.

Next I'm going to complete Zelda 2 (FDS version) with no Game Overs. It counts saves instead of Game Overs though, so I'm counting them manually. I'm not going to try beating it without saving, that's just unpractical.

mammal93

Last game I beat was Breath of the Wild. My favorite Zelda game since the original two! Now I'm just waiting for my Disk System to get here to finally play the original Zelda. (I've played Zelda on NES to death, but never on my baby Famicom)

But yeah if you love the original Zelda, and have a Wii U or Switch, do yourself a favor and buy Breath of the Wild! It feels like they forgot about all the other games and made a modern sequel to the original title.

Protoman

Yakuza 6 (japanese version)

Good game but middle-of-the-road for the series and I'm not really satisfied with this being the last chapter for Kazuma Kiryu.

mammal93

Awesome I didn't know it was out. I considered importing it, even though I'm not good enough with the language yet, as I am a big fan of the series. I'm also a collector of anything Takeshi Kitano is involved in. Too bad to hear that it's not an epic conclusion.

P

Zelda 2 (FDS version) - All secrets and no Game Overs.
This is by far the shortest Zelda game. Puzzles are quite easy but battles are a bit harder than in Zelda 1. I beat it in about 3 or 4 sessions (but I saved more often so the save count was about 6).

Quote from: mammal93 on March 23, 2017, 08:38:29 am
Last game I beat was Breath of the Wild. My favorite Zelda game since the original two! Now I'm just waiting for my Disk System to get here to finally play the original Zelda. (I've played Zelda on NES to death, but never on my baby Famicom)

But yeah if you love the original Zelda, and have a Wii U or Switch, do yourself a favor and buy Breath of the Wild! It feels like they forgot about all the other games and made a modern sequel to the original title.

I really recommend the disk system version, the English translation has lots of mistakes and weird changes (the ones that are not changed have good translations though) not mentioning the Pols Voices, and the Japanese cart version doesn't have the FDS sound channel feature, so the FDS version is the definitive version of this game.

For Zelda 2 however, I can't say that the FDS is the definitive version though. The changes in the NES version are mostly improvements (except they removed Roto's grave! Noo!) including a better battle theme, a more useful fire spell, easier to keep your experience levels and the translation is quite good too. Although I'm no fan of NOA's anti-religion censorship (they are obviously temples not palaces, and the guardians are of divine nature created by the king).
The manual also has a bunch of strange changes that only made translating future Zelda games more complex: Stalfon became downgraded to Stalfos, Iron-nakk became Iron Knuckles (better than the Tart-nakk -> Darknut translation though) and Gerudo-orm became Geldarm (this one is mostly a matter of romanization though, but Nintendo probably meant アーム to be orm in this case (changed to worm in some later games), and Gerudo is the standard romanization for Geld since Ocarina).
I really recommend to play both versions though, they have interesting changes, and the FDS sound channel is always nice.

Oh yes I'm picking up a Switch and Zelda BOW when I have the chance. But for now I'll continue my warm up with Zelda no Densetsu Kamigami no Triforce. Haven't played it in years.

mammal93

Yeah I actually now have Zelda No Densetsu, but my Disk System is still in transit to me!

I did not realize there where any big differences in Zelda 2 in the US. Good thing I still have all my American console and games. I do want the Disk one for my collection, but I'm happy to know to just play the one I've had since I was a child.

BOTW is beyond amazing! I played it on Wii U, and the load times where bad, but it was worth it. I can't wait to get a switch and play through it again. It captures the open world and exploration of Zelda 1, and perfects the combt and everything of the 3D Zeldas. It's story is really good too. Not overly complicated, but a Breath of fresh air.  :-[

P

Oh if you haven't played Zelda 2 FDS version before, I really recommend to do it (well after you finished FDS Zelda 1). It's not really worse than the NES version, just different (some things are worse some are better). I think the FDS version is maybe a bit more challenging because you take more damage from enemies (unless I'm remembering the NES version poorly), but on the other hand there are no enemies that drains your experience points, and tektites and zoras are easier because they don't require the fire spell (which makes that spell less useful).
Also if you can read Japanese there are some interesting differences. There are also less NPC variety (no kids or fat ladies).

Yeah BOTW looks a lot Zelda 1:ish. That's actually what inspired me to play that game again to begin with. I think lately modern games have become maybe a bit too linear, I enjoy earlier RPGs where the story is driven forward without too much hand-holding and linearity.
Darn I really need a Switch now!