Windows is officially dead to me.

Started by NintendoKing, December 30, 2009, 01:51:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendoKing

December 30, 2009, 01:51:37 pm Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 01:33:12 am by The Uninvited Gremlin
I got tired of the extreme issues I was having with Windows, so I killed it and installed Ubuntu as my operating system. Yay! The Speedy fastness has returned to me!

UglyJoe

Congrats.  Now just wait until the next major Ubuntu release -- that's when the fun begins!  Nothing says "upgrade" like your video, sound, wifi, or web browser ceasing to work after "upgrading". 

Ubuntu is great when everything is working, but, when something goes wrong, it's...well, it's Linux :P

Rogles

Ubuntu is great! When I still had my netbook I ran a derivative of it called Crunchbang Linux, and it like never crashed.
( ยด_ゝ`)

NintendoKing

Quote from: Rogles on December 30, 2009, 05:34:07 pm
Ubuntu is great! When I still had my netbook I ran a derivative of it called Crunchbang Linux, and it like never crashed.
I agree, I am getting quite used to it, but its a bit difficult finding some things for it as I am realizing. Still its way faster then windows.

Ruthenium

I got Windows 7 Starter with my netbook I got for Christmas.
For crying out loud, I can't even change the wallpaper on it without a 3rd party application!

133MHz

Please, for the love of video games, wipe that hard drive clean and install a cracked copy of XP Pro (or Ubuntu Netbook Remix, whatever floats your boat). Your netbook will thank you to no end.

UglyJoe

Wow, Win 7 Starter sounds terrible.  It's like those "deluxe" versions of some software suites.

NintendoKing

Quote from: UglyJoe on January 01, 2010, 12:05:17 pm
Wow, Win 7 Starter sounds terrible.  It's like those "deluxe" versions of some software suites.

I am so tired of crummy Windows, it should have been buried after Windows 98 honestly.

UglyJoe

Note that I bolded "Starter".  Regular Win7 is great, but the "Starter" version is horribly crippled.

tonev

Kill UBUNTU use KUBUNTU
or any other distro uing KDE :)

I have dualboot windows 7 ultimate and Kubuntu :)
I am back everyone :)

133MHz

IMHO Kubuntu isn't as polished as regular Ubuntu. I prefer KDE more than Gnome as a window manager but in the case of Ubuntu all major efforts are put into the Gnome version.

NintendoKing

Quote from: 133MHz on January 01, 2010, 02:26:22 pm
IMHO Kubuntu isn't as polished as regular Ubuntu. I prefer KDE more than Gnome as a window manager but in the case of Ubuntu all major efforts are put into the Gnome version.

I have Gnome, its crisp and works amazingly well.
I have been getting quite used to using it.

Peps1ru1es92

XP is my favorite OS. Linux is good in its own right, but Windows just is a lot more compatible. Vista was absolute shit. No sane human can argue otherwise. I'm gonna use XP until my trusty old Pentium 3 PC dies out on me, then I plan to build myself a new PC with windows 7. I just can't use linux, its too complex to make it work, and it takes so much more effort than Windows does. As much as linux users may hate it, A LOT of hardware manufacturers work with "Wintel" in mind.
Hey people, TRG still exists. Come join the meh-ness.

http://trgforums.servegame.com

Ruthenium

Quote from: 133MHz on January 01, 2010, 10:20:57 am
Please, for the love of video games, wipe that hard drive clean and install a cracked copy of XP Pro (or Ubuntu Netbook Remix, whatever floats your boat). Your netbook will thank you to no end.

That would be so much easier if XP would detect my Netbook's Hard Drive.
Darn you HP for not providing driver disks!

133MHz

Yeah... forgot about the lack of SATA drivers. But here's what I do in those cases:

• Boot a live Linux distro

• Run lspci on a terminal window

• Take note of the real name of the SATA controller

• Download drivers on the 'net for said controller

• Use nLite to integrate those drivers into a Windows XP CD (and do some other neat tweaks)

• Burn new XP CD with SATA support, install as usual

Also, if you look around you might find modified XP ISOs with the most common SATA drivers built-in.